" a what ?"

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

" a what ?"

Post by Dutchringgirl »

just though you guys would get a chuckle out of this......

I was at my neighbors for a little gathering of friends, I am new in the area so I didnt know anyone. I was telling a few women how my daughter likes to dress up the dogs... so of course comes the next question..

"Oh, what kind of dogs do you have?"

" Dutch Shepherds"

"oh. arent they really big?"

" No, they are medium ( I am putting my hand down to the floor)... then it dawns on me.... " No, not German Shepherds."

" Oh, a what kind of shepherd? Australian?"

" Dutch"

" So, are your kids happy in the school?"
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: " a what ?"

Post by vneerland »

:lol: Very recognizable.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

even in Holland that is pretty common :dssmile:
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

ROFL....
Kelly
Koenig
RosieCoppolo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Names Rosie, 19 from london. Just recently got a female puppy DS and was looking for other people who are DS owners as they are very far and few between in the UK (Everyone seems to think she is a GS cross and wont believe me when I say DS because they have never heard of the breed before lol)

Post by RosieCoppolo »

I get this all the time, people always think she's a cross breed, this is how the conversation normally goes...

"aww she's lovely, what breed is she?"

"Dutch Shepherd"

"No, She's a German shepherd cross isn't she?"

"...No! She's a DUTCH shepherd!"

"Oh"

Then they usually walk off with a look on their face that seems to say "why is she making up a breed to try and make her mutt look posh?"

It really annoys me haha not that I would care if I had a cross breed because both of my other dogs are, its just don't think you know more about MY dog than ME lol :P
Rose
turgi11
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: i have a dutch shpherd

Post by turgi11 »

lol. in Israel they are even more rare. they are maybe even few of them all over. but you know what? that the beauty in this
Gal Torgeman

Image Mia
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Rosie - Very funny, I get that all of the time too, Ive had pure breds and muts and love them all but I do think we know when we have a pure bred and i do get "that look " too. I respect it most when someone just admits they dont know, Its cool, then I get the pleasure of telling them about this cool breed.
ImageImage
jasperswoman
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Krista Averyt Anderson .I am a fairly new Dutchy owner , with a very cool , awesome dog , whom I love to death , Jasper Van Neerland . A dog so cool he has his own Facebook page .

Post by jasperswoman »

Jasper has been called everything from a whippet/greyhound to a German shepherd /coonhound cross .Where that one came from I'll never know .
My favorite dialouge is , "What kind of dog is he ?" "Dutch Shepherd " . " Cool , so he speaks Dutch instead of German ? " "No , he doesn't speak at all , he's a dog ! " (true story ). :lol: :lol: :lol:
( Unless , you count the time he told me "EFF YOU ! , but that's another story .
Krista Averyt -Anderson
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

jasperswoman wrote: My favorite dialouge is , "What kind of dog is he ?" "Dutch Shepherd " . " Cool , so he speaks Dutch instead of German ? " "No , he doesn't speak at all , he's a dog ! " (true story ). :lol: :lol: :lol:
( Unless , you count the time he told me "EFF YOU ! , but that's another story .
:lol: I wish I had seen the look on that person's face :mrgreen:

I have the worst ever, I train in Germany, with Dutch shepherds.... on a Rottweiler dog-club :roll: Sttill folllowing?
Anyway, sometimes we have new members, and everytime I enter the field I hear them say to the helper/club-owner "Wow, what kind of dog is that?" First time I heard him say "That's a Belgian shepherd" I turned around, It's a DUTCH shepherd :evil: "ow, ja, ja, a Dutch shepherd"
This happened a few times...
Now he tell's them "yeah, that is a Belgia...no...(starts to sweat) mali... no (sees me looking pissed) no, no, that's a Dutch...uh... Marjolein, what was your dog again?" They never remember!! Arg! All they remember is me getting pissed when they say it wrong..well, just say it right :dsrazz:
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

So I've had a few people - usually cops or those who hang out with cops - tell me that Dutch Shepherds are GSD x Malinois mixes. I know they mix working dogs in Europe for KNPV but where are they getting this from?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Ignorance. Testosterone. Knowing everything.

lol

;)
Kelly
Koenig
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

One of the people was breeding Dutch Shepherds. :(
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

k9katet wrote:One of the people was breeding Dutch Shepherds. :(
stop him :dsshock: What a stooopid, he should know better :roll:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

k9katet wrote:So I've had a few people - usually cops or those who hang out with cops - tell me that Dutch Shepherds are GSD x Malinois mixes. I know they mix working dogs in Europe for KNPV but where are they getting this from?
Dumb dumb, dumb. If they knew the slightest little iota about genetics (I know, they are cops, so that's not likely) they would know that you cannot cross an 'Ay' dominant yellow to an 'at' black and tan and get a brindle. Neither Malinois nor GSD can hide brindle, so it is just totally absolutely and 100% impossible. :roll: It takes a brindle to get a brindle. (99% of the times anyway, I will not bore anyone with the 1%)
There are some sport dog trainers out there, though, who claim that a DS is nothing but a brindle malinois. And the AKC's recognition of brindle as a possible color pattern for the Malinois is not helping dispell the nonsense either. Sigh....
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:There are some sport dog trainers out there, though, who claim that a DS is nothing but a brindle malinois. And the AKC's recognition of brindle as a possible color pattern for the Malinois is not helping dispell the nonsense either. Sigh....
This makes me very nuts...especially the sport dog trainers who should know better :dsangry:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

jasperswoman wrote:Jasper has been called everything from a whippet/greyhound to a German shepherd /coonhound cross .Where that one came from I'll never know .
My favorite dialouge is , "What kind of dog is he ?" "Dutch Shepherd " . " Cool , so he speaks Dutch instead of German ? " "No , he doesn't speak at all , he's a dog ! " (true story ). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strange but I too had someone ask me something similar -- "So your dog knows Dutch? So you speak Dutch too? :dsroll: " :rocklicker:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I once argued with a guy (his dad breeds mals) that my dog was NOT a brindle Mal... It was like talking to a fence post..

Then there was one day Gwen was running around the yard (we don't have a fence) and some guy walks by and says "ohhh what it that? a dog with tiger fur!!"
:dsroll:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ive had Thalie called a wolf before. She went into my dads neighbors yard ( they know us and know I have a dog) she went up on their deck, they were having a BBQ, the older boys have never seen her before and were up against the wall, Mike, our friend and the boys father, came out and laughed at them, they thought she was a wolf.

Thalie is trained in French so I always have people asking me if I speak French too, I do, Not very well anymore, just enought to talk to the judge LOL,
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Ive had Thalie called a wolf before. She went into my dads neighbors yard ( they know us and know I have a dog) she went up on their deck, they were having a BBQ, the older boys have never seen her before and were up against the wall, Mike, our friend and the boys father, came out and laughed at them, they thought she was a wolf.

Yup. :oops: When called about a sighting of a missing DS, you KNOW that they did indeed see the right dog, when they mention that they (first) thought that it was a black wolf. That runs at 80+ % Some kids in school had seen it, and naturaly told their parents about it, who of course did not believe any of it. Until one kid spotted the 'missing' poster and told the parent "see? That's the one!" and the parent finally put the pieces together and called about the missing dog. There is no telling how many kids have reported the wolf to their parents, and were never believed. :o
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

We finally have a working dog club in my area--not that I can take my dog, but was interested in going out and talked to the 'founder,' who only wants to concentrate on French ring. Anyway, he said that he had a mal..."which is the same thing as a Dutch." Alrighty, then.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~