For our new members to introduce themselves
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Louisville,ky

Post by Jas31663166 »

Hey,
Im expecting my first ds puppy in roughly 8 weeks and im very excited
Im going to check out a few dog trainers in my area to see which one would be a better fit for what im looking for, does anyone have any recommendation?
1. Obedience training
2.heel,sit,stay etc.
3. Flyball,disc,bite work,dock jumping

I would also like to find a working dog or ds group in the area . (Louisville, ky)

Thanks and im excited to learn from you guy's/gals
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Louisville,ky

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. Hopefully we've got some members close by who can help.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

I hope so, ive owned working dogs in the pass but never a ds
I know there a whole new level so I've been researching for a long time before I decided to purchase my puppy
I just want to make sure I give it the right guidance so I know it will be a happy healthy dog
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

welome!! what made you decide on a DS?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

I have always had active breeds and when I was younger I had a pair of working German Shepherds which I really enjoyed.
So after a lot of research I decided to go with the Dutch Shepherd seemed like the perfect fit for what I'm looking for in a dog.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Here you go

Wildcat schutzhund club
Terri Limbaugh
Louisville KY
532-235-9607
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

Thanks..
Ill try and call in the morning but are local area code is 502 so im not sure if you ment 532?
I have googled the number both ways and didnt find anything
I also googled the owner and the name of the training facility but the only thing I can find is in lexington which is a little over a hour away from me.
Thanks
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Jas31663166 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 am Thanks..
Ill try and call in the morning but are local area code is 502 so im not sure if you ment 532?
I have googled the number both ways and didnt find anything
I also googled the owner and the name of the training facility but the only thing I can find is in lexington which is a little over a hour away from me.
Thanks
My bad! It is 502
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

I called and spoke to Terri, she was extremely nice and helpful but they are not doing much training these days.
She said they are a small group of about 5 dogs that compete but she give me the name of
og indianapolis schutzhund which is apparently one of the best in the US and she highly recommended them
Indy is about an hour and half away so im hopping to do basic obedience classes around here and then maybe once he is several months old i can bring him to OG once a week are so .
But I won't know anything for sure rite now, she said that they are in New York for some kind of competition and won't be back until next week so I'll talk to them and hope for the best.
Thanks
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Mike Diehl is awesome! Once a week isn't enough for that kind of training and you'd honestly be wasting time... an hour and a half ain't bad for a top notch schutzhund club!!! I drive 12 hours every couple of months to train in Ohio with dean Calderon! Our club trains 3 days a week and I train all week in between.. a sport like schutzhund takes a lot of time and hard work... that's why I'm saying once a week is just wasting time
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I was lucky to have a Ring club 5 sminutes from me. I was on the field training every day. For a bit, I drove about an hour to work with another trainer who was great. Its worth the drive.
ImageImage
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

My plan would hopefully be going up there several times a month (4 to 7)and in between learn enough to work on my own at home in between going to Indy

Does this seem feasible?
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

You get what you put into them! If you are just wanting to play around in the sport that's enough... but Mikes club is a very serious club that competes at national and world championship level! They may want more commitment for a club like that but then again they may not... I train 3-4 days a week with club and everyday at home! Honestly if you want to learn and do well 2-3 days a week is best... once a week and an extra day here or there really won't get you far in schutzhund... now with a puppy that would be enough cause you really don't do a ton of training until they are older and what you do at club you can do at home with that kind of time... they only thing you'll be missing is a great education and learning the rules and how the sport goes and seeing high end training... so your learning process will take much longer and you'll miss a lot of steps from missing watching and listening to everyone train... dog sports take a lot of time and dedication!
Last edited by Steve Gossmeyer on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

If I lived an hour and a half from Mike I'd be training 5 days a week lol
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

Thanks guys for all the info
I will do my best to go as often as I can if he has time for another dog.
Hopefully I'll get good news next week when he gets back.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Jas31663166 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:58 pm Thanks guys for all the info
I will do my best to go as often as I can if he has time for another dog.
Hopefully I'll get good news next week when he gets back.
Good luck!!!! I love the sport and training and my dogs love it
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

Thanks Steve!
Counting the days
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm If I lived an hour and a half from Mike I'd be training 5 days a week lol
Me TOO!!!
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Jas31663166 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 pm My plan would hopefully be going up there several times a month (4 to 7)and in between learn enough to work on my own at home in between going to Indy

Does this seem feasible?
Its not as easy as it sounds. these dogs are very tricky and if you , by mistake, teach them something you don't want them to know, your going to be in some deep doo doo. This type of work is not really to be done alone. Even my trainers worked together, the decoys were always learning and working together. Its tricky work and its not easy to do alone.

yes, the basics you can but if you don't have someone watching you, where is the dogs rear ? Is he stopping right at his shoulder? Is he leaving with your left leg? is he looking at you? Who will do some callouts for you? And I could go on and on. Even entry level work will take hours and hours and the dog and you could pick up some really bad habits.
ImageImage
Jas31663166
Puppy

Post by Jas31663166 »

I think I can swing 3 a week if i really push so I'll be shooting for that..
Everyone has talked me into it lol