New Member!

For our new members to introduce themselves
AstraeaDS
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Very active hiker/backpacker/camper getting his first dog... a DS. Want to ensure pup can live up to her full potential. ANY/ALL help is appreciated. Forgive me if I ask questions that have previously been answered.

New Member!

Post by AstraeaDS »

Hey all!!!

New to the dog owner scene. Yup, you heard me right... i'll be a first-time owner to a pupper DS. At the moment, she is 4 weeks old and I'm nurturing our connection. Haven't figured a name yet but am thinking Cleo. Thoughts? :P

In addition, since joining the group I have read countless threads and have become much more familiar with the breed. Although I may not have the experience, I am 1000% committed to her and humble. I will do anything/everything to ensure she is content with me and life. Just wanted to break the ice. Not sure how my attachment will show, but the owners confirm she is pure DS.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (273.08 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: New Member!

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

My first question is whether you have taken possession of a 4-week old puppy, or are still waiting for the 8-week weaning period? It's vital that the puppy remain with mother and litter mates during this time.

Next, you should start trolling nearby IPO or Shutzhund clubs and asking about trainers. Even if you have no intention of protection training, you need to have a trainer who knows the breed.

I am glad you are doing research, but you should have have seen how a lot of the members of this community will have concerns about a 1st time dog owner who now has a very difficult and atypical breed.

With all that said, it is extremely important for you to get help from a trainer that knows the breed as soon as possible.
https://www.snowdog.guru/true-cost-early-removal-puppy-mother-litter-mates/ wrote:Common Dog Behaviours And Problems Attributed To Early Removal
Here is a short list of common problems (physical, emotional, and social) exhibited by puppies and then later by mature dogs, who have been removed from their family units before the age of 8 weeks.
* Housebreaking these puppies is challenging
* These puppies will often exhibit a myriad of psychological issues
* These dogs often default to fear biting
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
AstraeaDS
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Very active hiker/backpacker/camper getting his first dog... a DS. Want to ensure pup can live up to her full potential. ANY/ALL help is appreciated. Forgive me if I ask questions that have previously been answered.

Post by AstraeaDS »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am Welcome to the forum.

My first question is whether you have taken possession of a 4-week old puppy, or are still waiting for the 8-week weaning period? It's vital that the puppy remain with mother and litter mates during this time.

Next, you should start trolling nearby IPO or Shutzhund clubs and asking about trainers. Even if you have no intention of protection training, you need to have a trainer who knows the breed.

I am glad you are doing research, but you should have have seen how a lot of the members of this community will have concerns about a 1st time dog owner who now has a very difficult and atypical breed.

With all that said, it is extremely important for you to get help from a trainer that knows the breed as soon as possible.
https://www.snowdog.guru/true-cost-early-removal-puppy-mother-litter-mates/ wrote:Common Dog Behaviours And Problems Attributed To Early Removal
Here is a short list of common problems (physical, emotional, and social) exhibited by puppies and then later by mature dogs, who have been removed from their family units before the age of 8 weeks.
* Housebreaking these puppies is challenging
* These puppies will often exhibit a myriad of psychological issues
* These dogs often default to fear biting
First, thank you for the reply and for the information provided.

No I have not. I plan on waiting for at the 8-9 weeks. I understand I'm a first time owner but in no way am I going into this unprepared. I've read countless threads and done as much research as I can. I am full aware of the lack of experience i have and am proactively changing it.

I have been researching trainers, as well, and have asked for quotes and their knowledge of this breed.

Thank you for your honesty. I definitely see it from the threads I've read. I was hesitant to reach out but want the best for my pup and will do anything to make it happen. So far she has a good temperament and isn't triggered by her siblings, but i know it can change with age. I plan on gaining a pure and strong connection so training will be easier. Plus I know now that the only thing that will help is patience and positive reinforcement.
AstraeaDS
Just Whelped

Post by AstraeaDS »

Just to reiterate. I was hesitant to post here for fear that this would happen. I wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt with my research and will to give this pup the best life I can give. Makes me nervous to post at all. I understand all of your positions because you have those dogs and know what it takes... and you hear a first time dog owner wanting this breed. Please just give full support and assume I've done extensive research, which is also why I'm here. Thanks for reading.
Ifixjets
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am active duty military ready to retire aftre 29 years will be 30 when said and done. I have a 6 month old DS and Black german Sheprad (Nitro) Im just here to learn a little more about the breed. Nitro is a pleasure to have and a very smart young dog, I however am not that great of an owner in the part of training. We do have fun but Id like to get better at training him. He is very out going, doeasnt bark is good with other dogs an people.

Post by Ifixjets »

Astea, I am sure you will be fine. I have never owned a DS before and got (Nitro) mine on July 6th, and I was just comong off of shoulder surgery. Nitro was born on St Patricks day so he was a little under 3 MO when I got him, and yes a bit of a challange but nothing like some of the stuff Ive read. He is 6 Mo now I still have to watch him in the house he will only go do his buisness outside if I go with him. He hasnt had any formal training but he is good with people and other anumals. He never barks unless barking needs to be done. My only issue with Nitro is he is nippy he like to nip but working on that. Spend time with your pup a lot and enjoy, Nitro is always on my side and goes everywhere with me. Have fun with your new dog.
AstraeaDS
Just Whelped

Post by AstraeaDS »

Ifixjets wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:04 pm Astea, I am sure you will be fine. I have never owned a DS before and got (Nitro) mine on July 6th, and I was just comong off of shoulder surgery. Nitro was born on St Patricks day so he was a little under 3 MO when I got him, and yes a bit of a challange but nothing like some of the stuff Ive read. He is 6 Mo now I still have to watch him in the house he will only go do his buisness outside if I go with him. He hasnt had any formal training but he is good with people and other anumals. He never barks unless barking needs to be done. My only issue with Nitro is he is nippy he like to nip but working on that. Spend time with your pup a lot and enjoy, Nitro is always on my side and goes everywhere with me. Have fun with your new dog.
Thank you for the positivity. Nitro sounds like a good boy, for sure! The breeders are friends so they've helped me better understand and prepare. I've only seen her the once so far but she came right to me and wouldn't leave, even when it was milk time with her siblings. She'd wait and go after they were done. The connection we already share is amazing.

I plan on spending every waking moment with her. I also work (literally) 4 minutes away so I can come home and let her out as often as I can. Thanks again for the reply and kind words.
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

How did the breeder assure you she's a DS?

I'm just asking as it's a rare breed and it's unusual for a purebred DS in the USA to be anything but a working dog which would make it unusual for you to have already selected a puppy at 4 weeks. You CAN NOT tell essentially anything for certain about a puppy before 7 weeks.

Only reason I ask is unlike show dogs, getting your "pick" of the litter can turn out horrible wrong with these dogs as ya'll may be a terrible fit for one another.

The dog absolutely will not care at all that ya'll bonded when she was an infant. If you are able to do so, I'd test the puppies at 7 weeks and make sure this is the puppy you really want.

Everyone here will caution you against getting these dogs as they're just flat out different and difficult in so many ways. I sum it up like this, my GSD loves to work and is very forgiving so I command her to do things and she's happy. My Malinois NEEDS to work in a way that would be described medically as compulsive and does NOT take corrections well so I'm really just there to direct the chaos to keep him sane and my home intact.

All that being said though, it's a bad idea but certainly not doomed to failure either this isn't rocket science do your homework, put in the time & effort, and get yourself trained by going to a protection sport trainer Schutzhund/IGP/IPO (they're all 3 the same thing Schutzhund is technically the name for the sport in Germany and IGP is international, IPO is the old name for international), French/Belgian Ring, a police K9 trainer etc as they will have experience with high drive shepherds which is important.

Give her structure, boundaries, and a job and she'll be happy. And of course lots of love, as they're prone to being snuggle bugs after they've worked off their energy for the day.

Best of luck
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
AstraeaDS
Just Whelped

Post by AstraeaDS »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 pm How did the breeder assure you she's a DS?

I'm just asking as it's a rare breed and it's unusual for a purebred DS in the USA to be anything but a working dog which would make it unusual for you to have already selected a puppy at 4 weeks. You CAN NOT tell essentially anything for certain about a puppy before 7 weeks.

Only reason I ask is unlike show dogs, getting your "pick" of the litter can turn out horrible wrong with these dogs as ya'll may be a terrible fit for one another.

The dog absolutely will not care at all that ya'll bonded when she was an infant. If you are able to do so, I'd test the puppies at 7 weeks and make sure this is the puppy you really want.

Everyone here will caution you against getting these dogs as they're just flat out different and difficult in so many ways. I sum it up like this, my GSD loves to work and is very forgiving so I command her to do things and she's happy. My Malinois NEEDS to work in a way that would be described medically as compulsive and does NOT take corrections well so I'm really just there to direct the chaos to keep him sane and my home intact.

All that being said though, it's a bad idea but certainly not doomed to failure either this isn't rocket science do your homework, put in the time & effort, and get yourself trained by going to a protection sport trainer Schutzhund/IGP/IPO (they're all 3 the same thing Schutzhund is technically the name for the sport in Germany and IGP is international, IPO is the old name for international), French/Belgian Ring, a police K9 trainer etc as they will have experience with high drive shepherds which is important.

Give her structure, boundaries, and a job and she'll be happy. And of course lots of love, as they're prone to being snuggle bugs after they've worked off their energy for the day.

Best of luck
Fair point. I have only asked, tbh. I've only visited them once for they're over an hour away. Their litter had 3 brindles and 3 fawn- I was under the impression that brindles were 100% pure DS. Is that wrong? I'm 100% going to do all that research as well, and it will heavily influence my decision.

If the connection isn't there after the 7 weeks, and I don't share a bond with any other of the pups then I just won't get one. They def made it seem like she liked me since she'd yip whenever anyone picked her up except me but I can see that being subjective.

I honestly couldn't care less that they're different and difficult. If anyone on here can do it, so can I. I have passion and drive and nothing will hinder that. With what knowledge/experience I don't have... I'll learn myself or from someone more experienced.

I've reached out to my local Schutzhund club and they are very helpful and I do plan on looking into this further. Have also reached out to many local trainers. I don't plan on doing much more training than obedience but that doesn't mean I won't change my mind early on so it's easier on her/me. I am very active and I know she will only make me more active.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I totaly understand your hesitation about posting and with all due respect to you , this is NOT a first time dog owner breed. I am Sure you have the best heart and want nothing but the best for any animal that comes in your home. What you must understand a well is that we have had these dogs for a long time. We know the destruction to home and human these dogs can do even with the best intended human. IVe see chunks out of lets, dog fights and more. Like Tennessee said, these dogs dont care that you are trying, that you want to bond, that you have their best interest at heart, they will rip your house apart and / or other pets, if they do not have the proper training and direction. Time and patience will not help if the dog wants to get something.

Many of the people who are first time DS owners do not have a ds or its a mix or just a brindle that looks like one. These are hard working dogs meant to go all day.

I have had two, one just passed and I did very intense training with her, and she was amazing, but even as she was a lower drive dog, she still was a lot to handle. My Sadie who is a rescue and now 9, is a big handful and has a very very high drive. She is not for the faint of heart.

I know you did research and thought this through, but think some more. Please
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Nosework! Whatever dog you end up with, look into nosework and scent training. Discrimination, source, trailing, tracking... These are all great ways to help you bond with your dog and give them the brain work they desperately need and so often lack. I have a low energy DS. I work obedience every morning for at least fifteen minutes- preferably 25. I throw some nosework into the morning routine as as possible. The days that something goes wrong and I can't get that morning work in... Those are the days that I have to find the trash can. Those are the days that I have to buy new pillows before my girlfriend comes home.
These dogs are like A-hole teenagers in many ways. You will need to establish form boundaries, both physical and metaphorically.
You will need to build trust. The dog must trust that you will ALWAYS have it's own desires in mind. The dog must trust that you will not punishment it for trying but failing. It takes SSSSSOOOOOOOO much patience sometimes.
You DS will bite you.
Your DS will bite you again.
Your DS will bark at you
Then your DS will bite you some more.
These bites will hopefully stop after puppyhood, but you will still suffer the occasional accidental rake across your fingers when the dog is going for it's tug. It happens.
Please make sure you have a complete plan for how to react properly in that type of situation!
Gotta go now. Work...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor