Anecdotes from the WEIRD, WILD, WONDERFUL WORLD of our DS

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Anecdotes from the WEIRD, WILD, WONDERFUL WORLD of our DS

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Here's one for you guys. I recently bought H a chuck-it as an experimental toy. So after a lot of back and forth I got him one. First day he was so in love - tail wouldn't stop wagging - and we played for forty minutes, even after 30 seconds he popped the ball it came with.

Well, I made several mistakes in this first outing, but didn't realize it at the time. Next time I took him out I brought a different ball, one he liked all the same, but he refused to go after the ball and kept barking at me. So, assuming it had to the the tennis-ball like ball and not the smooth balls, I bought the smooth orange color ball and a set of the tennis ones. Meanwhile, every day we would try to go out and throw various balls with the chuckit, all ending in barking and leaps to pull the chuck it out of my hands. When the precious orange balls arrived, no such luck, he even ignored the tennis-ball like balls. So I'm standing there, ultimately confused, when H grabs the chuck it and starts screaming on the bite. I mean he has never been THAT excited about something. So I let go of the chuck it and he's running around the yard with it in his mouth like he's won the best trophy.

Suddenly I'm wondering if it's not even the balls he wants. So I recall him, tell him to drop the chuck it, and throw the chuck it stick. And he takes off like a bolt. I repeat, load up a ball, throw the ball, he doesn't move. Throw the chuck it and he takes off. Repeat, load a ball, throw chuck it with the ball, and he retrieves the chuck it. So now, all said and done, I have to throw the balls a few times then throw the chuck it stick for him to stop the screaming and chattering and dancing around me... all said and done I have a 20$ giant fetch stick... (facepalm)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

:dsrazz:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

NO different than kids and cats. spend $$$$ on a toy and they play with the box :eek:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

He's now decided the chuck-it balls make better soccer balls... Sigh. At least they have a purpose.

And antlers make great throw sticks too... he keeps bringing me them to throw and gets mad when I refuse. Where he comes up with these ideas...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Quick one for today.
Empty laundry basket: A-Ok
Upside down empty laundry basket: ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd- DON'T LET IT GET ME DAD!!!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

If I could ask Endeavor what her most important job around the house is, she would undoubtedly reply "running back and forth with my tongue out, snagging everything on the floor that might be a morsel, and also stealing socks...sometimes off of feet"
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Today, the toaster was evil. It might have been the mixer behind it; kinda looks like it has one eye in the middle of it.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

More restless energy sock thieving.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

This is difficult to admit. And gross.
Occasionally, I'll use a couple of large tin cans to hold scent. I'll drop them in the yard, wait twenty minutes or so and put Endeavor to work on searching. Yesterday, I set a can containing a few chunks of freezer burned lamb out right at dusk. But, instead of waiting just twenty minutes, we all got sidetracked meeting our new neighbors (hope it's not as bad as I think it will be) :whistle: . It was well after dark by the time I got En out to search. For some reason, she either wasn't picking up the scent or was more interested in whatever else had been scurrying around in the dark. I worked her closer and closer to the can of meat. So close that she walked right over top of it-twIce. She was clearly working a different scent. So, I figured I'd give her a refresher. I reached into the can while she was pulling off in another direction. Now...here's where I messed up. I could clearly make out the shape of the can where I had nestled it. But I couldn't see in it. I picked up a "chunk of meat". I brought endeavor about ten feet downwind of the can, and called her to me. She seemed to be uninterested in the lamb I offered her. So, I commanded her to take it. I felt her teeth touch my fingers, and I kinda shoved "the meat" back into her mouth. Her reaction was without delay. Her head shook violently and she flapped her tongue as far out as she could. She hacked and scraped her tongue. Finally, she looked up at me. Right into me eyes, and barked at me. One short, deep, "F you" bark. This all took maybe two seconds. During that time, my thoughts were as follows: "what the hell- you don't like lamb/wait/WTF/oh shit, did I just do what o think I did" I pulled out my phone and used the light to look for "the meat". Couldn't find it. So...I went back to the can. There, where I had carefully placed three bite sized pieces of lamb into a tin can, there now sat a can containing at least twenty slugs. Eww. I fed my dog a slug. The look on her face when she cut me that short bark was unmistakable. It was stern, and professional. She knew I effed up, and was calling me out on it.

Side note: slug slime is mind bogglingly difficult to clean from fingers.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

:yernuts:
Weird stuff my dog eats:
·The armpits our of all my work shirts.
·The fuzz off of new tennis balls.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this as time progresses :roll:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

You should search for my post... Don't eat the sock
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:47 pm You should search for my post... Don't eat the sock
LOL.
I love the last comment. Endeavor's ABSOLUTE FAVORITE thing to roll in is dead toads.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

This morning I dropped the lid to my industrial sized bottle of Excedrin. It rolled a short distance and stopped right in between En's front legs. I looked at her. She looked at me with her typical intense stare. I thought to myself, what the hell... and I said "Bring it". She looked at me. She looked down at it with her mouth all loose and goofy looking. I waited a moment. Nothing. Again, I commanded "bring it". She cocked her head at me. Looked around. Looked down at the lid. I marked with YES. "Bring it!"again. This time she grumbled and huffed at me while shifting her hind legs. "Oh-jeez" I said out loud...She was being technical with me. "Ok, Take it" I muttered. She snapped it up before the words finished. Now she looked ready! "Bring it", I said, rolling my eyes. And there it came, right up to me nice and gently.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Smarty pants!
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:52 pm Smarty pants!
Is there an open smarty pants forum? I gave only a cursory look.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

next she's going to wait for me to say Simon says.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

My puppy came to us from an outside only area. He was just a little puppy at the time and scratched his leg in my lap. I scratched the itchy spot for him with my nails. He throws his head back, immediately comes forward in my lap and preens my arm with his teeth like he's itching a flea bite on himself with his teeth back,very carefully. I was so thrown off I guffawed at it! He's done it once since, as though he figures if I scratch his itch, he should scratch mine.

He has also woke my husband up once by bringing him his water bowl on the porch, and dumping it all over him. (Lol!)
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Last night, while I was getting a shower, En found her Chukit ball. It had been missing for about a day. To me at, least. I heard her pick it up and drop it at least a dozen times on the wood floor just outside the bathroom door. I was getting annoyed. I told her to stop. The bathroom door was only pushed-to...next thing I know, her head is poking in the shower. She looked up at me with the ball in her mouth. I swear I didn't do anything. She grumbled at me, dropped the ball in the tub and pranced away. ..This dog...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Is there anything that you struggle to accomplish while your dogs have free roam around you? As in typical daily tasks that prove absolutely futile when the dog is free?
Me- I can't tie shoes without getting cranked in the face by the top of a spastic dog's head.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm I can't tie shoes without getting cranked in the face by the top of a spastic dog's head.
:lol:

I have a similar problem getting dressed in the morning. A cold, damp nose to the naked butt is almost better than coffee for waking up.
Michael