New Member. Just brought home first DS puppy.

For our new members to introduce themselves
Clyde24
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just brought home our first DS. My last two dogs were rescued pitbulls. Have alot of experience with dogs in general, but not this breed.

New Member. Just brought home first DS puppy.

Post by Clyde24 »

Hi everyone,

Luna ( 10 week old female) joined our family 2 weeks ago. So far so good, aside from teething and such. Let me get right to the point though. I researched the DS. Maybe not as much as I should have. I wish I had read more on this forum first. I have 2 children. Reading through this forum has made me concerned about that fact. The breeder assured me that the particular dog we took home would be best with a family and flat out told me the others in the litter need to be working dogs. He has been training for 40 years. He and I will be training Luna. We owned pitbulls prior to Luna. We dont leave the kids alone with any dog. Give me your honest opinions please can this breed coexist with kids.

Thanks
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: New Member. Just brought home first DS puppy.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

She is sooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful !!! To be honest, there is no way we can tell you much. We dont knwo the dog and your family, you will get info from each of our own experiences and the DS breed varies so much from dog to dog, if it is a mix, you will hear a totally different story.

If the breeder is a good breeder and told you that this pup will be good, then it would probably be ok. My Thalie, was from a champion breeder and stock. She was the last one who lived with the trainer in France, she came to me because she was a low prey drive dog. Prey drive is different then work drive. I trained Ring sport with Thalie, she didnt light the ground on fire when she ran, nor did she break any Decoys ribs but we won a lot and did well. But she was the best at home. I had one infant and on on the way when I got her.

I could leave her alone with the kids, My daughter , when little would feed her out of the bowl, not one inclking of upset from Thalie. SHe got her nails painted, had tea parties, got dressed up as a princes quite often, then would go onto the training field in a competition. Look through the board here, I have been here for 8 years.

Now, onto Sadie............ 180 different dog. would not leave her alone when the kids were little ( now they are 13 adn 14). Would not feed her out of the kids hands. Sadie has a HUUUUUUGE prey and energy drive. Does not like hugs or snuggles. Barks at who knows what all of the time. She is a super great protection dog, but not the best family dog. Well, she is 9 now and the kids are older so it is so much better than when she was a pup, she tore apart countless dog beds and a down comforter.

SO, will yours be great with the family??? LOL. Work with your trainer and Im sure she will be.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea the pup looks too young to tell but the breeder must have seen something in it that it lacked compared to the others. It may not have been so quick to rush to the food or maybe doesn’t care to play with the others or be interested in things that move. That would make an assumption that the dogs drive is low (or lower than the others at least) and assumed it would make a good family dog as it’s not batshit crazy like the rest of them. You’ll have to make that judgement call when you see it. They will bite pant legs and growl and stuff even at a young age so don’t be alarmed by that too much but if it’s causing problems like it’s biting your toddlers clothes and pulling them to the ground then yea maybe not the best fit for young children.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

How old are your kids? I have some experience in the situation. I'm at work now, but I can post more this afternoon
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Clyde24
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just brought home our first DS. My last two dogs were rescued pitbulls. Have alot of experience with dogs in general, but not this breed.

Post by Clyde24 »

Thank you all for taking the time and answering. I really appreciate the info. I feel a bit more comfortable now. My kids are 3 and 9.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I've only got a minute here. My son was about 5 when I brought Endeavor home at 15 months old. My kid took some time to learn the proper respect necessary for living with a working dog. My family took some time to learn that my rules actually had a purpose. My youngest got himself nipped, in the face, twice before leaning the seriousness of things. I put them to work together, carefully designing exercises that he could run her through. They quickly built a very strong relationship. However, she is still a very mouthy dog when stimulated, and she will require immediate correction from my kid (now 7). They require consistent training. They can quickly drop their conditioning if allowed to do whatever they like.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor