New to forum

For our new members to introduce themselves
Calalilly03242
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Good Morning! I am excited to learn more about the DS before I decide if it is the right breed for me. I have been researching for about a year, since i ran across a female about a year ago and helped her adoptive owners with her basic and advanced obedience and exercise. I spent 6 years on a farm with GSDs and Belgian Malinois that were mainly trained as working dogs and I helped mostly with the puppys since I was begining my venture into dog training. My fiance passed a few years back and I gave up training for a bit. Now Im ready to have a dog of my own that I can personally have some fun with along with, and try a bit of everything for the experience. I figured this would be a great foot in the door to get to know the breed a bit better than just one experience with one rescue dog, and get in touch with the breeders in the circle.

New to forum

Post by Calalilly03242 »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for adding me to the group. I look forward to more self education on the DS breed before I jump in. I have trained mostly with GSDs and Belgian Malinois. So Im looking for something thats a little more fun than the GSD, and a little more forgiving than the Mali lol. I have only been training for 8 years and still feel new to it. I would like a dog that has the heart to try everything with me and learn with me. So I look forward to learning and reading everyones input.

Thank you,
Sara
Dedicated to helping animals with their people problems 😉
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: New to forum

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you know what you’re getting into so you’re one step ahead of the game. I would expect your DS experience to be very similar to your Malinois experience.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Calalilly03242
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Good Morning! I am excited to learn more about the DS before I decide if it is the right breed for me. I have been researching for about a year, since i ran across a female about a year ago and helped her adoptive owners with her basic and advanced obedience and exercise. I spent 6 years on a farm with GSDs and Belgian Malinois that were mainly trained as working dogs and I helped mostly with the puppys since I was begining my venture into dog training. My fiance passed a few years back and I gave up training for a bit. Now Im ready to have a dog of my own that I can personally have some fun with along with, and try a bit of everything for the experience. I figured this would be a great foot in the door to get to know the breed a bit better than just one experience with one rescue dog, and get in touch with the breeders in the circle.

Post by Calalilly03242 »

Thank you! I just helped a family with basic training their female DS rescue. She was listed as a german shepherd mix, so they really didnt know what they were getting themselves into, and honestly I was a little overwhelmed at first, because I had never met a DS before, so at first I thought she was a Mali mix. I eventually figured out what she was. So I had them run with her every day (being the barer of bad news for moderatly active people isnt fun, but they did it thank goodness) for a few miles every day before training until I figured out her needs, and what she liked to play for games. She was about 6 months old when they got her, and boy was she was like a thouroughbred that was left in a box stall stall over the winter.
Long story stort I fell in love with her. So Im wondering how the breed is in general. I need more face to face interactiin with it for sure.
Dedicated to helping animals with their people problems 😉