Another new guy here

For our new members to introduce themselves
Shadow
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have a 5.5 yo blue lacy and just got an 8mo Dutch Shepherd. The lacy is trained in tracking and we’re wanting to do the same with the Dutch as well as advanced obedience training

Another new guy here

Post by Shadow »

My wife and I are new to the forum and new to the breed. We’ve already been using the forum and decided to finally sign up and introduce ourselves. We have a 5.5yo female blue lacy (Jersey) and just picked up a fearless 8wk old female Dutch (Shadow) from Cher car kennels from the Titan and Scarlett litter. Our lacy is trained in tracking and we’d like to do the same with our new Dutch. We’re from south east Texas and currently looking for a more advanced trainer. We know well most likely have to make trips to the Houston area to find the kind of trainer we’ll need which isn’t a big deal. if anyone has any suggestions we’d love to hear from you. Thanks for all of the help the forum has already provided and we look forward to the training to come
Wesley - Beaumont
Ashley (wife) Jersey (Blue Lacy) Shadow (Dutch Shepherd)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Another new guy here

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

How far south east are you? I’m in Austin and can recommend some people here if you’re not too far. Or even if you are they do board and train programs.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Shadow
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have a 5.5 yo blue lacy and just got an 8mo Dutch Shepherd. The lacy is trained in tracking and we’re wanting to do the same with the Dutch as well as advanced obedience training

Post by Shadow »

We’re in Beaumont. The closest major city we’ve found any training in is Houston and even then I’ll have to research as to which one would be best for us. I would prefer in person training vs board and train just so that I can be trained as well as the dog. Our pups just under 10 weeks right now so we have a little time to look and decide a route forward. We’re just focusing on the basics right now. Sit,down,come,stay etc 3-4 times a day and will be starting some small basic tracks in the following days since our weather is finally clearing up. Well do a board and train if necessary but it would be our least preferred method of training. I know our dog will only be as good as her handler and I by no means want to be what holds her back if that makes sense
Wesley - Beaumont
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea I can understand that approach. Although a good board and train program will give you a good solid go home lesson with follow up private lessons that will teach you what you need to know to handle your dog. But sounds like you’re dedicated enough to take your homework from single lessons and continue the training at home. I think that’s where most people fail with doing the private lessons is the trainer teaches them what to do, then they do it a few times at home(not nearly as much as it takes for the dog to learn) and then expect results and it just doesn’t work. But if you put the work in several times a day for short periods of time you will see the results. Anyways... if you can make it to hutto there are two places I can recommend. Jake and Nina at Precision K9 work and Dave Kroyer and Jake Bacon at Canine Headquarters are definitely good options. Hope that helps!

Precisionk9work.com
Davekroyer.com
Canineheadquarters.com
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Howdy!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
cameliza
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog parents to 6yo Belle (Berner-mutt rescue) and 12wk old Atticus (DS). Rolling with the punches.

Post by cameliza »

I was just looking at the new member announcements, planning to introduce myself (Hi, I'm Betsy, my husband Nick and I recently adopted a new DS puppy, he's now 12 weeks old and great so far) and I saw your post. Small world, we have your puppy's brother! Atticus, also from Cher Car's Titan and Scarlett litter. We live in Michigan and I just thought it was neat to see that our little guy has a sister in Texas :)
Shadow
Just Whelped

Post by Shadow »

Ha small world. My wife handles all the social media stuff and has been in contact with two of her other brothers owners who are also up north from what I’m understanding. It’ll be nice being able to keep touch with her litter mates. From what we understand we got one of the only 2 females and they were both small but she’s growing fast now. We got her at 10.4 lbs and a month later she’s up to 20.7. How big is Atticus now?
Wesley - Beaumont
cameliza
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog parents to 6yo Belle (Berner-mutt rescue) and 12wk old Atticus (DS). Rolling with the punches.

Post by cameliza »

Yeah, it'll definitely be cool to see how they all progress! He was 26lb at his last checkup a week ago but seems like he's grown a lot in the past week, I wouldn't be surprised if he's around 30 now. I think they told us he was the biggest and "laziest" in the litter (oxymoron?). He's a little pudgy but I think he'll grow out of it when he's old enough to start running with me...the breeder told me 8 months, unless anyone else has experience with that?
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

cameliza wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:31 am Yeah, it'll definitely be cool to see how they all progress! He was 26lb at his last checkup a week ago but seems like he's grown a lot in the past week, I wouldn't be surprised if he's around 30 now. I think they told us he was the biggest and "laziest" in the litter (oxymoron?). He's a little pudgy but I think he'll grow out of it when he's old enough to start running with me...the breeder told me 8 months, unless anyone else has experience with that?
From my personal experience, I think that might be right on the edge of too young. Especially if the dog is in the large side. That being said, I reckon the breeder knows best. There are posts on here concerning growth and bone development. Give them a search!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
cameliza wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:31 am Yeah, it'll definitely be cool to see how they all progress! He was 26lb at his last checkup a week ago but seems like he's grown a lot in the past week, I wouldn't be surprised if he's around 30 now. I think they told us he was the biggest and "laziest" in the litter (oxymoron?). He's a little pudgy but I think he'll grow out of it when he's old enough to start running with me...the breeder told me 8 months, unless anyone else has experience with that?
From my personal experience, I think that might be right on the edge of too young. Especially if the dog is in the large side. That being said, I reckon the breeder knows best. There are posts on here concerning growth and bone development. Give them a search!
Agreed 8 month is too young they need more time to grow