Is a DS right for our family?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
cavbailey
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: considering a DS

Is a DS right for our family?

Post by cavbailey »

My husband would like to get a DS puppy. We have 2 kids - ages 5 and 1 and frequently have other children in our home/yard to play. The DS would be a family pet - not a working dog. We could give him two walks a day plus quick trips out in between to do his business. He'd get longer walks and time at the dog park on weekends. We need a dog that is good with children and strangers and would be satisfied with the exercise we can provide. Is a DS right for our family?
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Is a DS right for our family?

Post by leih merigian »

Others may have different opinions, but I doubt a DS would be a good fit for you at this time in your young family's life. I think they need way more exercise and mental stimulation than you are expecting to provide.

Keep in mind, too, that no young puppy is going to be good with children! They're maniacs. I assume your husband works, so you are going to be providing the bulk of the management and training and such during the day time, as you also have to manage and care for your very young children.

Have you considered adopting an older pup, say around 18 months old, from a breed rescue? You'll be able to bypass the very young baby puppy stuff, and in dealing with a breed rescue, will be able to find a young dog that is well matched to your family and what you can provide for it. It's even possible that there would be a DS in rescue that would be a good fit...as an older dog, it's activity needs would be known, as well as it's temperament, behavior around children, etc.

Curious...why is your husband interested in a DS?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I agree with Leih. Most DS's I know need far more exercise/mental stimulation then 2x walks a day. My DS is good with children and strangers, but would go crazy destroying the house with only 2 walks per day. I think Koenig is also in the minority in how accepting he is of strangers, he's a very gregarious dog.

I have 2 kids, 3, and 6. My DS happens to be fantastic with them. I didn't have him as a pup though, I rescued him at a year old, so he was past many of the maniac behaviors (NOT ALL THOUGH!!) :)

To echo Leih, Why a DS?
Kelly
Koenig
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ill have to "third" the vote. My 4.5 month old is great with my kids 5 and 6 but the only reason I got a Ds pup was I have alot of background training with DS and Mals and I knew she could get the phyical and mental stimulation that DS's need. Not that its easy having two young kids and a pup. I would think about a breed that is a bit more sedentary, a basset maybe? ( i grew up with them so I have soft spots for them, plus my parents still have one)
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

I would tend to agree with others, that your lifestyle is not prepared for the "mental control" and training required of a working dog ... but having said that, an adult DS (rescue) could be a good fit - adults are more likely to be calm and not so mouthy, and can be thoroughly tested to see if it is a good fit for your situation. Many of the DS in rescue are there because they do not have enough drive to work, but this can make them more appropriate as pets.
Please check out the NADSR site for listing of dogs and contact info!
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Welcome cavbaily.
Would you mind posting a short intro about yourself in the introduction section? Nothing outrageous, just a name and maybe a location so we know who we are talking to. You can also create a nifty signature there. :cool:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image