Potential Dutchie Owner with Questions

For our new members to introduce themselves
Anthony_b1989
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: No pup yet. On a waiting list

Potential Dutchie Owner with Questions

Post by Anthony_b1989 »

Hello!

I recently took my first step towards Dutch Shepherd ownership. I am on a waiting list for a pup from an outfit called Elite K9 Von Riesig Kennels based out of Maricopa, AZ. Has anyone heard or purchased a pup from this kennel? They breed working dogs and also do their own training. Most reviews I’ve had have been pretty 50/50 and Emily, the owner, has been very good at answering my questions and emails.

I am just curious because I am actually moving forward in my quest for a puppy.

Thank you all and look forward to hearing from you!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Potential Dutchie Owner with Questions

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out the post on researching a breeder. It should help set you right with this breeder from the beginning.

We like to know when new people come on the forum why they are considering a Dutch Shepherd. Do you have any specific goal, competition, training, or activity in mind for your new pup?

Have you discussed this with the breeder? Did they ask?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Do you have any other dogs?... a problem that’s currently being presented in my life as my dutchie pup reaches a year old.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

borellar15 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:06 am Do you have any other dogs?... a problem that’s currently being presented in my life as my dutchie pup reaches a year old.
what problem are you having?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:32 pm
what problem are you having?
[/quote]

Oh Zoeys just pushing a year old now and she’s starting to learn that she’s a little tougher than she thought. She used to back off when tripper our lab mix 8 yrs old would growl a little or Yelp or whine at her when he’s had enough of her shit or when he’s got a bone in his mouth but now if he tries to let her know he’s had enough she takes offense to it and snaps back at him. Kim called me the other day when I was at work and said they got in a full on fight the other day and she had to yank her off of him. This is the same dog she’s been living with since she was 9 weeks old and up until now she would back off and maybe bark at him if he had something she wanted but now she’s starting to realize she can bully him. I observed it myself when I was home yesterday with them tripper wasn’t even paying attention to her and she was laying down and I watched her shift focus to him and then stare at him for a few second and then she made a move at him. Luckily I was watching the whole time and I basically snatched her up before he even noticed she was coming at him.

I’m hoping that maybe it’s just the move into the house we just made last week. We moved from an apartment into a house and maybe she’s a little shook up. Also she’s pushing a year and still hasn’t had her first cycle yet so maybe she’s getting some hormones and about to go into heat? Idk. I’m more attentative to dogs signs of behaviors from working at the training and day care facility when I was in college and I am able to shift focus or interrupt her behaviors before they escalate but kim is a little more trusting that they will get along so she doesn’t watch them as closely and that makes me a little nervous as I’m at work out of town a lot.

Any ideas short of keeping her crated or separated would be appreciated. She’s had some training and I’ve been working with her several times a day while I’m home and she really is coming along great but I’m waiting for her to have her first cycle and get spayed before I can send her back for a more intense 4-6 week program for advanced obedience and get her on an e collar the right way.

The problem is tripper makes a bark/yelping sound when he loses tug or she gets on his nerves and that’s gone from her backing up with her ears back to her taking offense to it and reactively going after him.
Image Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you need a trainer asap, the move could have triggered something, but that does not matter, she is growing up and they are not a breed to mess with.

Find a good trainer
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:42 pm you need a trainer asap, the move could have triggered something, but that does not matter, she is growing up and they are not a breed to mess with.

Find a good trainer
Yea I’ve got her set up for an eval next week with a different trainer who said they’d take her in whether she’s had her first cycle or not. So. Should be sending her off for Advanced obedience next month.
Image Image