Petition Signing?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Petition Signing?

Post by Raven »

It strikes me that this may not be encouraged within this forum, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

There was a pitbull, Apollo, in my area who was found tied to a picnic table in 20-below weather last week. Though abuse/neglect is not uncommon, this particular story happened to spark an outrage over our existing animal cruelty laws in New York. A petition is being e-signed to pump up the consequences, including but not limited to making first/second degree cruelty misdemeanors felonies and having a registery within the shelter systems to prevent (or help prevent) said people from adopting.

Is it outside the confines of this forum to ask people to review such cases (via links) and make their own decision to sign or not, and/or present such cases for review to friends/family who live in the effected area? (People have signed this petition from other states; whether or not their signatures will be accepted...? The goal is 10,000.)

P.S.: I don't seek out petitions to sign.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Petition Signing?

Post by leih merigian »

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I read a while back, perhaps on Snopes, that these e-petitions are worthless...the only thing they do is let the signers feel good that they're doing something (easy).
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Aaah. It lacks the necessary handwritten signature.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Raven wrote:Aaah. It lacks the necessary handwritten signature.

Also, call me cynical, but there are those who generate various kinds of marketing email lists this way, I'm sure. I am also sure there are many who do these internet petitions who have above-board intentions...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...