New, looking for a short haired Dutch pup

For our new members to introduce themselves
Nscul
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Looking for a pup

New, looking for a short haired Dutch pup

Post by Nscul »

Interested in a short haired Dutch pup. I’m located in Louisiana. Have one other dog. A pit bull mix. Looking to add a Dutch. Or Dutch mix to the house.
Nscul
Just Whelped

Re: New, looking for a short haired Dutch pup

Post by Nscul »

Can’t seem to find one around. Any known breeders or rescues?!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum. What exactly are you looking to get out of a Dutch Shepherd. Any specific work or competition? What made you want a Dutch Shepherd?

Have you considered rescue? Check out the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherd Rescue
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Nscul
Just Whelped

Post by Nscul »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am Welcome to the forum. What exactly are you looking to get out of a Dutch Shepherd. Any specific work or competition? What made you want a Dutch Shepherd?

Have you considered rescue? Check out the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherd Rescue
Don’t mean this to come off wrong but I didn’t know I needed a reason.. I want another dog, more athletic and energetic than my pit. I’d like to get into obedience competitions.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

When it comes to the DS, a reason to have one is good. This is not the breed that you just add to a house for just having another dog. These are protection dogs. They do not always get along with others, human or animal. They are one human dogs and may not bond easily to another human in the house. They can be very destructive if left alone for long periods of time, or even if you are home and they are not kept busy.

There are plenty of other breeds /mixes that are great for adding to the house and for doing competitions.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 pm When it comes to the DS, a reason to have one is good.
All that I have experienced with my own dog and have seen with this (and other groups) is that Lisa is 100% correct.

That's why the usual question when someone is looking for or asking about whether a DS is right for them, we almost always ask why.

Please take a moment to read this Post -> http://dutchshepherdforum.com/viewtopic ... f8e#p51086

Also, what about the rescue path?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Nscul
Just Whelped

Post by Nscul »

Thanks for the advice, but probably going to ge mt one anyway.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

As long as you go into it with your eyes wide open, it's all good.

We've been accused of practicing breed snobbery, and that's highly inaccurate.

When you consider that the breed is very expensive but is flooding shelters across the country, there's a problem. Backyard breeders just looking to make a buck, and uninformed new owners who fall in love with the looks, intelligence, and athleticism of the breed without knowing the proper work needed, contribute to this situation.

In the end it's only the dogs that lose.

Yesterday, a new member joined up on the forum. Their BIO said that they joined to try to rehome a DS that their son had acquired but quickly determined that the dog was just too much work. At least they didn't dump it at a shelter or worse. But, that's not a great situation for the dog.

There's also the aspect that these dogs can be dangerous. There's a lot of cautionary bite stories, companion animal aggression, and dead pets. These shouldn't be ignored.

Anyway, I hope that you hang with us here through your journey with pictures and stories of your new dog. Also, please check out the post about researching a breeder here. There's some good advice available.
Michael
Nscul
Just Whelped

Post by Nscul »

I will surely do more research to be more cautious. I’d like to rescue a pup if possible. But I’ll see how it goes. I already have a trainer that does bite training, etc. a trainer that I have used in the past. I’m not looking to acquire the pup until later in the year, so it gives me plenty of time to get things set up and pick some brains on this forum. I will be around. And at the very worst, if I decide this breed is not for me, I will go GSD since from what I read from you all, they’re more reasonable for most people. If someone could give me a breakdown of the differences, that’d be great
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Back when I was trying to figure out the main differences between a GSD and DS, temperament wise, the main thing everyone seemed to have a general consensus on was that most GSDs at least have an “off” switch, so you can control when the excitement happens. With a DS, if you shift your legs on the couch just in the slightest, they are right back up, alert, and ready to go to work or to play. Mine literally won’t sleep unless he is in the back of the car or I put him in his crate with all the lights off, no matter how long he has been up or how hard he has been exercised. They are complete energizer bunnies. Thankfully, shaping calm behavior in the house is working, but it’s a slow process.

The GSD can make a good pet and obedience competition dog whereas most DS will fall short of what 99.9% of people want in a house pet. I have heard a lot of GSD folks also say that the DS and Malinois don’t have any sense about them. What I mean about that is their prey/toy/food drive can be so over the top they would literally jump off a cliff if they thought that would get them to a bird/ball (or piece of food) thrown off it.

The main advantage of having a DS over a GSD is that the DS tend to be smaller in size which can give you a leg up on agility.

I hope this helps! For what it’s worth, I was looking for a GSD and ended up with a DS on accident, thinking I rescued a mix. Someone randomly told me that he was a DS so I start looking into it and then the vet dropped a major hint about my pup and I am fairly certain I found where he came from. I love him to death and am fully committed to him, but 100% believe it would have been easier with a GSD, especially when it comes to the mouthiness. I spend a ton of money on training with someone who does private lessons and works with mostly DS and Malinois, plus pool rentals for swimming to help make sure Henry is happy and stimulated. Is it hard? Yes. My life was turned upside down. Is it worth it? Totally. He has come such a long way in confidence and now has nerves of steel, which makes me so proud of him!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oddbird wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:50 am Back when I was trying to figure out the main differences between a GSD and DS, temperament wise, the main thing everyone seemed to have a general consensus on was that most GSDs at least have an “off” switch, so you can control when the excitement happens. With a DS, if you shift your legs on the couch just in the slightest, they are right back up, alert, and ready to go to work or to play. Mine literally won’t sleep unless he is in the back of the car or I put him in his crate with all the lights off, no matter how long he has been up or how hard he has been exercised. They are complete energizer bunnies. Thankfully, shaping calm behavior in the house is working, but it’s a slow process.

The GSD can make a good pet and obedience competition dog whereas most DS will fall short of what 99.9% of people want in a house pet. I have heard a lot of GSD folks also say that the DS and Malinois don’t have any sense about them. What I mean about that is their prey/toy/food drive can be so over the top they would literally jump off a cliff if they thought that would get them to a bird/ball (or piece of food) thrown off it.
the GSD has also been bread out to death so they are really are a remnant of what they used to be.
The DS is still " fresh" so they are still just for work/plolice/ protection and someone who whats to do tracking/bite work.
oddbird wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:50 am The main advantage of having a DS over a GSD is that the DS tend to be smaller in size which can give you a leg up on agility.
HAHAHA, OMG I did agility with Thalie. They are so fast you better know what you are doing ! It was a ton of fun though
oddbird wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:50 am I hope this helps! For what it’s worth, I was looking for a GSD and ended up with a DS on accident, thinking I rescued a mix. Someone randomly told me that he was a DS so I start looking into it and then the vet dropped a major hint about my pup and I am fairly certain I found where he came from. I love him to death and am fully committed to him, but 100% believe it would have been easier with a GSD, especially when it comes to the mouthiness. I spend a ton of money on training with someone who does private lessons and works with mostly DS and Malinois, plus pool rentals for swimming to help make sure Henry is happy and stimulated. Is it hard? Yes. My life was turned upside down. Is it worth it? Totally. He has come such a long way in confidence and now has nerves of steel, which makes me so proud of him!
Most of the people on FB who say that the DS they have is so "pet like" either are not DS but are brindle, or are so diluted with a lets prey drive dog they they do not have the traits we are talking about here, so that gives the impression that the DS is a great house pet and great for people who hike.

My Sadie was a rescue from NADSR, and she is like a dog on crack her drive is so high, she has torn apart so many dog beds, ( and before you say its training, HAHHA wait till you have one) These dogs NEED jobs and if hiking is going to satisfy them....................think again. it wont.

Saidie is my second, my Thalie just passed at 16 a month ago, she was an import from France, I had years of hard Ring Sport training, with her and the Mal I had at the time.

There would be no way in Hell I would get one of these dogs if I did not have the training I did.

I now have a Basset hound and Sadie who is 9. The basset hound gives me the calm relax break from my crackhead Sadie
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

There are quite good pups coming in finland.

http://www.kiilankullan.fi/pentuja.html
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

While what the others are saying is not untrue, iiiii just feel like if you’re wanting to get into obedience competitions, like seriously get into it then yea a DS would be a good choice. There are other options but yea DS and Malinois have an overwhelming desire to learn. Their drive is truly something else. I’m one that believes pets can be managed as well but you should have prior experience with these dogs or other working breeds. Definitely spend some time around them before you decide. As the others said they don’t have much of an “off switch.” Also you should know that there is no guarantee that it will get along with your Pitbull as it gets older either. They’re very dominate dogs.

As for the rescue.... while I appreciate everyone that rescues and I really do... I just can’t in good conscience recommend a rescue for someone who is seriously looking to get into any kind of competitive sport with their dog. While it’s not impossible and sometimes you can find a good one that came from a good home that just needs a new home, a lot of the time that’s not the case. You may get a failed protection dog that was improperly trained in bite work and is now just an aggressive shit show... or just a super nervy dog. You don’t want that. Not for competition. Getting a rescue DS or Malinois with intention to do OB comps or ring sport or PSA anything... without knowing that dogs past... that to me is a recipe for disaster. I’m sorry guys just saying what we all know. You really want to pay a full price and get a good pup from a good bloodline and bring it up right for that kinda thing.

As for everyday around the house... here’s a little look at how things go at our home... this is all day everyday mind you. She does take naps... quick ones... sometimes. But most of the time she’s like this but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Sorry about the laundry machine buzzer in advance.

Let us know what you decide!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas