June 2017 - Question of the Month

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

June 2017 - Question of the Month

Post by centrop67 »

Can you believe the year is just about half over?

With that in mind, tell us the most adventurous, fun, or difficult day you've had with your DS since the beginning of the year...

I got to take Radar and Leela out the sandbar for a swim last week. It's been a while. I can't take Radar on a weekend due to his reactivity, but I think he had a blast. When we pulled up to the little beach I take them to, Radar was literally sceaming to jump in the water. He was so impatient as I tried to get anchored up.

Of course, he swam and frolicked on the beach for a couple of hours, but when we got home and got baths - he was already itching to play some more. Nothing wears him out.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: June 2017 - Question of the Month

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Everyday is difficult with Sadie :eek: :eek: JK HAHAHA I know, time flies !!! We went to the beach before they closed it to dogs. Sadie just LOVES the water, we walked along the beach while Sadie walked in the water. She did not want to get out, even though she was shivering. I made her stay out and lay in the sun. Cooke ( the basset) was happy sleeping in the sun. Thalie was having a hard time walking in the sand with her old hind end so she was happy too laying down in the sun.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Getting ready and trialing Yoda in his first trial!!!
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

We have been going to the trail a lot lately where Duke runs 4 + miles and I just glide on my skateboard. Good times and lots of exercise!
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The most fun I've had with En this year? Hmmm... I'm really not sure! It's fun playing frisbee with her in the mornings. She's really developed a drive for that particular toy. It's also truly great that my nervousness and apprehension while running with her is melting away. I can actually enjoy running again.
Most challenging? Keeping her away from things that make her eyes bulge out and her teeth to clack.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

The everyday joys (and challenges) of having a DS are readily apparent in the responses so far.

But, I challenge you to find one in particular that stands out. Go back to 2016 if you need to.

Go...
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Duke wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 am We have been going to the trail a lot lately where Duke runs 4 + miles and I just glide on my skateboard. Good times and lots of exercise!
oooooooooohhhhh that brings back bad memories when I did that with my Basset hound,. Bad Idea :eek: He dragged me down the road and across someones lawn :doh:
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:11 pm
Duke wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 am We have been going to the trail a lot lately where Duke runs 4 + miles and I just glide on my skateboard. Good times and lots of exercise!
oooooooooohhhhh that brings back bad memories when I did that with my Basset hound,. Bad Idea :eek: He dragged me down the road and across someones lawn :doh:
I used to skate. I had huskies. It didn't end well. :duh:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:11 pm
Oh boy! Rollerblades or skateboard? Because I just jump off the board if things get hairy lol :eew:
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

TimL_168 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm I used to skate. I had huskies. It didn't end well. :duh:
Please. Share. More what happened? I'd love to try it with 1 husky. I can't handle 2 dog power.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Duke wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm I used to skate. I had huskies. It didn't end well. :duh:
Please. Share. More what happened? I'd love to try it with 1 husky. I can't handle 2 dog power.
I would never advise anyone to have themselves pulled by a dog on any medium. It really is dangerous. I was a stupid kid and thought it would be fun, it was a Basset hound, what harm could they do! Well, he was a 6o lb dog , a hound at that and there is NO stopping a hound once he has a scent. A working breed would do better since they listen better but I still would never do that again.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Duke wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm
I(kinda) trained them directional command. I was maybe twelve. I...I...I don't think I remember doing any real focused effort on training "whoa".
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor