28 yo New Member - OHIO USA - LF Breeder/DS Advice

For our new members to introduce themselves
Cinci Wolf
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 28 yo Engineer. I just purchased my first house last May and am looking to get my first dog. Had dogs growing up all my life (GS, Med Schnauzer, 2 Labs) and fell in love with the DS breed after being introduced by my cousin and his working K9 enter. They do airport security/cargo inspection.

28 yo New Member - OHIO USA - LF Breeder/DS Advice

Post by Cinci Wolf »

Hey guys I'll just give you the run down I gave a few breeders that I have contacted.

What I am looking for:
I have been doing quite a bit of research on a dog that would fit my lifestyle and found the Dutch Shep. I like the minimal and rare cases of health issues vs other breeds such as the GS. I'd prefer a Dutch with as many DS parents lineage as possible, but I understand that they are cross bread with the Mal in many cases. I also would like a dog that has short hair (less mess) and a lighter coloring for a black brindle or a darker coloring on a mahogany brindle (See attached pics). I'm open to a slight range in the brindle as I know that it's more important to find my future buddy that will match with my lifestyle and personality more than picking a dog on appearance alone but I am in love with the dogs in these pics and would really enjoy just staring at my buddy with how beautiful they would be. I understand many ppl use these dogs as working dogs, but finding the right dog that can be a companion/future family dog should not be an issue from the research I've done and speaking with the 2 breeders that I have. (I'm an engineer, I like to do my homework before making a decision so I have not purchased a puppy yet.)

About Me:
I'm a 28 y.o., college grad, and active male. I have had dogs all my life growing up, from a German Shepherd, Medium Schnauzer, to 2 Labradors from birth to present. I purchased my own house last year and I am ready for my own personal dog and companion. My family has a lake property with plenty of land an hour south of my residence that is visited regularly all year and I have plenty of room for the dog to exercise on top of my daily exercise. My roommate/cousin also asked if he could run with my future puppy on his regular route (~20 mins and I know that he cannot be ran until at least 1 yr RIGHT?) I have property across from my house the size of a football field and my parents have a 1.5 acre fenced in yard just down the road and he/she could go there to play with their lab if I am out of town, although my dad will probably end up with them at the lake. (Do these dogs have any skin issues or water problems being in/around water all day? I can't find any)

Lifestyle:
I work a flexible schedule full time anywhere from 6-6 during the day. I can bring my dog to work to accommodate training and house breaking as needed but not permanently. I go to the gym for about 2 hours 3 times a week and my weekends are either at the lake or in and out of the house on the weekends, many trips of which the dog could accompany me on. I do like to travel a few times a year, but my parents live just down the road with a fenced in yard and a very loving 4 y.o. lab and they don't mind watching my future dog.

Breeders I've contacted:
https://www.aachendutchshepherds.com/ ($2,500) - Recevied about 20 emails over 30 mins in responses about this company. Did not feel very personal but I spoke with Keely after and she seems friendly enough. Not sure that this company will provide a personalized experience though.

https://www.vomdreifkeshepherds.com/ ($1,000) - Recevied a decent bit of info and had about a 45 min discussion with Gayle the breeder who has been at it 30+ years. Seems very willing to help me find what I'm looking for.

http://www.landofozk9.com/ ($1,000) - Recevied 1 email "Hey we have the puppy you're looking for. Etc"

https://www.vomwarsney.com/ ($2,500) - Replied to me stating no one breeds DS with DS. They mix them with Mals and can't provide a purebred DS. Can help me out if I can accept that.

Any opinion on the above breeders or someone I haven't considered would be greatly appreciated. If you could answer the random questions I included throughout that would be fantastic as well!
Attachments
DS_Pic2.jpg
DS_Pic2.jpg (86.53 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
DS_Pic1.jpg
DS_Pic1.jpg (302.88 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Last edited by Cinci Wolf on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfgang
Just a guy looking for his buddy.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: 28 yo New Member - OHIO USA - LF Breeder/DS Advice

Post by borellar15 »

Hey man I’m from Cincinnati too. Live in Austin, Texas now but I was born and raised there 25+ years. I also worked at a K9 training and daycare boarding facility for 3 years while I went to UC and I have some dog people contacts for you for training for sure. They may be able to help find a breeder as well. My friend Andy has had many Belgian Malinois and may be able to point you in the right direction and is an excellent trainer and decoy as well. You can look him up his name is Andy Krueger. https://www.kruegercanine.com

Also The Pet Athletic Club where I worked has a PSA club there that you may be able to get involved in as well. Having a DS, you may want to do protection work as it gives them something to do and keeps them physically and mentally stimulated. Feel free to send me a message if you have any direct questions as well!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Also I forgot to answer some of your questions:

Running: no they will run sooner than a year. You’ll know when....just don’t force them to exercise when Heyne super young. No jumping on or off things for first few months at least. Bad for their bone development. And if your out walking or running and they stop don’t make them keep going they’ve stopped for a reason. They will build endurance as they get older and they’ll eventually long outlast you.

Water stuff: they love water and swimming at least mine does. She goes swimming all the time so your dog will love that lake most likely.

Let me know if you got anything else.
Image Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ooh they looooooooooooooooooooove water !!!!!!! yes, once their joints close and its safe for them to run, they will run all day.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

My one investigates water but doesn’t show a great love for it which I’m actually relatively pleased about. I once had a dog that would not stay out of water and would not leave it what really was a pain at times. As for running when my one has had enough she just lays down and pretty much stops which is good I think .
She’s nearly 7 months now. I try to exercise her at all different speeds of movement fast slow etc. Jay
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

My main concern would be how any dog you get develops alongside those family and friends that may be responsible for it at some point. En will do anything for me, she'll do OB and recall for the kids. She will do a few commands for treats from family friends, but outside the house it's another matter. She will not recall for anyone but me and the kids.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 pm My main concern would be how any dog you get develops alongside those family and friends that may be responsible for it at some point. En will do anything for me, she'll do OB and recall for the kids. She will do a few commands for treats from family friends, but outside the house it's another matter. She will not recall for anyone but me and the kids.
If any other human will be taking care of the dog, then that human is also involved in daily training. I had that problem when we got our mal. He would only listen to my husband at the time. So both of us did the training with him. I did all of the training anyway, but did a bit more with the mal so he knew that I was also his boss.
ImageImage
Cinci Wolf
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 28 yo Engineer. I just purchased my first house last May and am looking to get my first dog. Had dogs growing up all my life (GS, Med Schnauzer, 2 Labs) and fell in love with the DS breed after being introduced by my cousin and his working K9 enter. They do airport security/cargo inspection.

Post by Cinci Wolf »

Appreciate the advice guys. Anyone have any breeder suggestions or concerns with the ones I listed?
Wolfgang
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Do some more checking other than kennels your finding on a google search.
Tim
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Also might suggest talking to Wes about a karma puppy?
Image Image
sysyphus
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Foxy

Post by sysyphus »

Tim91118 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:13 pm Do some more checking other than kennels your finding on a google search.
Yea, Craigslist...
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

One thing I just noticed in your post is regarding the short hair for less mess.

These dogs shed hair a lot. Regardless of the length.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Cinci Wolf
Just Whelped

Post by Cinci Wolf »

Well all dogs shed. Especially shepherds, but short hair less so from the research I've done. I understand I'll have to brush them at least once a week.

sysyphus wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 pm
Tim91118 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:13 pm Do some more checking other than kennels your finding on a google search.
Yea, Craigslist...
and as to "Craigslist". Is that a joke or sincerity? I will check it either way on the off chance.
Wolfgang
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Have you researched KNPV bred Dutch Shepherds ?
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Step away from Craigs list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as shedding, Mine really dont shed all that much. Except when they get older, They keep their heavy coats all year long and Thalie's hair came out in clumps. But youngr, mine were fine. Now my basset...............
ImageImage
Cinci Wolf
Just Whelped

Post by Cinci Wolf »

Tim91118 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:02 pm Have you researched KNPV bred Dutch Shepherds ?
Why do you ask? I know they are the Royal police dogs and they are a slightly harder working dog. Probably less suited for a companion/family dog than other DS not of KNPV. (Or so I've been informed and my research reading forums has shown)

And can anyone confirm/deny the following 2 items for me:
1. Per my original post I'd like a dog (assuming I can find the right personality for me/my lifestyle) that is towards the darker of the 2 pics I provided. It can be in between either pic though if I can't find that. Do the puppies get lighter with age? Should I be looking at a darker puppy with light brindle present and then it will lighten even more as he/she grows? Or should I be looking for the color I want from the start of puppy hood?

2. Do the males have a blockier head? I noticed a difference between some dogs (even in ppl's signatures on this forum) that have a difference between a more narrow/slender head + snout vs a bulkier head + snout like the dogs in my original post.
Wolfgang
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

I asked to make sure you know the difference. As an engineer you know how valuable data and information is.
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

If you get a DS in the US it will have KNPV lines. I believe the only way to get FCI is to import from Europe.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

The stocky heads are heavily mixed or not even DS. It has nothing to do with gender.
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Color is a crap shoot, go for temperament and take what ever color it comes in. This is not the breed to be choosy about color. Focus on the temperament.

When I was training Ring Sport, males and females had nice sleek heads. many of the block heads you see here or on FB are mixes or not even DS. The only difference really is size, females tend to be smaller.
ImageImage