Training Logs?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Training Logs?

Post by leih merigian »

So, do you keep a training log? If yes, what do you track and how do you use it over time?

I keep a general log (of everything :mrgreen: ), which also includes my training stuff, but as I track less general things for my puppy, I am thinking more about the training log part.

I didn't really use a training log for my GSD, and we trained in a bunch of different things. But, I'm wondering if I may want to use one for Geyser (always open to learning to do something new...).

Right now, I track what we've done, and how it's evolving (for example, if I add distance or time or another element to a particular behavior). But, with rare exception, I don't go back and review these notes.

I think I've read someplace that some people use their training logs to note what they're going to do next time...

So, what do you guys do?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Training Logs?

Post by Raven »

Most commonly, I use it to chart out the next move. Kind of like thinking it out on paper.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

One of the Schutzhund clubs that I trained with was meticulous about keeping training logs. I LOVE the idea and need to be less lazy. The main objective with them was to track details about previous sessions and create a game plan for the next one. But one big point that was often discussed was that different handlers had different levels of anxiety breaking away from the written plan. If the dog progressed very quickly on certain objectives in one training session, it was always a battle whether they stuck to the "plan" or just worked the dog to the best of their ability.

Another advantage that I see - being able to reflect on it with later dogs. I am ALWAYS comparing where "this" dog is compared to where I think "that" dog was at a particular age. I think it would be awesome to go back and actually see the reality. Willow is 10 now and so when I think about our past together, I know I forget the trials and tribulations that occurred along the way.

Great topic Leih!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Leigh, in years past when I first started training with my GSD, I attempted to keep a training log, but we did, as you and your GSD, participate in a variety of dog sports. What I found useful was to have a 'goals page' in the very front of the log book with a very generous time line; each item numbered in sequence. That way I could always keep a focus on our next step no matter how long or short the time table was to achieve each step. Then I kept a daily shorthand of what we did in calendar form. If I felt we needed more emphasis on one particular item, then I would put a star by it; if I felt we accomplished that item, then I would check mark it. That way I could concentrate more on the starred items and not waste time on those things we already knew, replacing each checked item with something new. I always felt I was progressing further and not stagnating on the same step. I do something similar when I train OB with other people's dogs. That way they can see their dog's weak and strong points and know what to expect. Just like people, every dog is different. We all have our off days as well as the productive days.

I do know that when I was training in S&R (HR) that consistent training records are vital especially if you are ever in a real life scenario and have to justify legally every account.

These days, I am pretty lazy with my own dogs. We mostly have fun other than useful training herding on my farm. If they get the job done and make my work easier, no records are necessary.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

On drug work, I most certainly keep track, but that is in part also because it is needed if it is going to stand up in court. The rest though, does not get documented. I have a good memory and know what happened last time with whom and where we are at in our training. I do not like to compare. It can only frustrate me, or give a (false) sense of security. :lol:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Thanks for the replies.

You guys would all probably laugh at me, if you saw my puppy logs<g>. I can tell you every single time she's peed or pooped since she came here 7 months ago (just stopped tracking the peeing about a week or so ago). What she's had to eat for each meal, when; crating times, training, and everything else I wanted to keep track of. It enabled me to figure out she can't eat beef, tho, when she had some vomiting episodes. I was able to go back and check for correlations, and found out that every time she ate beef after a certain age, she'd vomit. Since I rotate her food daily, this isn't something that just popped out at me without the history to be able to check.

I can tell she's getting older, tho, since the daily entries are getting shorter and shorter; I"m tracking less things. But, I think I will keep up with some of it, especially regarding training.

Denise, I like your idea of having an overall gameplan/goals list. That comes in very handy with stuff like agility, where you have so many different things to work on and keep track of.

Me? I can't help but to compare<g>...of course, I'm only comparing two dogs, not tons of them, but I find it very interesting to compare what Geyser is doing to what my GSD was doing at the same age. They are so different, even tho they are/were both very high drive and intense dogs. I find it very interesting to see how that drive/energy and intensity manifests itself differently in the two different creatures.

Thanks for your input!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I do not keep a training log, it's all in my head... Only in tracking I used to write some things down because I did tend to forget some in that area. Now that I've been doing it a bit longer I don't write it down anymore. I did use to make some video's in order to see myself at work. That's very confrontational, yet helpfull. Now that my camera has been vroken for a while I could not do that anymore...
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:On drug work, I most certainly keep track...
So, what, exactly, do you track?

Do you find any of it helpful in your training, or is it all just because it's requried and helpful regarding liability and legal matters?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

leih merigian wrote:
vneerland wrote:On drug work, I most certainly keep track...
So, what, exactly, do you track?

Do you find any of it helpful in your training, or is it all just because it's requried and helpful regarding liability and legal matters?
For us, our training records reflect the placement of hides, the type and amount of odor and the indication that it received. Through accurate and consistent record keeping, you can justify an indication of a vehicle or residence and the fact that the indication resulted in probable cause to search the location. If someone chooses to sue saying that you did not have probable cause or reason to search, you can reflect to those training records for evidence. Its pretty common unfortunately.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:mrgreen: And it also helps if you forgot where your training aids were placed, and your dog did not locate it.
(Just kidding)

@ Marjolein. You can identify area's that the dog might need more attention in. If you place a deep hide, of a specific odor, and the dog always has trouble with it, you would know to work on that specifically. If you don't keep track, it is harder to identify the reason for the possible problems a dog might have. Unless it is one specific odor that always gets skipped, you might run into a pattern, where for example a dog always hesitates on a certain odor in a certain setting, but not in other settings with that same odor, or other odors in the same setting.
Clear as mud, right? :wink:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

uhm, I didn't ask anything? :dsroll: But...thanx, I guess :dssmile:
Do I always ask the questions? :dsdoubt:
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Thanks, Christie and Judith.

This helps a lot, especially when I think about our nosework training, which is based on what you guys do for real<g>.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser