Got a new puppy and challenges being started

For our new members to introduce themselves
Sho489
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 45 years old male single. I'm a cancer patient. I live by my own in Hamilton Ontario. I just got a beautiful lovely female Dutch Shepherd puppy who is 2 months. I got her from a breeder in Ottawa Canada. Have some concern and challenge with her and would like to share with friends here and get advice to handle the situation. Thank you

Got a new puppy and challenges being started

Post by Sho489 »

Hello everyone,
I just got a 70 days female Dutch Shepherd and i named her Banoo. She is very lovely beautiful girl but I'm experiencing new challenges. She started to bark and don't listen to me when i say No or shush. I still didn't start crate training, i tried one time but she started to bark very loudly non stop. I appreciate for any advice. Thank you
Attachments
20180723_134939.jpg
20180723_134939.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2477 times
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Re: Got a new puppy and challenges being started

Post by oddbird »

Welcome! Very cute puppy :)

I would recommend finding a working dog trainer as soon as you can. Dogs don’t inherently know what “No” or “sush” means, they will have to be taught. Same thing for the crate. Almost all dogs will start out making a ruckus. Try moving the crate into your bedroom and start crate games! Positive reinforcement is the best way to go with puppies and all dogs.

In the mean time, I think it would be beneficial for you to look into doing Mike Ritland’s Team Dog in-line training.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Sho489
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 45 years old male single. I'm a cancer patient. I live by my own in Hamilton Ontario. I just got a beautiful lovely female Dutch Shepherd puppy who is 2 months. I got her from a breeder in Ottawa Canada. Have some concern and challenge with her and would like to share with friends here and get advice to handle the situation. Thank you

Post by Sho489 »

Thank you very much oddbird for your great helpful comment.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

A checklist-

Patience and consistency.

Crate games.

Short periods of basic obedience training.
Sit
Down
Stay
Leave it
Drop it
Come

Short instances of just play.

Simply observe and reward acceptable behavior.

Redirect biting to appropriate toys.

Get assistance from a trainer that knows the breed.

Welcome to the forum.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Sho489
Just Whelped

Post by Sho489 »

Thank you very much for your great helpful comment.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I am hoping that your breeder discussed your needs and capabilities before selling you a Dutch Shepherd. This is not a breed that should go to just any home. And, based on your profile, you have your own challenges already. Your breeder should also be able to give you information about training resources.

I know I posted a generalized checklist above, but these are daily activities that you will need to perform to have a happy and well-adjusted dog.

You absolutely cannot give up after just one try of anything. If the puppy whines and barks in the crate, you have to be strong and patient enough to wait it out. As soon as she is calm, you then mark it with a word or phrase like "good girl" and then immediately reward the behavior with a treat. You can also use a clicker as a marker.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Sho489
Just Whelped

Post by Sho489 »

Thank you very much for your great comment. I got hope by your comments. Otherwise I'm close to give up and found out maybe this breed was not a good choice for me. I love her so much, however i found this breed is a challenge when i don't have enough experience with the breed. Thank you again.
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm I am hoping that your breeder discussed your needs and capabilities before selling you a Dutch Shepherd. This is not a breed that should go to just any home. And, based on your profile, you have your own challenges already. Your breeder should also be able to give you information about training resources.

I know I posted a generalized checklist above, but these are daily activities that you will need to perform to have a happy and well-adjusted dog.

You absolutely cannot give up after just one try of anything. If the puppy whines and barks in the crate, you have to be strong and patient enough to wait it out. As soon as she is calm, you then mark it with a word or phrase like "good girl" and then immediately reward the behavior with a treat. You can also use a clicker as a marker.
+1 :wtg:
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Fairness. Consistency. Patience.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Sho489
Just Whelped

Post by Sho489 »

Thank you very much Tim.