New puppy- adjusting to new home

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Re: New puppy- adjusting to new home

Post by zxs107020 »

I plan to train her myself for at least the first 6 months to a year. So far, she has been easily trained. She is so smart that she has already picked up on her name, "look", "here", "come", "crate", and "sit". She is also doing good with walking on my left side, by my knee, while on leash. I havent added "heel" yet. Just marking and treating every few steps that she stays by my side. She sits reliably inside/outside/public. She knows "down" also, but for some reason she is always slow to obey on that one- not sure why but we will be working on that as well. I may look into a trainer for more advanced training once she gets a bit older if necessary. One thing I would be really interested in using a trainer for is to do a little bit of personal protection training- I live in Dallas though and Im not really sure where to find the right trainer and also where to find activities for Cleo to get started in such as Schuzhund, agility, etc...

So today, we had our first run-in with the vacuum cleaner, which was a good experience. She barked a couple times and ran back and forth. I gave her a bully stick and put her in her crate while vacuuming my room and she was completely silent and displayed no fear (no continued barking either).
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

check this out for Ring sport
http://www.ringsport.org/

You don't have to compete, but its fun. but the training is protection training. I did it with Thalie and my Malinois. I modified Thalies training for a stroller and some other kid type protection, and I had to use it a few times. But this type of dog by just the look will ward off some.

You can tell them you don't want to compte ( unless you do) and what you are planning to do with the dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

What a beauty!!
Where did you get her teddy bear from?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Joxgirl wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm What a beauty!!
Where did you get her teddy bear from?
I got it off Amazon. It is a Kong product.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Ok. I will look for it. Thank you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG