New Maryland Member

For our new members to introduce themselves
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

New Maryland Member

Post by DSworkingdad »

Hello All,

I just purchased my first DS pup from Moss K9 out of Lake City, Florida. She will be arriving tomorrow via plane at my local airport. I can say that I have never been this excited to pick up anyone at the airport before, then this. I'm excited to start bonding with her over the weekend and getting into the puppy schedule rhythm. She will spend her puppy life bonding with us and being part of the family, once age appropriate I intend to get her certified as my Service Dog. I am currently a 90% combat disabled vet due to injuries sustained in Afghanistan, among those being PTSD and TBI. I also intend to keep her actively engaged in scent (narcotics) and handler protection work. As of now, I’m just here for “pawrenting” advice and information as a newer handler.

- John
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: New Maryland Member

Post by borellar15 »

Awesome! I follow moss k9 on Instagram they’ve got some amazing dogs. That’s awesome that you got one. Welcome to the forum! First thing I would say is forget about age appropriate. Start puppy imprinting as soon as possible. The sooner you can start training the easier your life will be and the higher quality K9 she will be. Beware of the puppy teeth but don’t correct her for biting you. Keep a toy handy to redirect her biting but don’t correct her for biting your hands, pant legs etc especially if you intend on doing bitework with her. She’s gonna gnaw on your hands and shit all the time. It’s normal. Also, don’t let her out of the crate just because she cries or you’re going to have trouble getting her to stay in there quietly at night. Just start your training ASAP and welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Welcome!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum. I fixed the images for you, because Facebook doesn't work as a photo provider.

You might want to take a look at the threads on how to post images, because I know we're going to want to see more photos in the future.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

borellar15 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:00 pm Awesome! I follow moss k9 on Instagram they’ve got some amazing dogs. That’s awesome that you got one. Welcome to the forum! First thing I would say is forget about age appropriate. Start puppy imprinting as soon as possible. The sooner you can start training the easier your life will be and the higher quality K9 she will be. Beware of the puppy teeth but don’t correct her for biting you. Keep a toy handy to redirect her biting but don’t correct her for biting your hands, pant legs etc especially if you intend on doing bitework with her. She’s gonna gnaw on your hands and shit all the time. It’s normal. Also, don’t let her out of the crate just because she cries or you’re going to have trouble getting her to stay in there quietly at night. Just start your training ASAP and welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks for the advice! I have a complete training schedule for everyday and every month. I know dogs progress at different intervals, and my schedule allows for some flex. I will make sure to leave her in the crate, my only question would be how do I tell the whimpers from the I gotta go pee cries?
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped

Post by DSworkingdad »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am Welcome to the forum. I fixed the images for you, because Facebook doesn't work as a photo provider.

You might want to take a look at the threads on how to post images, because I know we're going to want to see more photos in the future.
I thank you for fixing the images! I tried to read through and do it, I will give it another shot and read more carefully.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Umm we were very lucky with that in that Zoey always went every time we took her outside and seriously NEVER went in her crate. But main thing is just definitely taking them out and making sure they do both before trying to go to bedp
Image Image
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped

Post by DSworkingdad »

Questions:

1.) Does anyone know what size harness would fit My 8 week old DS pup? (I don’t want to do a collar)

2.) Breeder said they had the pup on wet/kibble blend of Taste of the Wild. Does anyone recommend switching and why? Also, how much should I be feeding and how often? Also, does anyone add supplements like fish oil or etc for coat or puppy nutrition?

3.) How long and often do you walk an 8 week old DS working dog? Is it mostly during potty time or does anyone do a morning and or evening walk?

4.) I can’t remember the “formula” for how long a Pup can be left in the kennel. The only reason I ask is that we have an engagement that won’t allow us to take her with us tomorrow for a few hours and I’m wondering about having my family puppy sit her. I will probably do this anyway, but still would like to know how long.
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

I don’t think there is any rule for how long they should be in the kennel that’s up to you. Few hours is fine. We had Zoey on Nulo freestyle puppy food and her coat is nice and shiny and soft. It’s a little expensive though. As for the walking and stuff I mean that’s up to you how much you feel like. If they stop walking listen to them. Their bones are not fully developed yet. Then stopping is them telling you something doesn’t feel good. We used to walk Zoey around the neighborhood just before bed time to get her a little worn out so she would sleep through the night without too much crying. And as for the harness I don’t know cause I don’t like harnesses. Only for restraining them for protection work. But harnesses just teach them to pull you down the street. Same with retractable leashes. IMO
Image Image
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Welcome. Thank you for your service. I don’t mean that lightly.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Rogue Knight
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Male w/ a 6 1/2 mo/ female Dutch Shepherd

Post by Rogue Knight »

John, as a U.S. Navy vet (served shortly after the first gulf war/ non combat times) I want to thank you for your sacrifice brother. I greatly appreciate what you gave for this great country we live in.

I'm also a DS newbie w/ a 6 1/2 mo/old female that's a handful! I've been through the puppy course & am about to graduate this coming tuesday from the basic obedience course. One of the main trainers there is a DS pro w/ many champions under his belt so I've been lucky. He also holds a Schutzhund club that I've just started attending. I'm a total novice, but if I can help in any way I will do my best.

In response to:
#1 Likely a size small tightened all the way up. It's what my Indy needed at that age. I went w/ the 'rabbitgoo' brand & have been happy w/ it. I will say, you may 'want' to only use a harness, but you will quickly find either through trial & error or from a trainer that what you 'want' to do & what a DS dog needs are two very different things. In the end you will end up needing a harness, a flat collar, a prong collar & maybe an E-collar to effectively train your dog. You seem to need ALL the tricks to work these dogs best!

#2 The training facility I attend, Landheim K9 raves about 'Taste of the Wild' so I'd say you are good there.

#3 You're going to need to be doing more than just walking her. DS need activity to be fullfilled otherwise she may begin acting out. These dogs can run for days & NEVER get tired. Simple fetch will do for now until you begin her basic training. Get 2 identical non-toxic balls (NOT tennis balls) & start playing a bit. You'll quickly find just how 'ball driven' she is. Toss one & as she's bringing it back entice her w/ the other by moving it around a bit. Keep it going how ever long you feel like.

#4 I keep my Indy in a dog run during my working hours, but she got a lot of crate time after work when I first had her. They are a handful & don't feel bad keeping her in the crate allot at first. I was told that it's perfectly normal for this breed. What I did & still do at times is put her in the crate when she's a bit too wound up. Just make sure to let her out to go to the bathroom & get some water at least every hour. I'm able to keep her at my side much more now & she will lay on her dog bed & relax as well. She sleeps in the crate every night (8 hours) though w/ no problems.

I hope I've helped you a bit!
P.S. Get yourself LOTS of tough chew toys. You're going to need them! My Indys nick name is 'The destroyer of toys'...

(Disclaimer: I am a novice. I fully understand this. The answers I have given are all based on specific DS info my trainer has relayed to me & my personal experiences w/ this breed thus far.)
"What is the point of anything, of life itself, without honor & loyalty & friendship & love?"~R.A. Salvatore

"Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"
"Publius Cornelius Tacitus"