Puppy energy

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Puppy energy

Post by Chillyroses »

So, because my pup has soooo much energy, I'm thinking of starting him skijoring. He goes to class once a week, daycare twice a week, and daily walks but he's still wound up. Now with huskys we start weight at ten months, but other breeds have different ages based on development. I can't find anything on dutchies pulling, but I'd imagine he can handle light weight and training. At this point he needs to start harness training before he drives me mad. Agility will start come spring, it's too cold now. Anyone have experiences with dutchies in harness? Or other energy outlets for pups?
Jessie & Diesel
Also other rescues who moved in and never left.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: Puppy energy

Post by Marjolein »

How old is your pup? :shock: I would not let them pull any weight untill they are fully grown, which is, depending on size, at about 1,5 years :dsroll:
I just started bike-jöring with a dog that will be 4 tomorrow (you're all invited :party3: ) But it really is have on them. Why not start with some normal walking next to the bike without any pulling? Just walking calmly, build that up to 20km, than you could start thinking about pulling. This too I would never do with a dog under a year.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Chillyroses wrote:So, because my pup has soooo much energy, I'm thinking of starting him skijoring. He goes to class once a week, daycare twice a week, and daily walks but he's still wound up. Now with huskys we start weight at ten months, but other breeds have different ages based on development. I can't find anything on dutchies pulling, but I'd imagine he can handle light weight and training. At this point he needs to start harness training before he drives me mad. Agility will start come spring, it's too cold now. Anyone have experiences with dutchies in harness? Or other energy outlets for pups?
I'm curious about his age, like Marjolein...

Also, aside from the class once a week, do you train daily? What kinds of things are you training? They need a great deal of mental stimulation, in addition to age-appropriate physical activity.

It doesn't matter at all what you train, as long as you train. There are lots of things you can do indoors to prepare for agility...handling kinds of things. Send him around an object (chair, etc), in one direction, then the other, following your physical and verbal cues. When this is going well, add a second chair...you can do figure 8s and lots of different combinations, all the while, teaching him to follow your lead. Then, add a third object...etc.

Fun obedience...you'll need good start line stays in agility, so work on sit and down stays (make the distractions fun!).

Teach tricks...teach your pup to sit and lift the right or left foot, on verbal cue...then add distance (you'll be surprised how that changes the exercise for him :D ).

If you're going to have him fetch a ball/toy, make him earn it first....get him pumped up, then ask for a behavior, then release and send him after the toy.

So, I'm curious about what you're already doing with him...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Post by Chillyroses »

We do daily training, just about every time I stand up we work for a few mins. Basics, sit down dance, stay bow, speak, anything to keep his mind moving. Our major training lesson this week(s) is long down stay. He was born march last year and is about 50 pounds already so he's likely going to be larger than is desirable. He has commands all down, just needs polishing as any teenage dog does.
I do love the bike idea, however there is too much snow on the ground. Going around things is good too, he knows twirl and spin but not around stuff. He knows right left and back, so I can just make it more difficult.
And happy 4th bday! How exciting!
Jessie & Diesel
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Chillyroses wrote:We do daily training, just about every time I stand up we work for a few mins. Basics, sit down dance, stay bow, speak, anything to keep his mind moving. Our major training lesson this week(s) is long down stay. He was born march last year and is about 50 pounds already so he's likely going to be larger than is desirable. He has commands all down, just needs polishing as any teenage dog does.
I do love the bike idea, however there is too much snow on the ground. Going around things is good too, he knows twirl and spin but not around stuff. He knows right left and back, so I can just make it more difficult.
And happy 4th bday! How exciting!
The snow is no problem, your dog is too young now anyway ;) I would continue training like you do, maybe add some nose-work, searching really get's them tired. If your dog is big, it is better to wait even longer, untill the muscels are strong enough to support the bones.
Ivil had a nice birthday, long walk in the woods, nice chew bone, and some apport practice :dssmile:
Chillyroses
Just Whelped

Post by Chillyroses »

So I finally found his folks, and papa weighs in at 90 lbs! He's got much more growing to do. I was hoping for a petite guy like the border collies, but that's not what I'm getting I guess. That's what you get from rescuing pups but I still love him.
Jessie & Diesel