New to DS

For our new members to introduce themselves
kikilou121
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Quincy - > 1.5 year old GSD mix ; Luna, 12 week old Dutch mix (?) rescued ; Mika

New to DS

Post by kikilou121 »

Hey guys!

Last week I adopted what we think is a 12 week old DS, possible mixed named Mika. She was dropped at a shelter with no history. As of today she is 13 pounds and unspayed. At home I have a 1.5 year old GSD mix that we have had since she was 6 weeks old named Luna. We have a good trainer who specializes with working dogs. Luna doesn't do any protection work but is tracking trained as well as off leash obedience. I expect my dogs to be family dogs and easily adaptable to people and dogs as my family gets together often with all of the dog children in tow :lol: . Luna was a lot of work to train but I don't remember being it anything like this. Mika has a high tug drive and is highly food motivated. She had a hard bite and trying to release gets her more driven. She can be a very sweet puppy at times, cuddling on the couch, giving kisses, and does wonderful in her crate. But some play turns to bites, growls and snapping her head back at me. I am prepared to work with my trainer starting next week but joined the group to get more insight on the differences I am going to have with Mika compared to Luna and get as educated as possible with different resources.
Attachments
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG (43.67 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG (44.32 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG (40.19 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG (39.7 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: New to DS

Post by Joxgirl »

Goodness. Sounds like she has a lot of life to her. Makes me wonder why she was placed in a shelter. I think her attitude could be just part of her breed personality and with good training she might be just be the most wonderful girl. Best of luck to you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

welcome, cool dogs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

kikilou121 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:52 am Hey guys!

e. I expect my dogs to be family dogs and easily adaptable to people and dogs as my family gets together often with all of the dog children in tow :lol: .
i advise to not have this expectation . DS dont always like everyone, they are protection dogs.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm
kikilou121 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:52 am Hey guys!

e. I expect my dogs to be family dogs and easily adaptable to people and dogs as my family gets together often with all of the dog children in tow :lol: .
i advise to not have this expectation . DS dont always like everyone, they are protection dogs.
I second this. my dog tolerates all the town kids, but they get so close to his face that I need to remind them, even though he's a nice dog - don't ever go so close to a dog you aren't too familiar with.

in adult terms - my dog is tolerating you, step back!