Planning a trip

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Planning a trip

Post by TimL_168 »

Hi all,
I'm starting to plan a very short backpacking trip (3-4 days) in either mid July or in the fall once it cools down. It's crazy that I have to "plan"for it; I used to have a bag ready to go almost all the time when I was younger.
I'm trying to decide weather or not to take my old girl. If I do, it will be the first time I've ever set out with two dogs. I'm going to see if I can adjust her packs to fit En. And there is where I'm starting to wonder. When I packed around with Takoma, she always carried her own food. Kibble weight and bulk adds up quickly. I'm well enough aware of loading guidelines for canines. I'm wondering if anyone here has come up with any alternatives. My first thought was a bunch of dehydrated meats and fruit/veggie mixes. I wonder if that would even be lighter than kibble? If I do go with straight kibble (prob+ treats), dies anyone think it would be a good idea to pick up a small bag of higher end kibble?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Planning a trip

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow that's neat. I have no idea about packing but I am sure there may be others who do. How old is your "old girl"?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm wow that's neat. I have no idea about packing but I am sure there may be others who do. How old is your "old girl"?
She's a hard ten. :( . She might be up to it, she might not. I'm going to see what I can do to make sure she's in good enough shape. She still wants to run with me, but she gets stiff and sore now. I'll probably ask my vet about it later this week when I take En in.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Good idea, At 10 Thalie was still going strong. It would depend on how much hiking per day you are doing, but you know your dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

What a fun idea to have her carry her food. We just tried some dehydrated food this morning. It mixes easily and is so light. Its probably a good idea. Maybe she can carry the food and her water?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG