Oh, No rawhide.... ever!!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Oh, No rawhide.... ever!!

Post by Joxgirl »

So what long chewing treats do you give to your dogs? Do you give beef bones or ox bones?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Oh, No rawhide.... ever!!

Post by TimL_168 »

Most people will tell ya not to use any weight bearing bones. That means no leg bones. Ribs would be ok. You'll need to watch the dog closely as he chews, making sure he's not swallowing large chunks. Most importantly, stay away from cooked bones. They break much differently than raw.
I give bully sticks, an occasional nylabone(watch to make sure the dog spits out the bits& pieces), and just plain old sticks. Watch your dog. No matter what, that's what's most important.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I get my bones from Elk usa
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I get big raw marrow bones and deer antlers
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

Well, I let mine chew on rawhide. I've had other dogs and they chewed and ate rawhides for many years. I've never had a problem. Maybe we've just been lucky.

The problem I have with large, hard bones is the dog can wear down their teeth on them.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Patrick wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:33 am Well, I let mine chew on rawhide. I've had other dogs and they chewed and ate rawhides for many years. I've never had a problem. Maybe we've just been lucky.

The problem I have with large, hard bones is the dog can wear down their teeth on them.
Rawhides were all my bassets chewed growing up and , no , no problems, but Now that I am more informed , I will not take the chance. If I know something could hurt my dog, I cannot , as a responsible animal owner, let my animal have it.
ImageImage
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

it didnt happen to demon but i thought id mention, 3 ish days ago my alaskan malamute kodas teeth were getting a bit yellow tinged so i got a bulk box of large size pedigree dentastix like i usually would. they both love them and they do a great job of cleaning teeth.
so i gave koda hers, she tried to eat it fast because she didnt want to share with demon, and it got lodged sideways in the back of her throat. so i had my dog panicking, clawing at her face and gums attempting to dislodge it but unable to reach and only succeeding in ripping apart the roof of her mouth and gums with her claws. luckily i got her to calm and could stick my whole hand in her mouth with no struggle (it was lodged in there hard, i had to give it a few tugs before it would come loose). we were both splattered in koda blood after but shes doing just fine now.

just goes to show you should always supervise your dogs with chews and treats, even if its something they logically should be able to handle just fine because dogs can be idiots sometimes just like us. also that its extremely important to have you dog trained to be tolerant of you messing with their face/mouth/teeth/gums in case of such an emergency.

yesterday also, she went to bark at demon with a mouth full of kibble and - low and behold - inhaled it all and started choking intensely for a full minute, also a good idea to know the dog heimlich maneuver as thats the only thing that got her to cough up the food. she had a very slightly bloody nose for a minute presumably from all the coughing, but again was fine.
you can never be too prepared.
Attachments
heimlich-dog.png
heimlich-dog.png (89.61 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

those teeth cleaning stick are another product I stay away from too. all of these things scare me. I don't allow them in my house.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 pm those teeth cleaning stick are another product I stay away from too. all of these things scare me. I don't allow them in my house.
I've been contemplating trying those. Honestly...I'm happy just letting my dogs gnaw on a stick. They're both responsible/safe with them. That being said, I don't leave En unsupervised. She INHALES her food frequently and will spend a good bit hacking and coughing. Not taking the chance of leaving her unsupervised.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont mind sticks, they are long and when they have a piece they spit them out, the other chewy things that are flavored or what ever and the dog wants to eat it. that bothers me. Mine dont seem to chew anything when I am no out with them, they will just sniff around. Its the basset I have to worry about, everything is a chew toy. I have slow feeder bowls for the basset and Sadie. I am always around too when they eat.
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I give them rawhide dental chews and the wood chew toy sticks.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

My husband told me he looked up leg bones and found that there is most often bad bacteria in them. I didn't even think about the teeth wearing down.
Thank you for the dog Heimlich maneuver. I am going to print it out with CPR so we can learn it.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am My husband told me he looked up leg bones and found that there is most often bad bacteria in them. I didn't even think about the teeth wearing down.
Thank you for the dog Heimlich maneuver. I am going to print it out with CPR so we can learn it.
what kind of bacteria is he referring to. Dogs stomachs are so acidic that they can kill many forms of bacteria. they eat other animals poop. I have antlers for my girls
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I thought the same thing. I was thinking he must have been looking at info for smoked bones.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I will ask him where he got the information.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG