Dutch Shepherd missing in Washington DC area

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Dutch Shepherd missing in Washington DC area

Post by vneerland »

I am back in Texas, after a trip to the DC area to see if I could help find the missing girl and bring her home. There had been sightings almost every day, until the moment that I got into the truck, with a friend, and a trio of brindles. Then all news stopped and we chased a total ghost for almost a week. (when we had not planned on staying there more than a few days to begin with) Who would have believed that there is so much unspoiled nature, slap in the middle of the DC area! Our fugitive had found a plush retreat in a 1000 acre park, with many inaccessable sections. The new onwner and myself finally spotted her last Thursday, on our 1 am walk through the neighborhood. She is faster than lighting and was off the road where we spotted her and a friend coming over the hill, in just a fraction of a second. Then she stopped, in the shadows on the sidewalk and appeared to study me and her niece, Tara. I managed to slowly approach her halfway, but then she dashed off again. :( Her friend, looked like a beagle and he too took off in an opposite direction. Way overdue for our trip home, I made a last sweep through the park on Saturday. I had called her for a week, no result. Then a yipyipyip answer after my call. And again. And again. But my friend was at the opposite side of the park, with Tara, so while I did recognize the voice of one of my dogs, I assumed it was my own juvenile, not the fugitive. It appears that I was wrong, since the 'pup' was not to blame. But if she answered me, she never did show up or reveal herself and my hike into the park where we heard the yips yielded nothing. I was pretty bummed when I made my last walk through the neighborhood that night. All that time, and still no dog. I had barely made it in the house, when the neighbor across the street called, telling us that she was in the front yard. When I made it out there, she was gone again and she did not show up again (that I know of) that night. I made it back to Texas, and she has been seen twice since and the food that the owners are putting out is disappearing again. There are many foxes in the neighborhood, so it is not certain that she is actually getting the food, but it is positioned in such a way that it is less likely to be fox bait and more likely DS bait.
I learned a lot over the past week. I learned that a friendly, sweet dog can revert to instinct and change into a creature that would make a seasoned wolf proud. I learned that when instinct takes over, what you knew about a dog may no longer automatically apply. I learned that these things do NOT only happen to people who have dogs that you could never catch on the best of days, but also to dogs who normally would not leave your side, and are very obedient and adjusted. I learned that there needs to be a better system, so that you do not end up calling every shelter separeately, as well as animal control, police, and the local department of transportation, to see if they did not (sorry) scape your dog off the road. Seems that DOT has no obligation to report anything, nor are they held to check tags. The story continues. She looked great when I spotted her, 3 weeks after her error in judgement. Nobody has given up on her yet and I will remain positive that we will get her home some time soon. But being smarter than a DS? That is NOT easy! :shock:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Thanks for the update, Judith. I'll continue to think positive thoughts for the poor girl. You are doing all that you can to catch her. Hopefully it pays off very soon and she comes home.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

pfff, still no dog :cry: Even in humans it was studied that "instincts" still take over in about 48 hours of a different enviroment. So a dog will certainly go back to it's instincts... It must have been SO frustrating seeing the dog but not being able to make contact. I hope the dog will eventually go back home for food more regularly, and hopefully she will find her way back in the family like that...
What about using one of those "life-traps" for a deer or something big like that? Put food in it a bit further everyday, setting the actual trap after a week, so you catch the dog? :roll:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Judith, I am sorry for this whole situation that seems to never end either way. I agree that you have given it your very best shot. Did I read correctly that you were even taking night walks searching in DC?!?! Oh my lady! :eek:

This situation reminds me of 2 GSDs that were dumped in a rural area off the Katrina hurricane evac route thru central Louisiana. It was common for people to dump their dogs or tie them to fences along that route as they evacuated. I had a call about 2-3 weeks after someone had initially spotted the dogs (back when I was doing GSD rescue). One large dark red male and a small silver female. I commenced to put out food three days a week, set very large AC traps, even doped their food but to no avail. The trap was very large but not large enough for the male who would go in stretched way out with back legs outside on the ground and trip the trap but still be free. I saw him do it. I even had a friend who is licensed with tranquilizer gun go out but we never could get close enough for a shot. I spent days and days, hours and hours trying to befriend and catch them. But they acted more and more like wild dogs. Then finally after about 2-1/2 months, the male was run over on the highway. Immediately, the female went to a neighbor house as if she had never been roaming. They called me to pick her up. Guessing it was the evasive male who had influenced her.

In the DC DS, my guess is that they should probably limit the amount they are feeding to just a small amount that keeps the dog close but yet hungry and then set a trap with something very enticing.

I hope that soon before the winter weather sets in that she is caught. It will happen, hang in there. :wtg:

Denise Gatlin
Louisiana

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Can you add something to the food to sedate her?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:I am back in Texas, after a trip to the DC area to see if I could help find the missing girl and bring her home.
I had a very strong feeling that this is exactly what was going on. I must admit to being very surprised that she didn't come to you!

But, as you mentioned, all the stuff you learned about a well-trained and obedient dog who has been loose on it's own for a while, reverting, well, that all makes sense. But, what a bummer! Such a long trip and to no avail!

I am glad no one is giving up...I will continue to hope for a happy ending, of course! (Denise's idea of putting out food, but not too much, seems to make sense...)

Smart little buggers!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I just had a discussion today with someone- they said domestic dogs are uncapable of reverting back to a wild 'wolf-like' state. I send them right to this thread. It's exactly what she has done, which is a shame.

The food is not a bad idea.

This may be too traumatic for her, since she's already running scared- but what about a person with a super great shot equipped with a dart gun? Nail her, and get a dog to track her down once she's sedated? It'd be easier then trying to ensure SHE got the baited food, rather then a coyote, or coon IMO.
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

I think the ability to revert to a wild state might be related to the amount of instinct that the individual dog possesses. Unfortunately, a lot of what working dogs are asked to do, is directly related to drive/instinct. I used to have a malinois bitch, who had been raised by human hands since the day after her birth. She dug the most awesome den for her pups, was totally ferocious when it came to protecting her babies and knew what to do in any all situations, when I was sure that she could NOT have picked it up from her own dam. I think there are many dogs out there, that could not run with the wolves, so to speak. Some, unfortunately, seem to have great talent for it though. :cry:
Considering any and all suggestions. For the moment, she is unbelievably fast and you would not even see her long enough to take aim.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

somehow this reminds me of the book "lord of the flies", even humans turn back to their instincts, this type of dog is, like Judith says, already pretty much in touch with their instincts. I hope she will be tired of it eventually, or whatever, and come back in touch with her domesticated side... :( Crossing my fingers ;)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

I flew back to DC almost a week ago today and have been hunting for her ever since. Right after I left DC the last time, there had been a few sightings, but they soon stopped and nothing has been reported since. My lovely social girl has become an elusive black wolf. Or she is halfway back to Texas by now, who is to say. In that case, I would better start saving for the welcome home party I will throw her.
Please keep your fingers crossed. I cannot imagine having to go back again without bringing her in. :(
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Judith, that's just terrible. The little scamp. The whole thing must just make you nuts (oh, is that what's doing it?<g>)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure she's terrified, and I know you are terrified for her. :( All paws and fingers crossed in my house for you and your girly.
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

arg! I saw the new posting in this topic and hoped to find the "she's back!" answer :( Sure hope she will give in sometime, and seek people again...
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Post by syzygy »

Judith, I am getting no mail, this is the only way I thought I could let you know...DFW plans fine, hopefully the lost girl is heading home to you now...mail may be getting out but I have received nothing from anyone for 24 hrs now :-(

Ellisa
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

The update:
I went back for round two of my hollander hunt. And I am finding out that the dog is way smarter than I am. :shock: She had been seen right after I left after my first 'tour' and then it went quiet again. Though all those in the know say not to let that affect you, it will of course create the inevitable doubt that the dog is no longer. (in the area or otherwise)
I went on about my business though, as if she had been spotted the day before, frequenting her possible hideouts and paths. For 10 days, there is no sign and no call. Every time I met someone walking their dog, I would ask the same question. So eventually, someone told me that they had seen a black dog there-and-there, but that they did not think it could have been the same dog as the one on the posters, since those has been up so long. :? Most people write off missing dogs after a few days, it seems.
The description (fast as lightning) fit my dog though, so I went over there the next say, and researched the area and put up more posters.
Then 2 days before my flight back, I hear that she has been spotted on the street leading to her intended new home at 9 AM while I was there! She was seen and in the process of dodging her pursuers she cleared the hood of a parked car with ease, giving herself no time to run around it. After 6 weeks now, she seems to be no worse for the wear. But nobody called as this was happening and I find out about it half a day later when the trail is cold again. But hey, it was a sighting and proof of the fact that I am not a poor delusional soul who cannot face the reality of a loss. I do know that many people think that, but it does not bother me, since there are others who will freely admit that they too would not give up unless they absolutely had to. I extended my stay by a few more days, and the trail seems to have gone cold again when I hear about a second sighting, two days later. This time, nobody was after her and she was quietly sniffing around an elementary school, deserted on a sunday morning. And while it seemed quite a distance away from the first sighting, I know that it wouldn't take her more than a short jog. And I finally realized that I need to really read up on wolf behavior in order to figure out what her next move will be. My next move will be to Texas. Unless she comes in tonight or tommorrow, I need to come up with a future plan C. The Washington wolf is still on the loose. Doing very well for herself and with a lot more energy and vigor than I have left right now. I am thinking about getting her to teach survival classes when she comes back home. :roll:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Oh man Judith,

I don't know if I should be thrilled, or so sad. I am happy that she is still alive and that you had not given up on her. It makes me so sad how quickly they discover freedom and loose the call of a cushy couch and regular meals.

She is so lucky to have you to worry about her and continue the pursuit. You are right, most would have given up by now. It just goes to show that its not just us German's who are stubborn!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Gee, Judith, you have gone above the call of duty in your effort to catch this evasive DS girl. I am sure it is costing a chunk for the travel and the stays. Most folks would have thrown in the towel. It sure proves your devotion to your DSs. This is exactly what I was referring to in another thread about the passion and devotion the forum members have for our beloved DSs, but you certainly lead the pack, lady!! She is evidently smart enough to stay safe. It will happen, just hang in there. :wtg:

Denise Gatlin
Louisiana

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

pfffff... you know best how her character will tell her she's doing fine, don't need no human, I'll manage. Sure hope she will, for whatever reason, decide to go back to humans once more. I would be insane by now in your position, everytime news, but never able to catch her... It's pretty tough trying to outsmart a DS... About the Wolf behaviour, I seriously believe this could help out, they do turn wild, back to primal instincts. I have no idea what temperature it is in DC right now, but would camping outside for a couple of days be an idea? Or is the area she is spotted in too big? Awww, all the best Judith, you must be very close to total exhaustion, I'm thinking of you guys, maybe it helps ;)
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

Still thinking about you both!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

:? Sightings are being called in slow, this long after the posters first went up.
I re postered some area's where people had taken them down and one call came in yesterday. A mother reporting that the 3rd grade class had collectively spotted a black wolf outside. The teacher did not see it and dismissed it. The parents, of course, dismissed it too. Until one of the kids saw a poster on the way home and felt vindicated. "See? That's the wolf we saw! "