A Trooper's Reaction

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

A Trooper's Reaction

Post by Raven »

A friend of mine knows a trooper who just got a new GSD pup to train for their program.

Friend asks: Have you ever thought about getting a Dutch shepherd for the department?
Trooper: Those dogs are so f****** intense and hard-wired, if you don't know how to work them, you end up with a killer on your hands.
Friend: A friend of mine has one.
Trooper: AS A PET?????
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: A Trooper's Reaction

Post by Stacy_R »

HA!!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

LOL that's great.
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

LOL. Love it.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:slap: :slap:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

I asked Dutch last night if he was a little nutty and aggressive. I got a blank stare he licked my noise took off and started chasing a dangerous robin in my back yard. Yes dangerous unruly dog.

problemed solved.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

It would seem his views come from his world, his experience, whatever that is, but I'd assume it includes highly skilled dogs, even if just a few.

In my area, there are only two DSs in law enforcement that I know of. Haven't heard stories regarding those dogs (or if the trooper was referencing issues with those particular dogs), but a cop in a department out of my area told me they had issues with their DSs because the handlers treated them the same as a GSD in correction and the DSs went up the lead (which they can be known to do), so it came down to dog vs. cop. BUT, I guess they learned to switch tactics, so all ended up well.

I thought the trooper's reaction was funny. Not well-rounded, but funny.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie used to go at me if I made a mistake, only did that a few times :whistle:

I guess if someone dosnt get alot of exposure to them, the could seem like loose cannons.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I guess if someone dosnt get alot of exposure to them, the could seem like loose cannons.
I used to read a fair amount of other boards. It seemed--to me, anyway--that the less exposure someone had to them, including cops, the larger the "psycho" mentality was. DSs were most commonly and naturally compared to GSDs. One thread on a pro working dog forum was: GSD vs. DS? One guy: whichever one does the job better. Another guy: DSs are psycho. Another guy: once you work with a DS, you'll never go back. And on the span of opinions went. Didn't know any of these guys, so have no clue about how they formed their opinions.

And then there was the woman who said she'd never own a DS because she'd seen them at work..."Impressive, but too much dog. No,thanks."

And let's not forget the departments who occasionally try to save money by either breeding "themselves" or going with a (fly-by-night) more affordable breeder. The extreme opinion (killers, psychos) can also get bred from the dogs that likely result from these instances.
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

That post is so funny to me. I had a similar conversation with the k-9 giys at work.....

Them: you got a what?

Me: a dutch shepherd.

Them: why?

Me: they are awesome.

Them: they are crazy. They do awesome at trials but so "hard".

Me: I like them better than y'alls mals and gsds (no offense meant against mal and gsd owners).

Them: good luck.

Me: don't need it!!!!!

But that is not as funny as the public.....

Them: beautiful dog what is it? (Some is that a gsd mix)

Me: no a dutch shepherd.

Them: is that like a gsd.

Me: sort of. They are shepherds but instead of being from Germany they are from Holland. They speak a whole different language.

That usually ends the conversation. Lol
Karen & Xander
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

karenz wrote:But that is not as funny as the public.....

Them: beautiful dog what is it? (Some is that a gsd mix)

Me: no a dutch shepherd.

Them: is that like a gsd.

Me: sort of. They are shepherds but instead of being from Germany they are from Holland
At a neighborhood party a few years ago with folks I didn't know well, after I adopted my second DS, someone said they heard I got a new dog...what kind? A Dutch shepherd. "A whaaaaat...?" kind of response. Because every kind of shepherd is a German shepherd, isn't it?

Similar to you, I tried to explain they weren't GERMAN. The folks looked pretty confused, because every shepherd IS a German shepherd. What kind of dog ISN'T German if it's a shepherd? Whaaaaat...?

A guy walking by told them very matter-of-factly, "It's a German shepherd" and kept on walking.

And the peasants rejoiced.

At a subsequent gathering, one of the peasants got a new dog. They thought a GSD-mix. A peasant said, "Talk to Sharon! She knows all about German shepherds!"

I said I didn't.

The peasant looked confused.

I pointed to my sweatshirt: "DUTCH SHEPHERDS...KING OF DOGS."

The peasant looked confused.
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I pointed to my sweatshirt: "DUTCHSHEPHERDS...KING OF DOGS."

I love it. I think I will create a t-shirt that explains my dog and wear it whenever I take him somewhere. Like front of shirt in big letters.... "No I am a DUTCH SHEPHERD". Then on the back list why I am a dutch shepherd. Like this...

1) I am the best dog ever.... DUTCH SHEPHERD.

2) I am brindled, not tan or saddled

3) I have way more energy than your dog

4) NO I'm not a mix (because it would be to hard to explain the knpv lines)

5) NO you can't get one of me, nobody in there right mind would give you one if you didn't know #1.

Ok. So everyone help me come up with a top 10 and I will get a shirt made.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

there's a good chance i'm smarter than your kids [??????????]
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

I like that one johninny
Karen & Xander
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Ooooooooh, I feel a new thread coming on. A tee-shirt suggestion post.

Piggy-backing John's suggestion, one certainly should be about their intelligence, but how it's worded would depend upon the slant of the theme.

With Karen's theme, I AM A DUTCH SHEPHERD BECAUSE...., John's suggestion could read:

I am smarter than German shepherds (and you, too).

Or: I'm smarter than other shepherd dogs, including the German ones.
A separate line: I'm smarter than you are.

(I can scale a 10' wall like Spiderman)
(I kick ass instead of ?????)

The brindled line is a must-have, but so many breeds are brindled, maybe we have to come up with a unique way of saying it...?

I was confused, though, about the "I am" part, since it's a tee you'd be wearing, not the dog. (Course, we might want to buy in on this, too!)

Will think on this. Gotta go. Can't wait to see who else chimes in. :D
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Best line I ever overheard was "oh that's what you get when you breed a black German Shepherd with a tan one" in reference to Mr. H's coat.

Ooooh, I'm going to try with tag lines too!!!

Defender against Rakes/Birds/Cars/Grass/Trucks/Mice/Balls/Sticks… And Everything Else

Professional Notice-r of Things

Brindled and NOT German

Going off John's… MENSA DOG

Hallo, ik ben een Hollandse Herder.. uit Holland (Hello, I am a Dutch Shepherd… from Holland -- thanks to Google Translate I probably butchered this)

EAT. TUG. RUN. BITE. (or other very DS things?)

Where's the tug? Where's the tug? I GOTTA HAVE IT.

Brindled. Smart. Alert. It's gotta be a Dutch.

What's a German Shepherd?

OMG. IT'S A TUG. WANT.

Too cool to be German.

Brindled Tornado.

Going off Karen's…. I AM A DUTCH SHEPHERD BECAUSE: 1) What's tired?, 2) I'm brindled, 3) I'm smarter than you, 4) I love to play, 5) I'm brindled.

Pocket Rocket on Caffiene.

I have no off switch.

And no hate against the GSDs… love them too!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Ooohh. I'm getting great ideas. I love Hallo, ik ben een Hollandse Herder.. uit Holland. And Brindled. Smart. Alert. It's gotta be a Dutch. All great ideas. I will post my shirt when it's made. I want lots of ideas.
Karen & Xander
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Ok before bed and a busy couple days at work... how bout #10.... ball ball..ball...ball....ball......ball......ball.........ball
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHAHA, so funny !!! I have never had anyone disagree with me after I say DS, unless its behind my back LOL. Or maybe they are too afraid of them to cross me. the GSD people I have met so far think they are cool. I just shared some great stories with a retired NYC cop who has GSD, it was so fun to share the trial and work stories.

Karen, I love the " Ball..........ball...........ball..............ball..........thats Thalie. Not sure what Sadie would be..........maybe a picture of a soup pot????
ImageImage
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

One of my favorites:

People who stop traffic to role up and ask
Car " excuse me, what breed is that?"
Me: "A Duch Sheherd"
Car: "A Dutchie, a drug dog right?"
Me "No a Dutch Shepherd"
Car "Whatever, nice looking dog" drive off

But really that would explain why he always has the munchies.

A new slogan for the back of the tee shirt " A dog capable of jumping over it's owner". as in the counter with food is on the otherside of it's owner.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat