Tom from Upstate NY

For our new members to introduce themselves
Tboy28
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm looking to own my first dog as an adult. Growing up I had a German Shepherd followed by a York silky mix.

Tom from Upstate NY

Post by Tboy28 »

I'm in the market for purchasing a dog...I had German Shepherd in my early years followed by a polar opposite Yorky/silky mix. Now that I have my own place I've been doing a lot of research on different breeds and I feel that the Dutch Shepherd breed would suit my girlfriend and I the best. However, I'm not really familiar with breeders and where I should be looking. Any help or suggestions would be great!!!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Tom from Upstate NY

Post by centrop67 »

You will be surprised how much your experience has ill-prepared you for a DS. I don't know enough about you to say you can't handle it, but keep this in mind.

Training, exercise, and surprises are in store for you.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

If you want to make a trip to Long Island and spend some time around some quality dogs you are welcome to visit my ipo club and see my group of Dutchies!!! I also have a really excellent litter on the ground right now that’s two weeks old from my personal competition dog and an excellent bitch with amazing pedigrees! That’s not saying a dutchie is for you or not but you’ll get experience with the breed and have a local well bred excellent litter to choose from! (I screen every potential Owner anyway and will be flat out honest if this breed is for you or not!) these dogs are high energy working dogs with quirks and aren’t for everyone! 917-828-0680 is my number if you are interested in good a hands on up close education with the breed! You can also follow me on Instagram at dogsoncueny
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 pm You will be surprised how much your experience has ill-prepared you for a DS. I don't know enough about you to say you can't handle it, but keep this in mind.

Training, exercise, and surprises are in store for you.
I do agree here these dogs are beautiful but a lot to handle no amount of online research can prepare you for what you are really getting into