Ears!!!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
manavaloj
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 26 graphic designer, my husband and I adopted a rescued dog, who we named Maya; turns out Maya is a Dutch shepherd; we are new with this breed, we have a miniature schnauzer that lives with my mom, and a boxer mix that lives with his mom, all of them are our baby girls and we love them

Ears!!!

Post by manavaloj »

Hi, my name is Mana and I'm new here; I have a baby girl Dutch shepherd (mix) of almost 6 months, she up until recently had both of her ears standing up, but the last two days I've notice that her left ear is starting to fall down just a tiny bit from the point, inner wise.
I'm worried that it would not stand back up again, is this normal should I be worried?! I'll try to upload a photo (I'm on my phone)
Hopefully someone can answer me I'm really worried
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Ears!!!

Post by Mark77 »

Don't mess with her ears. My female Mal had an ear like that. I basically grabbed her ear to keep her from falling off the couch as a young pup and that ear didn't stand right till she was nearly a year old. Now barring any incidence to the ear itself then you might not have a Dutchie or your dog could be mixed. Nearly all my dog's Riddick's pups had ears standing at 5 weeks old and certainly by two months. Which is pretty much what I've seen with most other Dutch puppy ears.
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

re mark, theyve already said their dog is a mix, but i wouldnt go so far as saying non standing ears mean your dog isnt a dutch shepherd. demons ears didnt fully stand until he was a year old and id put that down purely to the giant size of his wanna be rabbit ones (but hes an unusually big dog, so has the ears to match) and theres no question as to him being a full dutch shepherd.

its common for ears to go up and down throughout puppyhood, so at six months id just say leave them to do what they will and your dogs ears will be how theyre supposed to (standing or no).
the only thing i would say is check the size of your dogs bed and see if theyre being squished down flat by the sides or blankets while your dog sleeps, and if they are maybe get a larger size bed until the cartilge is done developing.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
lazarusdmx
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have just gotten a 3 months old DS pup female, named Zia. We live in Maryland and are excited about our future together growing and training. She's a handful!

Post by lazarusdmx »

My dutch girl is about 9 mos old and cycles through ear configuraitons. When she's excited / focused (like at the dog park chasing balls) both are standing at full attention. Half the time at home its one up, one folded, and then at others she's got em both folded. She's a 68 lb female, so on the larger side of the spectrum and has large bat ears. Is it reasonable to expect that at some point they'll stay up most of the time?