Hello from the St. Louis Area

For our new members to introduce themselves
jsbcody
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Previous experience with labs and GSDs. Both of my GSDs had Degenerative Myelopathy, so I do not want to go through that again. I am exploring the option of getting a Dutch Shepherd as my next dog and want to do research first.

Hello from the St. Louis Area

Post by jsbcody »

Hi;

I joined the forum so I can do some research on Dutch Shepherds and breeders. My dog experience is growing up with two labrador retrievers (hunting dogs trained by my father and I), K9 handler in US Air Force Security Police (what we were called in the 1980s) where I worked with a GSD and a Mal during my time in. Since then I have had two GSDs (male and then a female), both working lines, and did Schutzhund with them. Unfortunately both my GSDs developed degenerative myelopathy right at 9 years old. While I like the GSD working lines and loved my dogs, I will not put myself through that heartache again.

So I am researching information on Dutch Shepherds and putting a list of good breeders together to talk with about getting a pup sometime in the spring or summer.

All my dogs have been house dogs......most have had their favorite chair or couch. :D I have a home with a large fenced in back yard and a 10' x 10' kennel in it. I don't leave my dogs in the kennel, I got it when my male GSD decided that all muddy puddles needed to be thoroughly explored (an attitude that lasted his whole life).........picture letting in a 20-80 lbs ball of mud while dressed for work and getting ready to go out the door. So kennel was used for the dogs to do their business in and to prevent a repeat of what is now referred to as the mud ball apocalypse. :D

I am looking at becoming the "double nickel" this year (55 years old), so I am a little older and a little slower. I have done outdoor activities with my GSDs and continue to do so with a new dog: hiking, biking, walking/jogging, etc. Plans for this dog will be either Schutzhund, Agility, SAR, etc.

I live alone but have kids living all around me with no other animals in my home. I am looking at a dog that will be a companion first, protective, and enjoys activities. When I was going through K9 school, a wise old trainer told me that he always looked for dogs that were confident, calm, and controlled. Getting those three traits involved damn good genes, good socialization, and good training.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Hello from the St. Louis Area

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Things have been kinda slow here lately. I think there's a few people that may post with recommendations, but it might be a while before they get back here. Do some searches on here. Take some notes and do some more research on the folks you'll find mentioned in here. There's an awful lot of useful and anecdotal info stored in this forum.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Welcome. Where did you go to high school? Can you guess where I'm from? This is a great forum to get NFL. I bought Lexi from Cher car kennels a little over two years ago. The first year was rough but we got through it. She is a great dog now. One thing that drew me to this breed was lack of health issues compared to other breeds.
jsbcody
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Previous experience with labs and GSDs. Both of my GSDs had Degenerative Myelopathy, so I do not want to go through that again. I am exploring the option of getting a Dutch Shepherd as my next dog and want to do research first.

Post by jsbcody »

k9lexi.....McCluer North. :D

The lack of health issues is one of the things that has drawn me to the breed. Cher Car Kennels is one of the ones I have seen recommended on the forum and is on my list. My list so far:

Vrijheid
Thunder Hawk
Seven Pines
Cher Car
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Lindbergh and I bet we graduated about the same year. I don't know about others but I'm happy with Lexi. Her parents are Lothar and Luna. If you tell them what you need they will find the right match for you.