Hello!!! New to the group!!!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Hello!!! New to the group!!!

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

You have no idea how many times clients get yelled at for letting kids do whatever they want to the dog and then getting upset when the dog growls or snaps or bites the child! Ugh and the alpha roll thing still gets me! I really wish this Breeder would stop breeding if she thinks a malinois is a pet because the rest of the litter where Dutchies and on top of that it's a puppy and wasn't aggressive enough smfh
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree Steve ! I do at home training and it just kills me what people let the kids do. Adult humans are bad too, they let other people do things to their dogs that I just want to scream, someone is going to loose a hand.

Even Thalie, who is low prey drive is NOT a pet. I would never have this breed if I did not have the intense. training that I did.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I feel ya! Yoda and I train 4-5 days a week for ipo and he lives in a pen in the yard when not training... (he comes in at night) Tweek and I trained almost everyday for 6-7 years before she finally became a "pet" lol people do the dumbest things with dogs and their beliefs on behavior and anthropomorphism kills me
maggies50
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hiya I purchased. Dutch shepherd. a month ago just wanted some information about the dogs he is 5 month old.

Hi I'm new to the group I got my dog at a rescue centre

Post by maggies50 »

Hi all I got my dog max from a rescue centre he is 5 months old I Ben doing research and he looks very much like a dutch shepherd to me can anyone help I'm going to try and post a pic on here thankyou . Hi I have no idea how to get pics on here can someone help thankyou.
Last edited by maggies50 on Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maggies50
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hiya I purchased. Dutch shepherd. a month ago just wanted some information about the dogs he is 5 month old.

Re: Hi I'm new to the group I got my dog at a rescue centre

Post by maggies50 »

maggies50 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 pm Hi all I got my dog max from a rescue centre he is 5 months old I Ben doing research and he looks very much like a dutch shepherd to me can anyone help I'm going to try and post a pic on here thankyou.
maggies50 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 pm Hi all I got my dog max from a rescue centre he is 5 months old I Ben doing research and he looks very much like a dutch shepherd to me can anyone help I'm going to try and post a pic on here thankyou.
maggies50 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 pm Hi all I got my dog max from a rescue centre he is 5 months old I Ben doing research and he looks very much like a dutch shepherd to me can anyone
e: DSC_0078.JPG help I'm going to try and post a pic on here thankyou.
TwistedAtlas
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I've recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd puppy whom is currently in obedience training. I'll get to pick him up next month. I also have a 10 year old border collie.

Post by TwistedAtlas »

Wait a second, I recognize that puppy picture. You're in the Facebook group! I just got on here myself too (I had to have them manually activate my account so it took a bit before I could actually post ^_^) but regardless, hello and welcome!
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm
This should be played on TV
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Depends on what a “pet” is to you. You’ve had GSDs Which are also high drive not as much as mals or dutchies but high drive nonetheless. And you’ve had a wolf hybrid for Christ’s sake! Who the hell can tell you what should and shouldn’t have as a pet! Haha. But umm yea if you were someone who mainly had labradors your whole life and you said you wanted one cause they look cool I’d advise against it strongly but I don’t think that’s the case. It wouldn’t be my suggestion for a family dog or anything but a responsible dog owner with the right lifestyle can certainly enjoy one as a pet. If you’re looking for a dog to lay around all day you got the wrong one for sure but that’s not what it sounds like. Don’t be frightened by the “can’t be pets” talk. But do proceed with caution or or be ready to play. Constantly.

Another thing you said that got my attention was the therapy thing tho.... noooot probably the best option for that in my opinion. Not sure what about public places gives you anxiety. If you want something to protect you that’s one thing but if you’re not wanting to call attention to yourself or you get social anxiety, that’s another. They’re very fussy, they’ll whine, fidgit, constantly adjust they’re position, and probably bark at anything and everything that moves. Zoey will be laying down and get up and pace across the room twice, spin three times and lay back down in the exact same spot. They certainly have the ability to embarrass you in public if they’re not properly trained.

The protection thing is going to be more dependent on the temperament of your dog than whether or not you personally prefer her to be a protection dog and from what I’ve heard it sounds like she’s not quite the right fit but I’m not the expert and I haven’t seen her in person. For protection dogs tho you typically want very high drive and loves to bite. High prey drive.

I would listen to them on the alpha rolling tho this go round especially if you had a male and especially if you do go protection route. You’ll get yourself bit when they’re old enough doing that kinda thing. And If I were training a dog for protection I would never put it on its back and from the time you have it till forever it should win every game of tug of war etc. build the confidence in the dog.

Sorry for dragging on but yea! Get some good training and enjoy your new addition! Good looking Malinois. Welcome!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas