Training

For our new members to introduce themselves
eden_hillside
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an active senior/retired Professional Dog Trainer. I currently own a DS female that will be 2 in Sept. She is not my first Working dog, having owned GSD's (German/ American lines) in the past. My DS is mostly black with very little brindle (color fault). Anyway, I have also owned and titled other breeds; Springers, Brittanys, American Staffordshire, Chihuahua, etc. This DS is not like any dog that I have ever worked with before. The breeder of my DS didn't like her temperament. I hope to learn more about this breed from your forum.

Training

Post by eden_hillside »

Greetings from Arizona! My name is Cheryl, I'm a retired Professional Dog Trainer, 45+ yrs in the business and I'm now experiencing my first DS. I stumbled upon this forum while researching for more information on the DS temperament, thinking that there was something wrong with my DS named "Eden." Never having owned or worked with a DS before, I felt more at ease scanning through the forums comments. Yes, these dogs are NOT like other dogs. It's been quite an experience thus far. Currently, I am working on CD and CDX. This dog wants to do everything at top speed. I'm backing up on a few things right now, some call "pac-man" component work. She's a real pistol. Anyway, you folks have more experience with this breed than I do. Patience?? Can I borrow some? She's 2 in September, do they ever settle down? Cheryl
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Training

Post by TimL_168 »

Welcome! If you have any insight into her lines, that should give you some idea. My girl is two. She settled down a little around that mark.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome. I'm not sure about settling down but they will start to understand more of what you want from them and what they are supposed to do ( or not lol)

I have a 15 yo that I did ring sport with, she still is very active despite her rear not working too well. I also have a crack head 8 yo who has yet to settle down.

You should have no problem with your CD and CDX, they learn fast
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
eden_hillside
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an active senior/retired Professional Dog Trainer. I currently own a DS female that will be 2 in Sept. She is not my first Working dog, having owned GSD's (German/ American lines) in the past. My DS is mostly black with very little brindle (color fault). Anyway, I have also owned and titled other breeds; Springers, Brittanys, American Staffordshire, Chihuahua, etc. This DS is not like any dog that I have ever worked with before. The breeder of my DS didn't like her temperament. I hope to learn more about this breed from your forum.

Post by eden_hillside »

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have a pedigree but looks like no one has done anything with the line here in the US. I should have a pedigree done? Any recommendations?

Eden, will be 2 next month, no change in energy level yet. She is still growing. She's nearly all black, easty westy front, fine boned, certainly not correct in a lot of ways. I'm not perfect either, we make a great pair. We both love to camp and fish. When I get a trout on shore; Eden gives it the front feet tendering process. She does the Indy 500 race behind my chair at the lake packing a stick, just waiting for her next set victim. 😁 I will post her photo soon.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh sticks are the best !!! Sadie will find all of the sticks and either carry them or attack them !

Dont really count on a decline on energy level, these dogs are meant to go all day. With training though, it will get easier to let them know what you want and to lay down for a bit to give you a break. But be ready to engage with them a lot or give her a job.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
eden_hillside
Just Whelped

Post by eden_hillside »

I'm so glad my girl is normal; now some how I have to find away to convince my brother and friends of that. 😁 Thanks ever so much.