Tugs

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Tugs

Post by zxs107020 »

Hi everyone,

So- I have been trying to get my new 12-week old puppy to play tug-of-war with me and a 10' tug.. However, she wont bite it. She tries to chew it occasionally but she wont bite or try to pull it away...any suggestions on how I can get her to bite and hang on? Thanks
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Tugs

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Wait till she's finished teething in a few months
KristinC
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have just got my first Dutch Shepherd puppy

Post by KristinC »

I'm a complete newbie here though I will share my experience so far. My 14 week old puppy Z loves his plaited sheepskin tug, it's nice and soft and he can get a good grip on it. I try to make sure Z is full of energy before we play, usually fresh up from a nap. He gets excited when I would drag the tug on the ground to encourage him to move after it and want to get it. I used to let him "win" the tug as soon as he would grab it and now I am making him work a little harder for his "win". I also bought him a French linen puppy tug though I found that way too hard and it is not easy for him to grab it so I'll bring that out once he has teethed and in the mean time try to spend time bending it each day to soften it up a bit.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there also must be a drive for the tug, that is the prey drive.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Use something softer. When ICE was a pup I made braided fleece tugs.
Patty and Ice
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Thank you. I think the issue is softness. The tugs I have bought are quite hard and tough. I will try starting her off on a shredded towl or something like that.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

ICE wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 pm Use something softer. When ICE was a pup I made braided fleece tugs.
Good idea
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Update: the bite suit tugs were probably just too hard. I followed ICE's suggestion, cut a towel into strips and she tugs just fine. Thanks for the help.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17