Food

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Food

Post by zxs107020 »

I am wondering, what kinds of foods do people here give to their dogs?

In an ideal world, I would feed my puppy a 100% all-natural, raw diet. Unfortunately, time and money are constraining factors.

Do people here feed their dogs freeze-dried food? Is this better than feeding a combination of kibble/canned food? Can anyone make some recommendations as to good brands of freeze-dried food?

Is feeding the dog a diet of freeze-dried/raw food actually worth the extra hassle? Does it make a difference in the dogs health/size/appearance?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Food

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I did raw for a bit but just didn't have the time. Ill feed raw here and there but I feed acaina or Orajen.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Raw is doable and doesn't take a ton of time. I have been feeding raw for 10+ years for all my dogs. I found a meat supplier that I am very happy with. It is a ground beef mixture with liver and bone already added. They are a few hours away from me so I buy 500 pounds at a time. I make a fruit and vegetable mix to add to the meat. When I make the fruit/veg mix I grind enough for 5-6 weeks and freeze in batches. That takes me about 1.5 hours. Then I thaw some meat and a batch of fruit/veg and mix it together to last just under a week at a time.
Patty and Ice
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ICE wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm Raw is doable and doesn't take a ton of time. I have been feeding raw for 10+ years for all my dogs. I found a meat supplier that I am very happy with. It is a ground beef mixture with liver and bone already added. They are a few hours away from me so I buy 500 pounds at a time. I make a fruit and vegetable mix to add to the meat. When I make the fruit/veg mix I grind enough for 5-6 weeks and freeze in batches. That takes me about 1.5 hours. Then I thaw some meat and a batch of fruit/veg and mix it together to last just under a week at a time.
that sounds like a great mix, how did you find that? what do I look for to see if something like that is close to me?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

I learned thru friends and books. I was using a different meat supplier and found this one through many Google searches.. LOL I have tweaked my fruit and vegetable recipe over the years and would be glad to share it with anyone who is interested.
Patty and Ice