My Dutch Shepherd Service Dog

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

My Dutch Shepherd Service Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

I have a Dutch Shepherd. She is my service dog. She is my second Dutch Shepherd that I have had as a service dog. I have now had two Dutch Shepherds from two different breeders in two different countries. Both were excellent service dogs and absolutely perfect for me. I fell in love with the breed because of them and I will probably always have a Dutch Shepherd as a result of their magnificent service to me.

In my experience, Dutch Shepherds are hard working, highly intelligent, and very trainable. They excel when they are given a job to do that keeps them physically and mentally active. This is why they are used in areas ranging from protection to SAR. I even know of a lady whose seeing-eye dog was a Dutch Shepherd. Sure, they have a lot of energy- but that just means its important to give them the appropriate amount of exercise.

This message is for those that are interested in the breed, but dont already have one. Dogs (and people) can develop a reputation for acting a certain way or having certain characteristics. These reputations are not always positive. Please understand that, more often than not, negative perceptions are a result of poor training and environmental factors rather than inherent breed-specific traits.

As with any animal, of any breed or species, if you decide that a Dutch Shepherd is right for you- please keep in mind that the animal should be well-trained and well-socialized. It is also important to choose an animal whose behavior and individual characteristics are well-suited to your individual lifestyle; just like people, each dog has its own personality and we should always be mindful of this fact.

* Steps off of soapbox *
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: My Dutch Shepherd Service Dog

Post by cordeliandemon »

was this supposed to be directed at my response to you about dutch shepherds in the uk by any chance? if it was id have preferred if you had just replied to my comment
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

cordeliandemon wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:47 pm was this supposed to be directed at my response to you about dutch shepherds in the uk by any chance? if it was id have preferred if you had just replied to my comment
That post has been locked, fyi. However, I am simply making a general statement- take it as you wish.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I would like to let everyone know that the original poster(on the other thread) has come and gone.

I have been watching this topic and yes, removing some posts. I feel like they got a little too personal in nature and did not contribute to the discussion. That's why I locked down the other post.

I know this is a passionate subject for some of you, but I am going to be real strict about what gets posted here moving forward.

State your case without calling the other side names or questioning their cognitative skills and we'll be fine.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

It's nice to know that you found a dog that meets your needs. We should all be so lucky.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am It's nice to know that you found a dog that meets your needs. We should all be so lucky.
I think its more an issue of good breeding and lots of training rather than luck :D
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

zxs107020 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am It's nice to know that you found a dog that meets your needs. We should all be so lucky.
I think its more an issue of good breeding and lots of training rather than luck :D
I didn't mean any disrespect by using the word luck. I know that a dog requires training to have them do what we may require of them. I'm sure you have put in many hours of love and devotion have yours assist you. ❤️
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm I didn't mean any disrespect by using the word luck. I know that a dog requires training to have them do what we may require of them. I'm sure you have put in many hours of love and devotion have yours assist you. ❤️
Absolutely, and none taken. Yes- it is definitely a long, hard process....especially now that shes 6-months, we seem to have begun the backslide :? Sometimes she is a perfect angel, until shes a downright devil. lol- but Im sure she will mature into a fine young lady.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

maybe we should be staying away from blanket generalizations, as that could be taken as any dutch shepherd who isnt just like yours is either poorly trained or poorly bred.
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

cordeliandemon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 pm maybe we should be staying away from blanket generalizations, as that could be taken as any dutch shepherd who isnt just like yours is either poorly trained or poorly bred.
lol....i made a statement about MY dogs based on MY experience- which have come from different breeders on different continents...but since you bring up the subject of blanket generalizations, how is saying "Dutch Shepherds do not make good service dogs" not a blanket generalization? Because I believe thats essentially what you said in your post on the other thread.

Moreover, yes, I do believe 100% that if a handler cant control their dog and forms a negative opinion of the breed...it is absolutely a product of poor training. Training animals to behave the way we want them too is a very long, hard process. People are all too quick to blame the animal (or breed) instead of its person in charge, and THAT is a travesty.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
cordeliandemon
Training Dog

Post by cordeliandemon »

:|
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

zxs107020 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:23 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm I didn't mean any disrespect by using the word luck. I know that a dog requires training to have them do what we may require of them. I'm sure you have put in many hours of love and devotion have yours assist you. ❤️
Absolutely, and none taken. Yes- it is definitely a long, hard process....especially now that shes 6-months, we seem to have begun the backslide :? Sometimes she is a perfect angel, until shes a downright devil. lol- but Im sure she will mature into a fine young lady.
Great, I was hoping I didn't offend you. 😊 My pup can be real sweet then turn into a biting force of teeth. In her defense she is teething. There is a lot of chew toys and treats for her to enjoy.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

zxs107020 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 pm
cordeliandemon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 pm maybe we should be staying away from blanket generalizations, as that could be taken as any dutch shepherd who isnt just like yours is either poorly trained or poorly bred.
lol....i made a statement about MY dogs based on MY experience- which have come from different breeders on different continents...but since you bring up the subject of blanket generalizations, how is saying "Dutch Shepherds do not make good service dogs" not a blanket generalization? Because I believe thats essentially what you said in your post on the other thread.

Moreover, yes, I do believe 100% that if a handler cant control their dog and forms a negative opinion of the breed...it is absolutely a product of poor training. Training animals to behave the way we want them too is a very long, hard process. People are all too quick to blame the animal (or breed) instead of its person in charge, and THAT is a travesty.
I agree with you on this. I don't like when the breed is blamed. It is the human that does the labeling.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 am
zxs107020 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I agree with you on this. I don't like when the breed is blamed. It is the human that does the labeling.
See I wouldn't say they don't make a good service dog but a lab or golden is a better option seeing the drive difference and controllability.... the right dog in the right hands can do anything though
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

This topic has really run its course, and I am dissapointed that it got this far considering the original poster (other thread) has come and gone.

When I first took over the site, there were two or three members engaged in a lot of back-and-forth arguments including some passive (and sometimes not so passive) aggressive comments. I let them go too far, and it took over a year to get over the loss of members and start having real good discussions again.

I can delete posts, send PMs, and ultimately ban members, but I don't really want to do any of that. I am locking this thread, and I ask everyone to move along (there's nothing to see here).
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers