What is your advice?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

What is your advice?

Post by Joxgirl »

What is the best way to introduce the new puppy to her new home and other dogs in the house? We were thinking of have our other two at grandmas (a place the love to go) for the first night. Then keeping the older dogs on leash when they meet puppy so they can be pulled back if they are too overwhelming for Rogue. Both our dogs are social with other dogs but hearing about how important it is to not scare this breed so not to have her become fearful, we want to do everything right. What suggestions do you all have?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: What is your advice?

Post by cordeliandemon »

my alaskan malamute is known for dog aggression so i introduced her to puppy demon first through a gap in the back door (there was a lot of snarling) then a week or so later i introduced her wearing an ecollar in a neutral space to make sure nothing went out of control. i didnt make a fuss of either dog and she definitely wanted to play- but was too big for him so their visits were supervised until he was at least half her size and less fragile. it helps that i have 3 separate yards that i could segregate them into when needed (and still do during feeding time).whatever you do try to breathe and remain calm so the dogs dont pick up on any excitement and nervousness.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

If you're dogs are well mannered, social, neutral around other dogs, I'd be thinking more about how to handle the puppy. Although, I'd definitely ask myself if the older dogs have ever been around a puppy and try to remember how they behaved.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Puppy should be on a leash at all times connected to you for a few months to teach them the ropes. It would be a good idea to put the other dogs at your parents for a night. Do not let the other dog sniff at will. make the older dog sit and let the puppy sniff a little. Remember YOU are the boss.

Act normal, no baby talk, dont get upset, dont show your emotion, that will trigger the dogs. Keep contact brief for a while.

Dont worry about doing everything right, that will make you more upset hoping you are doing everything right, then you will set off the dogs and it will all go wrong. :eek:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I'm loving the advice. We particularly like the advice about not letting the older dogs sniff at will. Both our dogs have recent puppy experience as my in-laws brought home a puppy in Feb. I love the idea of having Rogue on a leash with me as much as possible in the beginning, and plan to use it. Thank you all for each comment. Knowledge is powerful especially coming from your experiences.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG