Board Navigation

Make your requests for changes and/or additions
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Board Navigation

Post by leih merigian »

Eric, got another question for you.

The other board I frequent that uses this same basic format works a bit differently than this one, and I'm wondering if it's a matter of admin settings or something.

I always hit "new messages" after logging in. On the other board, after I view a topic, I can hit the back button and return to the list of new messages. Very easy to use.

On this board, you can't do that. If you hit the back button, you get a "page expired" page. Returning to the thread you were on, your option is to return to the section that thread came from, rather than back to your list of new messages.

Is that something you can tweak? :?:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Board Navigation

Post by icvanstra »

Leih,

From a personal/professional point I hate my answer that I'm going to give you.

I can't duplicate the problem.

I've tried it with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Also, I've tried it with both my admin account and a dummy account with minimal privileges.

I need to see if anyone else is having the problem...then i can definitively state that it's a problem with the host/software.

eric
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Okay - request out to other members of the DSF board!! Having a similar problem???

eric
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

icvanstra wrote:I can't duplicate the problem.

I've tried it with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Also, I've tried it with both my admin account and a dummy account with minimal privileges.
OK...so you can click "new messages," view one, then hit the back button and you end up back at the list of new messages?

I'm getting better at working around it...I just hit "board index," then "new messages," and go from there.

I'll be curious to find out if anyone else has the same experience.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

leih merigian wrote:
OK...so you can click "new messages," view one, then hit the back button and you end up back at the list of new messages?
yep. That is all I do.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I can hit "View new Posts" ad then go back and forth between them. Its pretty handy. LOL. I can't believe I have been admining the PSA Board for about a year and never tried that awesome method of keeping up.

I'm using Google Chrome.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Christie - off topic. Make sure you are keeping up on updates with Google Chrome. It is fairly new and they are finding security holes in it on a regular basis.

---

Using the "view new posts" is a great way to quickly see what has been updated since you last visited. It does require that you log out of the website and back in for the list to update.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I have the same problem that Leih reports. Sucks. :cry: I always look for 'new messages' but if I am done with one in that particular list, I need to go back to board index first, and from there to 'new messages' again in order to get the list back. On the Dutch board (Eric) I can hit the back button and land myself on the new messages list again and pick the next hot item.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Whew! I'm sorry you're having this problem too, but I'm so glad it's not just me!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

I'm still not able to duplicate the problem so this is going to be tough to fix.

Researching the issue on the PHPBB (software company) is showing this as a problem back in 2008 and only with Internet Explorer version 7....supposedly fixed though.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

What version of web browser are the two of you using?

Go to "help" and then "about"
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:lol: explorer 7. I do not have the problem on the Dutch board though, so it is still strange that this would occur here and not there? I just plugged in a different computer. Let me see if I still have issues with this.
Just a moment ago, I tried to follow a link, and got lost on that website with no way back here. Had to sign back in and all. :evil: Normally, I can just close the site I visited and be back on a board?
Bah.

edit:
I can click back on the 'new posts' list if I only read a thread, but not once I posted.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:I can click back on the 'new posts' list if I only read a thread, but not once I posted.
OMG...it's the same for me, Judith! I'll bet I've got the 7 thing, too :roll:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser