First timer

For our new members to introduce themselves
Alpineww13
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Always had dobermans, interested in a ds/malinois mix puppy.

First timer

Post by Alpineww13 »

Hi, first time on the forum.
Have owned 4 dobie's in the past, just had to return my last dobie to the breeder for biting my wife.
Have a trainer helping us choose a ds/bm puppy. Looking for insights.
Don't want a super high drive dog like my last guy looking for a stable companion, who will be with me at work, and around occasional customers and delivery guys.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: First timer

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi and welcome!

What is behind the decision to get a DS? There are tons of other breeds that are more stable than a DS that will be a companion and around other people.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Alpineww13 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 pm Don't want a super high drive dog like my last guy looking for a stable companion, who will be with me at work, and around occasional customers and delivery guys.
Yea... not saying that low(er) drive DS and BM don’t exist cause they do( in rare occurrences or in mixes usually) but you’re most likely not looking for a DS or BM if you don’t want a super high drive dog. I would have to agree with Lisa on this one...
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Alpineww13
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Always had dobermans, interested in a ds/malinois mix puppy.

Post by Alpineww13 »

My trainer (brother in law) trains protection dogs and police dogs, and has owned Bm's for many years.The parents of the litter are from two of his dogs, he said this is a repeat litter and almost all the dogs in the last litter went to pet homes with little to no training and are all doing well. He knows what I am asking for, and is assessing the litter for the pup that fits our family best. We have one boy 17yrs. old. We run and hike and and will put the time in to physically and mentally challenge him. I was not clear that the litter is a ds/bm mix.
The decision behind the pup is basically he does not want what happened to his sister to happen again, he knows the lineage and feels confident about them. My last dobie I picked up from a breeder at 7 months, and was working with him before I brought my brother into the picture. He saw in three visits what the dog was going to do , and he did.