When puppy bites

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

When puppy bites

Post by Joxgirl »

She's playing and bites.... expected. We don't yell or say no. We try to redirect. Do any of you use Aus, leave it or Pfui when getting bit?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Re: When puppy bites

Post by Duke »

I use Nein! Most will say biting on a hand or even play biting is to never be allowed on us, a good firm Nein!

Aus when you want her to drop the ball, 'lass es' when you're reaching down to grab that ball and want to keep your fingers, Pfui when she is being obnoxious and it's less severe, roughness
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Duke wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 am I use Nein! Most will say biting on a hand or even play biting is to never be allowed on us, a good firm Nein!

Aus when you want her to drop the ball, 'lass es' when you're reaching down to grab that ball and want to keep your fingers, Pfui when she is being obnoxious and it's less severe, roughness
Ahhhhhhhh Nein. Hadn't thought of that.
Thanks for lass es. Going to try to remember to use that verses leave it. -Danke
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

No!!!! I never tell my dogs no... I show them what they can do vs what they are doing but I never tell them to stop or give a command to stop... but I'm talking raising competition dogs
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 pm No!!!! I never tell my dogs no... I show them what they can do vs what they are doing but I never tell them to stop or give a command to stop... but I'm talking raising competition dogs
:huh: :doh: :pint: :pint:
Ok.
Will stick with original plan. No, "No, Nein, Neit"
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

that's a bit confusing, but I see what you mean kind of
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Duke wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:05 pm that's a bit confusing, but I see what you mean kind of
I never tell my dogs no or correct them for natural behaviors... instead say a dog is biting me, I redirect the mouth to a toy and mark the behavior with good when the dog goes to the toy and not me... i also (when they are young) plan ahead and have the dogs favorite toy with me every time I'm around them so they don't have a chance to bite on me because the toy has all the value... if I'm not in the mood to deal with it I put them up in a crate or in a pen in the yard... eventually the dog will grab its favorite toy when it gets the biting urge and you won't have to do anything
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm
Duke wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:05 pm that's a bit confusing, but I see what you mean kind of
I never tell my dogs no or correct them for natural behaviors... instead say a dog is biting me, I redirect the mouth to a toy and mark the behavior with good when the dog goes to the toy and not me... i also (when they are young) plan ahead and have the dogs favorite toy with me every time I'm around them so they don't have a chance to bite on me because the toy has all the value... if I'm not in the mood to deal with it I put them up in a crate or in a pen in the yard... eventually the dog will grab its favorite toy when it gets the biting urge and you won't have to do anything
Definitely makes sense, I used to redirect this way when the dogs would bite shoes or anything else that they shouldn't, then people would say I was reinforcing the bad behavior by giving a toy they value. Oh boy lol
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm
STEVE, how do you mark? I forget all too often to do this. Is it before or after the treat or toy? Where are you marking? Is it the same place on them or do you change it up? I usually touch her head or chin or shoulders. Is this smart to do?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

As soon as the dog grabs the toy I simply mark the behavior with the word good
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you have 3 seconds to mark the behavior or the dog wont make the connection
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

the things we dont want them to do...bite,shred.....are human things. dogs are not human, when they do something its a dog thing, learn what and why and train the dog as a dog
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 pm As soon as the dog grabs the toy I simply mark the behavior with the word good
Saralee, don't forget to charge up your mark word.

Say "good" give treat, say "good" give treat. she will associate the word "good" with getting treats.

then when she does something you want you can now say "good" she'll know good means treats are coming. typically you can roll good off your tounge faster than you can roll a treat in her mouth
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i made the mistake of using "OK" as sadies marker, one day my daughter asked me something and i said "OK" and sadie came running in and sat in front if me waiting for a treat
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 am i made the mistake of using "OK" as sadies marker, one day my daughter asked me something and i said "OK" and sadie came running in and sat in front if me waiting for a treat
:lol:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Duke wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:07 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 pm As soon as the dog grabs the toy I simply mark the behavior with the word good
Saralee, don't forget to charge up your mark word.

Say "good" give treat, say "good" give treat. she will associate the word "good" with getting treats.

then when she does something you want you can now say "good" she'll know good means treats are coming. typically you can roll good off your tounge faster than you can roll a treat in her mouth
Oh I see. Ok. This makes much more sense.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Duke on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:53 am

Oh I see. Ok. This makes much more sense.
chh ch ch charge it up! free treats :)
Dree_19
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Sporting a 3 pack on New England's coast.

Post by Dree_19 »

Keep treats in your pocket at home at all times. Any opportunity the dog is doing something right mark it and treat. Even something as insignificant as looking at you. As soon as she makes eye contact "yes" or "good" then treat. Over and over until she associates the marker word with doing something right and getting reward. I ignore biting behavior or redirect exactly as Steve suggests. Keep a high valued toy like a rope tug in your pocket and when she starts biting throw her the rope. That rope should never be left out for her to play with alone. Make it a "special" toy so she will want it instead of your foot or the rug.
"West" (Vrijheid's Xtreme DOB 4/9/17)
"Easton" (DDR GSD DOB 5/18/17)
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dree_19 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 pm Keep treats in your pocket at home at all times. Any opportunity the dog is doing something right mark it and treat. Even something as insignificant as looking at you. As soon as she makes eye contact "yes" or "good" then treat. Over and over until she associates the marker word with doing something right and getting reward. I ignore biting behavior or redirect exactly as Steve suggests. Keep a high valued toy like a rope tug in your pocket and when she starts biting throw her the rope. That rope should never be left out for her to play with alone. Make it a "special" toy so she will want it instead of your foot or the rug.

How long of time do you give for the toy reward?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG