Semen imports

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Beechtree
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a LH-DS dog in the USA, and would like to network with other DS owners

Semen imports

Post by Beechtree »

Hi All,

Many of the potential LH-DS sellers in the EU are leary of a puppy going abroad, and some even refuse to sell one if it will make that long (hours) of a trip. This is even if it is possible for it to travel in the 'cabin' verses as a checked bag due to either size/ weight, or if the airlines not allowing a dog in the cabin for an international flight.

So, the other option for getting new genetics is to see if a suitable stud can be collected, frozen, and imported. So has anyone done any importing of frozen canine semen?

thanks,
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: Semen imports

Post by Marjolein »

I know of a breeder in France that imported frozen semen from a Dutch male, worked out fine, 3 pups (bitch had always had small litters)
KRoberts626
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch Shepherd owner. Used to own/train Beaucerons.

Post by KRoberts626 »

I've heard of it being done. I had a friend look into it once, importing the semen from France to the USA. You have to pay not only the stud fee, but for the shipping of the semen which she was quoted $800. And they recommend you get 2 in case it doesn't "take." It's better frozen, than chilled I'm told. Success rate is lower than live cover, of course. And usually when it is a success the litters are small.
Kristen Roberts
Vrijheid's Guitan aka "Ziva" - Dutch Shepherd
Ryne des Chevaliers du Noir, CGC, FR trained (RIP 12/07 - Beauceron)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

KRoberts626 wrote:I've heard of it being done. I had a friend look into it once, importing the semen from France to the USA. You have to pay not only the stud fee, but for the shipping of the semen which she was quoted $800. And they recommend you get 2 in case it doesn't "take." It's better frozen, than chilled I'm told. Success rate is lower than live cover, of course. And usually when it is a success the litters are small.
Plus the bitch will most likely have to be implanted, on top of checking progesteron every few days to determine the exact ovulation. Semen will have to meet USDA guidelines and import regulations. For that, the stud himself will have to meet certain criteria, I believe. It would most likely be cheaper to fly a bitch to Europe, have her bred, and ship back with (hopefully) buns in the oven. Or, realistically, just find a promising pup. I refuse to believe that LHbreeders will not ship across the pond. :?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I know a few who will? Which breeders have you checked out so far (which lines do you prefer?)?