Want a Dutch Shepherd, but want to be sure, Advice?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Schofield
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a young dog lover, currently in search of puppy that can serve as a medical alert service dog. This dog will have to have an excellent nose, highly trainable, loyal and boost me back into my energetic lifestyle in the English countryside. I decided to ask Dutch Shepherd experts on this website if this breed is appropriate for this job and appropriate for me to get. I am already in love with the breed, but I think it would be sensible (and I would really appreciate) to get some advice first. Thank you.

Want a Dutch Shepherd, but want to be sure, Advice?

Post by Schofield »

I am in love with this breed and have been researching for almost half a year, however, I thought it would be best to get some advice from those who own a Dutch Shepherd. To help me see if this breed is correct for me.
I would really appreciate your thoughts and time.

I am an active young person which due to the development of several rare diseases, am recently in need of a medical alert dog. With a medical alert dog monitoring my health, due to the nature of the diseases, I will be able to avoid major illness and hospitalisation. I will be able to recover to my former health of hiking, running and travelling.

As you can see it has to be a very special dog and it is very essential that I get the right puppy (as I do understand there is diversity in each breed)! I need a dog that has an excellent sense of smell, highly trainable, intelligent and focused and alert on its job. As while this puppy will be highly trained for the specific job of keeping me alive, it will need to be able to calm enough to assist me everywhere I go (be it in trains, buses, airplanes, shops etc.) and I understand that this is a high drive breed. I live in the countryside and when I am not ill I lead a very active lifestyle (long walks and runs, hiking and mountaineering trips). I will be able to give him a least 2 walks a day not including following me where ever I go. However, it is very key that this puppy is able to pass the service dog exams, and not too highly driven. I have experience with Australian cattle dogs, collies and labradors.

My questions:
  • Are their Dutch Herder lines which are non KNPV? (I am in the UK and willing to travel to Holland)
  • In a litter how would you know which puppy might be eligible for service work?
  • And ultimately is this breed correct for my situation? As despite my love for this breed, I do not want to force a dog into doing a job it is not bred for and does not enjoy.
  • Have you ever had experience of a Dutch Shepherd that has a suitable temperament for this lifestyle?

Thank you very much for all your help :D
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Want a Dutch Shepherd, but want to be sure, Advice?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i would say no, this breed is iffy on the drive you get. my sadie is so high drive and very unstable. the more stable DS are mixed. a good breeder will know what pup is good, many other breeds may be more suitable. its the calm you need and they are very easily agitated.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

I know that I have seen stories of people who have successfully transformed DS into good service dogs, but I think too many perfect circumstances would have to fall in place to have the DS at the top of the list of breeds.

I think it's important for you to start by researching breeders. There's a good advice on researching a breeder here on the forum, and it applies to not just a DS.

The breeder is going to be very important in selecting the right puppy, and I don't believe this is something you should attempt on your own.

Good luck, and I hope you find the perfect dog. :wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Schofield
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a young dog lover, currently in search of puppy that can serve as a medical alert service dog. This dog will have to have an excellent nose, highly trainable, loyal and boost me back into my energetic lifestyle in the English countryside. I decided to ask Dutch Shepherd experts on this website if this breed is appropriate for this job and appropriate for me to get. I am already in love with the breed, but I think it would be sensible (and I would really appreciate) to get some advice first. Thank you.

Post by Schofield »

Thank you both for the reply! :D

Really sad to hear that you think that a Dutch Shepherd might not be the right breed. I have also read of multiple cases of amazing service dog dutchies, and was hoping that it was not rare! Luckily I will have help with picking, raising and training of the puppy from the service dog charity and I have access to a lot of open country side to wear one out. Do you think that it might raise the chances?

Do you know of any breeders of Dutch Herders in the UK or Holland that might be able to help me?

Also Dutchringgirl mentioned mixed Dutchies might be a more suitable match. What mixes would you recommend?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there are breeds that are geared for service. DS are geared for hard work, running all day, protecting their human, what if you felt ill and fainted and your DS would not let any one near you? What if you needed people to help you walk to a chair and the dog was so agitated it bit someone? Even my Thalie who is low drive, did therapy work, let kids hang on her and snuggle and read to her, would protect me if she thought someone was hurting me while thery were trying to hold me up..

This is a protection breed, I personally would not want to take the chance. There are so many breeds more suited fir this, that can go hiking and play and enjoy you and not worry about going after someone who is helping you
ImageImage
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

ditto to everything dutchringgirl said.
if youre in england youd be likely getting the same lines as my DS demon, all the ones ive seen here very very intense for lack of a better word and i dont think it would be the right breed for what you need. ive had my dog almost (i called him back just in time) turn on a close family member who he loves for over dramatically sneezing in close proximity to me, i can only imagine if something happened to you how stressed the dog would be and it could quickly turn into a safety issue.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Just as an example of some of the advice added here, take a look at Tim's post: Interesting Reaction for an Untrained Dog.

The natural instincts of the breed kicked in, and it could have went a lot worse.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

even a highly trained dog is not a good idea. thalie, who is superb and highly trained would go after someone if they touched me in the heat of a problem if i fainted lets say
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

I have a Dutch Shepherd puppy who will be my psychiatric service dog. I disagree with those who say you should discount the breed. My puppy will be my second Dutch Shepherd service dog and so far she has been perfect in every way. I think centrop67 hit the nail on the head- the important things are to select the right breeder who will help you choose a dog to fit your needs, and also to train him/her properly and be aware of possible breed-specific traits that could potentially create an issue (which you will probably find in any purebred animal). I highly recommend the Dutch Shepherd for any purpose. Good luck!
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

zxs107020 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm I have a Dutch Shepherd puppy who will be my psychiatric service dog. I disagree with those who say you should discount the breed. My puppy will be my second Dutch Shepherd service dog and so far she has been perfect in every way. I think centrop67 hit the nail on the head- the important things are to select the right breeder who will help you choose a dog to fit your needs, and also to train him/her properly and be aware of possible breed-specific traits that could potentially create an issue (which you will probably find in any purebred animal). I highly recommend the Dutch Shepherd for any purpose. Good luck!
the OP is in the uk, we dont have a selection of people breeding low drive or pet dogs like the usa does that would suit this work. there isnt a bounty to choose from if theres even a choice at all, i only have one breeder in my entire country and all his dogs are very intense. its an entirely different ballgame and i wouldnt recommend this to OP under any circumstances due to the plethora of other dogs who would suit this purpose and even be specifically bred for it in the uk.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P