New dog mom!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Ahopkins91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Amanda. I just became a dog mom to a beautiful dutch/german shepherd mix. She is 11 weeks old and is super smart! I'm still new to this breed but eager to learn! Bailey can be timid in situations where there is new people and new places. We are working on socializing her more!

New dog mom!

Post by Ahopkins91 »

Hi!
My name is Amanda and I am a new dog mom to a beautiful 11 week old dutch/ german shepherd mix! My boyfriend has owned German Shepherds his whole life so now we are learning the dutch side of things.

When we brought Bailey home she was very timid. We thought that it was just new surroundings, but have found she is still timid in new situations and new people. Will this get better in time? Is this common in these breeds or just her personality? We have already started to socialize her with people and other dogs in hopes that it will bring her out of her shell.

Another thing I wasn't use to (and maybe it is just her personality) is that she is not a cuddler...lol she is content with sitting across the room from me. Even though she is not a cuddler she is always at my boyfriend or my side following us around the house.

Bailey is so smart! She has picked up on tricks so fast! I love watching her learn!

If anyone has any advice for this new dog mom please let me know! Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Bailey
Bailey
Screenshot_20180602-153159_Facebook.jpg (732.45 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Bailey
Bailey
Screenshot_20180602-153212_Facebook.jpg (902.52 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Re: New dog mom!

Post by oddbird »

My boy was quite timid at first too. He can still be apprehensive about certain things, but gets over it pretty quickly now. Just keep exposing her to all sorts of situations and be encouraging about it, but don’t pander to behaviors like cowering behind you. Just take it slow so that hopefully doesn’t happen (aka stay below threshold). That’s at least what I did, and he has become quite confident!

For the cuddling, it just depends on the dog but I would say this breed isn’t going to be quite as cuddly as a Maltese would be, for example. I think some of that comes with age too :) My trainer’s didn’t even entertain the idea of giving a cuddle out until a year old. My boy is snuggly in the morning but that’s it lol!

Congrats on the new cutie!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

What a gorgeous puppy. At 11 weeks, she's still trying to figure everything out, so make sure there's nothing but positive interaction all the way around.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Ahopkins91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Amanda. I just became a dog mom to a beautiful dutch/german shepherd mix. She is 11 weeks old and is super smart! I'm still new to this breed but eager to learn! Bailey can be timid in situations where there is new people and new places. We are working on socializing her more!

Post by Ahopkins91 »

Thanks everyone!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I always cuddle but some do not like it. Sadie likes to be pet but not to snuggle, that is what my basset hound is for.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Welcome! Cute pupper!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas