Hello from Boston My new DS KY rescue Cocoa

For our new members to introduce themselves
Chrisna35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up our DS rescue girl next week 3/4/17 from a shelter in KY. They thought it was a pitbull before the foster mom saved her. God bless rescues

Hello from Boston My new DS KY rescue Cocoa

Post by Chrisna35 »

Hello from Boston. We just adopted a year old rescue from KY. Her name is Cocoa about a year old and awesome. This is our first DS and I'm looking forward to learning from this forum. I tried to attach some pics.
Attachments
IMG_5620.JPG
IMG_5620.JPG (780.95 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG (611.5 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Hello from Boston My new DS KY rescue Cocoa

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. Thank you for rescuing.

She looks like a sweetheart, but these dogs all seem to have that sinful charm.

What's next? You have already started training, right?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Chrisna35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up our DS rescue girl next week 3/4/17 from a shelter in KY. They thought it was a pitbull before the foster mom saved her. God bless rescues

Post by Chrisna35 »

Thanks. We have started training. Curious if others are using Dutch commands and if you can share. Also we are debating which style of training collar is best. Our golden had gentle leader
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

Cocoa is beautiful!

I think the training collar depends on the attitude of the dog.

My advice is to build a trusting relationship before getting into a lot of training. And then you can be creative with the training to make it more like fun and less like a job. As a general rule, don't use compulsion in the beginning. And avoid the "yank and crank" methods.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Patrick wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:46 pm Cocoa is beautiful!

I think the training collar depends on the attitude of the dog.

My advice is to build a trusting relationship before getting into a lot of training. And then you can be creative with the training to make it more like fun and less like a job. As a general rule, don't use compulsion in the beginning. And avoid the "yank and crank" methods.
I second every word. Start with focusing drills. Lots and lots of focusing drills. Get that little dog so crazy happy to see you and make you happy! Every time he just comes up to you out of the blue, heap treats and praise upon him. Every time she makes eye contact with you, give her food. Follow in that vein for a week at least!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Any idea about his past?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Chrisna35
Just Whelped

Post by Chrisna35 »

Thanks for all the words of advice. We've got bags of training treats ready for this too skinny girl. Kentucky lab rescue found her in a shelter where they had labeled her a pit bull because of the brindle. The rescue fostered her for 6 weeks where she got healthy, socialized and learned some basic leash and food time rules. She was great with other dogs at Petco today and is quick on sit and off commands. She has no fear or flinch in her which is great and loving all the pets and attention our family of 6 welcomed her with today.
She doesn't love enclosures or crates. May have spent too much time crated up in her past.
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

I'd like to add that I'm just an amateur but I have owned, trained and helped train personal protection dogs and police service dogs, primarily in obedience and bite work. But by no means am I an expert. I just enjoy doing it. :)