New Member looking for first dutch shepherd

For our new members to introduce themselves
tnev123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Active duty military currently considering getting a Dutch Shepherd.

New Member looking for first dutch shepherd

Post by tnev123 »

Hi, I am a active duty soldier stationed out of ft hood, tx. Currently in the process of looking for a dutch shepherd breeder. I am married with a 1 year old daughter, trying to find a dog that will be a good mix of family dog/protection dog. I have never had a dutch shepherd before, but grew up with Bernese mountain dogs and trained my Shetland sheepdog in agility and obedience. My most recent dog was a 10 year old american bulldog that just passed away last month. Not looking to buy a dog until i get home from deployment in roughly 9 months but would love to get on a waitlist. If you have any tips send me a message.
Trevor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: New Member looking for first dutch shepherd

Post by Dutchringgirl »

First...............Thank you for your service !!

What are you looking for as far as for what the dog will do as a family dog and what do you want it to do as a protection dog? Will you be going back on deployment ? What will you be doing for work when you are back, will the dog be staying home with your wife? does your wife have dog exp?

This breed is not really a family dog, it is really meant for heavy work,such as police work or Ring sport or many of the other sports. They are used to being worked and trained all day. They will bond to one human tightly, so if that is you and you leave, your wife may have a hard time gaining the respect of the dog.

You also want to make sure your daughter learns that this is not a play toy ( no disrespect) THey do not like hugs, pokes, and the like.

Now, many of the dogs here, will take hugs, and snuggles, but be warned. My Sadie hates physical contact, but my Thalie is fine.

This is a whole different breed than anything out there.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 pm First...............Thank you for your service !!

What are you looking for as far as for what the dog will do as a family dog and what do you want it to do as a protection dog? Will you be going back on deployment ? What will you be doing for work when you are back, will the dog be staying home with your wife? does your wife have dog exp?

This breed is not really a family dog, it is really meant for heavy work,such as police work or Ring sport or many of the other sports. They are used to being worked and trained all day. They will bond to one human tightly, so if that is you and you leave, your wife may have a hard time gaining the respect of the dog.

You also want to make sure your daughter learns that this is not a play toy ( no disrespect) THey do not like hugs, pokes, and the like.

Now, many of the dogs here, will take hugs, and snuggles, but be warned. My Sadie hates physical contact, but my Thalie is fine.

This is a whole different breed than anything out there.
I agree 100% (except you missed ipo!!! Lol) honestly a German shepherd would suit your family much better... if you are familiar with malinois from being in the service maybe that helps you understand... this really is a working breed and shouldn't be a pet! I work mine 4 days a week and compete all year and that still isn't enough for mine... and exactly what she said if I leave my dogs have to come with me! They love my girl and kids but don't respect them and it would be an issue! The other thing that worries me is the small child! They can very quickly get bit over a toy or even just being small and moving fast... I'm not just a sport dog trainer myself and dutchgirl are both professional dog trainers as well! I'd recommend a gsd
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 pm First...............Thank you for your service !!

Awesome questions, I would say that the Dutch Shepherd will indeed be great for you if the answer to all these questions permits.

If you are going back to deployment, take dutchringgirls advice that these dogs breed very much to one person. You may be looking for that, I know I was. Also, I agree that mine isn't all cuddles and that's probably because I never really asked him to be either.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you for your service. Best wishes to you and your family as you look for your newest family member.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Duke wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 am

Also, I agree that mine isn't all cuddles and that's probably because I never really asked him to be either.

Sometimes they just arent snuggly even if you aske them to snuggle. Sadie does not like to be touched. YOu can walk a foot away from her and she gets mad. She likes scratches but wont come sit on your lap
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage