No fleas, please.

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

No fleas, please.

Post by Joxgirl »

What does everyone here use to prevent fleas and ticks?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Re: No fleas, please.

Post by Joxgirl »

We use Advantage
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Fire. Beer. Whiskey.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Sorry. Been a rough day.:-\
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I've had my dogs on advantage topical forever. We switched to a chewable last go around. Aurora now has anaplasma, so I switched back to topical.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am Sorry. Been a rough day.:-\
Have the beer, Tim. :whistle:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 am I've had my dogs on advantage topical forever. We switched to a chewable last go around. Aurora now has anaplasma, so I switched back to topical.
The anaplasma must be a side affect, I take it. How did you discover that she had it? Hope she is doing better.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Anaplasma (spelling?) Is a tick borne disease. She contracted it while on the chewable repellent.
Last edited by TimL_168 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 am
TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am Sorry. Been a rough day.:-\
Have the beer, Tim. :whistle:
Damn kids. Dogs are great. Beer is better.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 am Anaplasma (spelling?) Is a tick borne disease. She contracted it while on the chewable repellent.
That's terrible. I'm so sorry.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am Fire. Beer. Whiskey.
hahahaha
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Diatematiouse earth (sp?)
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 am Diatematiouse earth (sp?)
Where do you buy it?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

You can get diatomaceous earth at home depot. It's great stuff. It has a wide array of purposes. We used it to get rid of bed bugs back when we lived in the city. It made a real difference! The stuff is abrasive as hell. Lisa, do you actually put it on the dogs?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 am You can get diatomaceous earth at home depot. It's great stuff. It has a wide array of purposes. We used it to get rid of bed bugs back when we lived in the city. It made a real difference! The stuff is abrasive as hell. Lisa, do you actually put it on the dogs?
I am interested in what Lisa says. This is the first I have heard of the product. We live in the city currently and have only had a small issue with fleas last year when we took the Malti-poo camping for the first and only time. It scared me to take him out again. We were able to get rid of the fleas with Advantage and flea shampoo. Oh and that yucky flea collar that no one is supposed to touch, but you want to love on your dog.... we want to take the dogs camping again when Rogue is old enough. We are also of thinking of moving out to the desert in the far future, but that can be addressed later. It's late, I am supposed to be studying, but rather ramble here.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 am You can get diatomaceous earth at home depot. It's great stuff. It has a wide array of purposes. We used it to get rid of bed bugs back when we lived in the city. It made a real difference! The stuff is abrasive as hell. Lisa, do you actually put it on the dogs?
Yes but be very careful no one breaths it in. it is not good for the lungs.
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Duke is not currently on any flea or tick preventatives and it drives me nuts because I know it's only a matter of time until he gets ticks, he is very active outside and near forest preserves.

I want to do a topical because I'm not interested in the giving him the oral supplement
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Duke wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 pm Duke is not currently on any flea or tick preventatives and it drives me nuts because I know it's only a matter of time until he gets ticks, he is very active outside and near forest preserves.

I want to do a topical because I'm not interested in the giving him the oral supplement
I worry about toxicity.
(Just realized that you are not Duke. Duke is your pup. )
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

same, I don't feed anything that is chemical. I have all natural bug sprays
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 pm same, I don't feed anything that is chemical. I have all natural bug sprays
Glad we have this in common. I get flack from people who don't share the same concerns.

Cute new picture in your signature.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG