Glad we found this forum

For our new members to introduce themselves
MJM
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have always had dogs, but Raven is my first rescue and, as it would turn out, my first Dutchie. She’s a GSD Dutch Shepherd mix and she’s the dog who’s teaching me everything I didn’t know about dog training.

Glad we found this forum

Post by MJM »

Hi, and thank you for creating this forum. I am an accidental Dutch Shepherd owner. I have always had dogs but Raven was my first rescue. At the age of 11 weeks she and her brother and sister were rescued from an Australian pound that had already euthanised their mother. They spent the next few weeks in isolation because of exposure to parvo (thankfully they didn’t contract it), and we brought her home around 16 weeks. She’s now 3. When we adopted her we guessed she was part GSD but didn’t know what could explain the brindle. It wasn’t until I was at a herding dog school (I thought maybe there was some kelpie in there!) that someone mentioned Dutch Shepherds for the first time. I had never heard of them. I did a DNA test and sure enough, she’s a GSD x Dutch shepherd with some greyhound mixed in a few generations back.
Raven is the dog who is making me a better trainer and handler. Although I’ve had dogs my whole life, she’s showing me all the things I didn’t know. In particular I will be combing this forum for tips, advice, and wisdom on helping her be at ease with guests in the house.
We also have a little red terrier from a rescue who initially had no social skills but does a fantastic impression of a car alarm!
Thanks for having us!
Raven as a puppy
The attachment RavenPuppy.jpg is no longer available
Majestic Raven
The attachment RavenBed.jpg is no longer available
Not-so-majestic Raven
RavenPuppy.jpg
RavenPuppy.jpg (389.79 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Glad we found this forum

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for rescuing.

Raven reminds me of my former dog Snickers who had brindle socks too.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers