I Need a Dutch Name that Start with a "G"

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

I Need a Dutch Name that Start with a "G"

Post by Aztechalo »

I'm trying to name this year's foal and I'm just not coming up with anything good. The Dutch Warmbloods have a naming protocol and this year, the first letter has to start with a "G." The mother is imported, her name is Utrecht, so I wanted to stick with a name that is actually Dutch (and that I can pronounce.) The baby is due in a week so we don't know if it's a boy or a girl, though we're hoping for a girl.

And if she horse makes it to the Olympics, I will promise to credit you as the namesake, in interviews :mrgreen:
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: I Need a Dutch Name that Start with a "G"

Post by icvanstra »

Groningen - city/province
Gouda - City/cheese ... but you have to learn how to pronounce it correctly

Gaanderen - Gaarkeuken - Gaast - Gaastmeer - Galder - Gameren - Gammelke - Gapinge - Garderen - Garijp - Garmerwolde - Garminge - Garnwerd - Garrelsweer - Garsthuizen - Gassel - Gasselte - Gasselterboerveen - Gasselternijveen - Gasselter-Nijveensche-mond - Gastel - Gasteren - Gasthuis - Gauw - Geelbroek - Geersbroek - Geersdijk - Geertruidenberg - Geervliet - Gees - Geesbrug - Geesteren (Gelderland) - Geesteren (Overijssel) - Geeuwenbrug gem. Diever - Geffen - Gelderingen - Geldermalsen - Gelderswoude - Geldrop - Geleen - Gellicum - Gelselaar - Gemert - Gemonde - Genderen - Gendringen - Gendt - Genemuiden - Gennep - Genum - Gerkesklooster - Gerner - Gersloot - Gerwen - Geulhem - Geulle - Geverik - Geysteren - Giekerk - Giesbeek - Giessen - Giessenburg - Giessendam - Gieten - Gieterveen - Giethmen - Giethoorn - Gilze - Glane - Glanerbrug - Glimmen - Godlinze - Goedereede - Goënga - Goëngahuizen - Goes - Goingarijp - Goirle - Goor - Gorinchem - Gorredijk - Gorssel - Gortel - Gouda - Goudriaan - Goudswaard - Gouerak - Goutum - Graauw - Graetheide - Grafhorst - Graft - Gramsbergen - Grashoek - Grathem - Grave - Greffelkamp - Greonterp - Grevenbicht - Griendtsveen - Grijpskerk - Grijpskerke - Groede - Groenekan - Groeningen - Groenlo - Groenveld - Groesbeek - Groessen - Groet - Groetpolder - Grolloo - Groningen - Gronsveld - Groot Dochteren - Groot Genhout - Groot-Ammers - Groote Keeten - Grootebroek - Grootegast - Grootschermer - Grosthuizen - Grouw - Grubbenvorst - Gulpen - Guttecoven
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Post some pictures of the foal !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Pictures of Dutch WB's are just as welcome as pics of Brindled dogs. :)

Isn't is the Dutch WB that has some lines that are Brindle?
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Eric, those are all city names :lol:
dutch girl names:

Grietje, Greet, Gerda, Grada,

male:

Gerard, Gert, Geert, Gerrit (I like this one), Gert-Jan

All pronouced as if chocking on some hair :dssmile: GGG-GGG-GGG
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:Eric, those are all city names :lol:

Yes, I think he knows that. :roll: And I feel pretty sure that he suggested those because of a dam named "Utrecht"
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
bayca
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Jan,lives in holland with 3 DS

Post by bayca »

vneerland wrote:

Yes, I think he knows that. :roll: And I feel pretty sure that he suggested those because of a dam named "Utrecht"
Yeah the colour of her hair :girl:
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Yep - all G city names because of Utrecht.

How about Gerricke ... although I may have the spelling wrong ... every one called her Gerry
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I had Gaia, and now have Geisha. I had a hard time with G names, but now I love those two!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

I had a Gina, which is not very Dutch, and a Gea (pronounce Geja). Boys were Gino (Itialian) and Gero (German)
Marjoleins name suggestions are very Dutch. Grietje (prounounce Grie -as in grief- tjuh) means girly.
turnnburn52984 wrote:Pictures of Dutch WB's are just as welcome as pics of Brindled dogs. :)
Isn't is the Dutch WB that has some lines that are Brindle?
No I dont think so. Some sparse horse in Autralia, all related to one sire (cath a bird, I believe) and some QH's, but no KWPN'ers that I know of.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Maybe it was a book then.

Catch a Bird lines do have brindle crop up.
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

bayca wrote:
vneerland wrote:

Yeah the colour of her hair :girl:
Go paint your new home :dsrazz:

I got that, but it was Eric's idea to come up with city names, not Aztechalo's. So I figured you needed normal names :roll:
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Post by Aztechalo »

Thank you all for your name suggestions... Sadly, the filly was born as a red sack birth and died shortly after she was born. (Placenta separated from the uterus long before the foal arrived.) She was heart breakingly perfect; exactly what we were breeding for. Her grave will be marked as Galaxy, not Dutch but appropriate.
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

Ahh so heart breaking and sad. Galaxy is very fitting. I think.
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

ahh, I'm sorry :(
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry...

I love Galaxy, tho.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

I am sorry. What a waste :(