Launguages for training

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Launguages for training

Post by Chillyroses »

So, Dee is doing well with training and I'm pondering changing his command language to get more exact response. I did this with my border collie and she loved it. Hubby says that it created a bond between the bc and I that encouraged her separation issues. I think it was her past, she is a rescue too. I have very head strong, thinking breeds and they know they have to listen to me, but they are pretty good at ignoring everyone else. I don't think how the commands are presented are relevant to separation issues... But maybe I'm wrong? I personally prefer that my dogs won't take commands from just anyone.
Jessie & Diesel
Also other rescues who moved in and never left.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Launguages for training

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i dont think the language as much to do with her response as your body language and the training itself.. The better the reward the better the execution. Thalie' comands for her Ring is in french, but around the house its the usuall "come here". In the Ring she is hyped up and cant wait for her tug so she will sit in a split second, where at home its more relaxed, if I was relaxed in the ring Thalie would just lazily go into a sit and it wouldnt matter what word I used. Thalie wont listen to any one else but me, well,, she will listen to my dad though, but any one else can give her the correct comand and she wont listen, just me. that really pisses off my other animal friend LOL. Not sure about the separation issues, Thalie always comes with me, but she is content to stay home when she cant and Im her pack leader, so maybe someone else can shed some light onto the separation issue.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Dutch for the Dutch dog
German for the mutt
English for around the house and when out with both dogs

English is primarily used for casual environments and if I'm not getting the response I want Dutch is normally what spills out of my mouth. Whistles and body language are used also...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Chillyroses wrote:So, Dee is doing well with training and I'm pondering changing his command language to get more exact response. I did this with my border collie and she loved it. Hubby says that it created a bond between the bc and I that encouraged her separation issues. I think it was her past, she is a rescue too. I have very head strong, thinking breeds and they know they have to listen to me, but they are pretty good at ignoring everyone else. I don't think how the commands are presented are relevant to separation issues... But maybe I'm wrong? I personally prefer that my dogs won't take commands from just anyone.
I find it very hard to credit that separation anxiety can be influenced by the specific language of commands. I agree with you that for your BC, it's her past, and her temperament/nature. So much of that is hardwired. Also, we teach them to be able to be alone with themselves, knowing that we'll always return, by gradually increasing the time they're alone in a crate.

Just my two cents :eek:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Chillyroses
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We foster and train rescue dogs, but a few have decided to stay with us forever. Bo- 9 yo Newfie mix, Emma- 10 yo lab/husky, Kasi- 11 yo border collie and the newest addition, Diesel- born 3/11/10 rescued aug 2010. Poor boy was the unfournatute child of divorce but now my wonderful youngest furkid! I thought having a border collie readied me for another working breed, but this dutchie is keeping me on my toes!

Post by Chillyroses »

I've changed him to Klingon, he took real quick. Since it's only for formal commands I don't think it's going to be a big deal.
Jessie & Diesel
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

You're telling me you're fluent enough in Klingon to use it for commands? Wow...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Klingon is not that tough... :lol:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

icvanstra wrote:Klingon is not that tough... :lol:
Beam me up, Scotty :yernuts:
Chillyroses
Just Whelped

Post by Chillyroses »

Klingon is fairly easy and tons if fun. I did it to the bc mostly as a joke because hubby is anti Trekkie. There is a online English to Klingon translater somewhere...
Jessie & Diesel
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Here is the one for Mr. Klingon

Ask any native dutch speaker ... Klingon has to be easier than Dutch! :dsrazz:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Chillyroses wrote:Klingon is fairly easy and tons if fun. I did it to the bc mostly as a joke because hubby is anti Trekkie. There is a online English to Klingon translater somewhere...
Thats excellent !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

As far as the dog is concerned, the commands can be names of vegetables. There really is nothing tone gained by changing the command words unless you are planning to compete in a sport that requires specific words/language to be used.
If your goal is to get a better response simply change your criteria and demand more from your dog. Don't confuse her and start from scratch. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water :)
What in particular do you wish to improve?
Choochi
Chillyroses
Just Whelped

Post by Chillyroses »

My goal is a exact and correct response, with the ability to still babble at him in English.
Where my husband objects is... Exacting responses are not generally accepted from anyone but myself. The dog listens to me, occasionally choosing to ignore him, creating the Illusion that it only listens to me, loves me. I've pondered this and it's no issue at all. If he wants to be listen to, he needs to be in command. He doesn't train, the dogs are his friends. His two (vs my two) are great, cuddly, mellow, low energy dogs content to watch tv for hours and Don't even get a walk unless mine want company. I've decided his concerns of the bonding of my dogs and me is silly and self inflicted on his part. He should hush or join in.
Jessie & Diesel
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I see you have the same arrangement that my husband I have with our dogs.... Gwen sort of listens to him when she "feels like it." Same with our Dane Izar. I wear the pants as far as the dogs are concerned and if my husband who sometimes complains about it wants it to be "fixed" then he needs to work with the dogs and not be their best buddy. Things are copacetic everyone is happy. My hubby doesn't want to be the bad guy (but, I do believe he will be a bit less lax with our next Dane ;-) A 120lb lap dog can be a bit ......heavy. :dswink"
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Yupp.. my bf is convinced the dogs hate him because they don't listen to a word he says, while he never reinforces what he asks of them, never rewards them, hardly spends any time interacting with them other then to tell them to get out of the way, he gives them commands they have never heard or does the stupid classic "sit down!" :roll: I can just see the "well which one is it" in my dog's eyes.

I don't think you need a language change. Your man can still babble to them in English, if he wants the dogs to listen, he's the one that will need a lesson not the dogs. I don't think his babbling is going to effect how the dogs respond to you even if you're using the same commands. I swear, it's harder to get my bf to say the correct command for what he wants the dog to do then it is to teach the dog. How you carry yourself, how you treat the dog, and how you respond to the dog's actions will have far more effect then adding a second set of commands. Plus when I say "sit" to my dog, it means sit now regardless of if we're on the field or at home watching tv. I don't appreciate being blown off just because I'm in my flip flops. I can babble to my dog and use the word "sit" in a sentence, but when I give the command "sit" it is crystal clear I just gave him a command and I expect the action to be done.
Choochi