Hi - wondering if Kovu is DS

For our new members to introduce themselves
Bec+Kovu
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in Sydney Aus, with five rescue animals - Kovu (?DS), two ferrets and two cats. Oh, and 5 kids too. Not much peace in our house :)

Hi - wondering if Kovu is DS

Post by Bec+Kovu »

We adopted Kovu a couple of months back - he'd been abandoned at around 9 months :cry: and no, it doesn't matter if he's DS or not. The shelter thought he was a GS and yes, he's got a Shepherd looking head & big ears but otherwise... not really GS looking even to my untrained eye. We thought he was some mix and didn't care.

But this week we were asked to research our dog's breed for puppy school this week :yernuts:, then some guy on the beach asked if he was DS, so of course we googled. And some of the pics look just like him. He ticks a lot of the boxes - brindle hair, shepherdy face, white patch etc. And his character is spot on - smart, independent, loyal etc. But... he's a bit big (34 Kg - which is 74lb) and those ears are just HUGE - some of the pics I've seen have much smaller ears. But then the pics vary a lot too.

So I figured I'd ask you guys - I'm really not clued up on what I'm looking for. Like I said, who cares anyway - he's just himself - but it would be nice to have an answer when people ask. Oh, and to be able to do my puppy school homework.....

Attachments
IMG_0200r2.jpg
IMG_0200r2.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Bec (adopted Kovu - looks kinda DS to me???)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Hi - wondering if Kovu is DS

Post by TimL_168 »

Can't really see anything definitive from this picture. The curve on the bottom edge of the ears reminds my of my sled dogs more so than my shepherds. The skull looks more rounded in this pic; like some type of lab or hound.
Regardless, he's a handsome critter! If his personality seems congruent with the DS, then you may well find useful and fun info on this site!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Handsome boy. It’s possible he’s mixed with DS.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Nope. but he looks like a wonderful boy !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage