Breeding - Seperate owner and trainer?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Vhyran
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello there! I own a white german shepherd and a 1 year old Dutch shepherd called "Wega" He's my workind dog and I'm working in a Security Company for Events :)

Breeding - Seperate owner and trainer?

Post by Vhyran »

Dear members,

My life did a 180 degree turn and I now have a few questions about DS for you.
Wega is a high drive dog with Mondio 1 and lots of prey drive, his pedigree goes back to Ringo v. Vastenov and my trainer asked me, if I want to step in professional working Line Breeding (KNPV, not FCI).
He is experienced with X-Breeding, owns a very great Tervueren, two Mal's and one X' (Tervueren/Dutchie).
The man is here known for worldwide and austrian-wide championsships, police championships and other stuff.

He trained Wega from day 1 and asked me, if I am interested to step in his working dog breeding program with Wega.
He would train the dogs and present them on shows and championships, the cost would be split up to half and all the income also.

First I want to say: I don't want "big money" from breeding.
A stable good dog with great health, drive and will to work is for me more important than money.

So I want to ask, what are your experiences with split up Owner/Breeder/Trainer?
Did you have problems with that?
What should I look for ? (contracts and other stuff)

Here in Austria it is very rare that the owner gives the dog to a seperate trainer to train them, so I am a bit insecure about that.
It is very motorious to give the dog to other training facilities so "they" does the training work for the owner.

Any suggestions about that for me?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Breeding - Seperate owner and trainer?

Post by centrop67 »

Breeding titled working dogs for a specific purpose - check.
Professionally trained dogs - check.

None of what you describe sounds fishy - except it sounds like too good to be true when you get half the money and all the work is done by someone else.

It would be business though, and a contract should be a necessity.

You might want to also check out the post regarding researching a breeder.

If most of the basics will be covered by the breeder (health tests, contracts, etc.) it's likely to be on the level.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there is no "big Money" from breeding, that is how I got my rescue DS< the cop thought he could make a lot of money so he bread them and gave up the rest when he didnt want to do it anymore.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Vhyran
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello there! I own a white german shepherd and a 1 year old Dutch shepherd called "Wega" He's my workind dog and I'm working in a Security Company for Events :)

Post by Vhyran »

Good evening,

Thank you so much for your wisdom, I am totally on the same level with you, Dutchringgirl.
We will have a good target to aim at, we don't want "just putting dogs together".
There are too much abuse on animals on that so I am not a fan of that kind of "breeding".
Here in Europe the east lands like poland, Czech are dumping cheap and heavy sick puppys year after year to our countrys...that's a shame and that is disgusting. Poor animals!

So we will follow a special target on breeding with specific conditions.
Of course we will do all possible health checks (also genetic tests) because we want good and healthy dogs for generations if possible. So we also write proper informations about the dogs (my trainer does it anyway - he writes down everything about that: health certificate, drive, character (also lack of character like unsecure behavior, fear, etc.), also just small things like shots, hip x ray and other stuff).

Yeah...we split up all the costs (food, health tests, certifactes, shows,...) so we want to start on a good and honest partnership.
It would be business though, and a contract should be a necessity.
Right, I am totally new to that kind of contracts do you have some inputs what is good to have in?
I know there are some differences between US/EU..but maybe you have some suggestions? I will really appreciate that - also gladly at Private Message.

Thank you for your help and comments :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He sounds like he is ok and knows what he is doing. If Steve comes in and chimes in, he would be the best though. Personally, I would find a lawyer that deals with that and go over the contract with them to make sure you are protected in case anything should happen.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Vhyran
Puppy

Post by Vhyran »

Thank you so much I will search for a good lawyer. That is really not easy :D