Energy

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Energy

Post by zxs107020 »

Ok, so my goal is to keep my dog tired and well-exercised so that she is calmer during the day while I work and study and doesnt get bored or become destructive. So, I take her to the park every morning off-leash (the place is usually deserted and its big enough that passing dogs and people dont distract her) and we play fetch and train for at least 30-45 minutes (and again same thing at night). I usually put an end to it when she stops running after the ball. Yet, both in the morning and evening, as soon as we get home she starts bouncing off the walls again for another couple of hours before settling down. This leads me to believe that I am not doing enough on our outings- but like I said, I keep going until she gets tired, she puts an end to these sessions not me. Am I doing something wrong? My thinking is that she is getting bored, not tired, and this is why she stops playing. Do I need to try some different toys/activities (I use balls and frisbees)? What methods have people found as most effective in expending the dogs energy?
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Energy

Post by TimL_168 »

Get the dog to work using it's brain, not just it's legs. Nosework.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm Get the dog to work using it's brain, not just it's legs. Nosework.
I humbly admit, I have not the slightest clue on how to go about doing nosework.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

IPO!!!!!
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

zxs107020 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm Get the dog to work using it's brain, not just it's legs. Nosework.
I humbly admit, I have not the slightest clue on how to go about doing nosework.
It's pretty straight forward. There's a ton of info online. You're best off finding a local trainer that's certified or at least familiar. If you're looking for something to do with the dog, you can learn how to practice searches and compete against others.
Check out flyball, too. I've never done it, but it looks intense.
If you really have time, I second IPO!.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm It's pretty straight forward. There's a ton of info online. You're best off finding a local trainer that's certified or at least familiar. If you're looking for something to do with the dog, you can learn how to practice searches and compete against others.
Check out flyball, too. I've never done it, but it looks intense.
If you really have time, I second IPO!.
This post may not be well received, but I am completely done with trainers. More often than not, I think they are sell-outs and the same knowledge/training can be done individually (and for much, much cheaper) if you have both the time and energy.

As far as IPO is concerned, I found a club and we are going to go for a meet-and-greet on August 20th! Im quite excited, wish us luck. The downside is, its pretty far so even if all goes well- itll still only be once a week.

But I did do a little bit of research on the subject and I definitely think nosework will be our next endeavor. Hopefully itll suck some of the energy out her haha.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:30 pm IPO!!!!!
Im going to a club's training day on Aug. 20th... any suggestions on prep work we could do to be ready? I dont want to get rejected :( lol. This will be the second Schutzhund club I am trying to join. The first was with the dog trainers. They told me, "we are not currently accepting new members," and tried to convince me to stay away from the sport :oops: They also tried to convince me that instead of joining the club, I should just spend more money on their classes. To be fair, its not a real club anyway- the one were visiting on the 20th is a legitimate club registered with the United Schutzhund Clubs, etc.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Instead of "K9 Nosework" we will be working on "tracking."
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I understand being done with trainers but that means you have not found the right one. when you do it will be great.
when I did ring sport, it was a blast, the dogs had fun. worked. learned and were tired.

Find something.

once a week is fine, it will give you work to do on youe own. Travel if you can. I went 1.5 hours once a week foe a while to work with a really great ring trainer.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 pm I understand being done with trainers but that means you have not found the right one. when you do it will be great.
when I did ring sport, it was a blast, the dogs had fun. worked. learned and were tired.

Find something.

once a week is fine, it will give you work to do on youe own. Travel if you can. I went 1.5 hours once a week foe a while to work with a really great ring trainer.
Again, this post may not be well received. After my recent negative experience with a dog training facility I am pretty passionate about this right now. I should rephrase what I said before though, perhaps. I am done paying for the services of a "professional" dog trainer. What does that even mean btw? Training dogs does not require a higher education or an advanced degree. It is not rocket science, its not even comparable to the job of a personal trainer, etc. Almost all information pertaining to training dogs is readily available for free on the internet, or through books and self-study. The only component that a "professional" dog trainer can actually add is experience working with a variety of animals. However, this experience has little value because it does not account for the individual dogs personality. I think the only justifiable reasons for seeking a "professional" are a lack of time, energy to do it yourself- or if the dog actually has a serious issue that could potentially be dangerous. Luckily, I have both time and energy and my dog has no problems.

Having said that, yes I hope that both dog and I can get some good training from the Schutzhund club (if they let us join, fingers crossed). Its an hour away, so we wont be able to go too often- but that should truly be an excellent learning opportunity.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I do agree with you when it comes to regular dogs and regular training. Many people, though will benefit but that is only because they do not understand the inner workings of animals. When i was in horses, i rode and trained at high levels. I would go to top trainers in hopes of learning but they could not teach me as my natural understanding of animals taught me . when you train in a specific sport, such as ring or IPO etc, a trainer is needed because there are many differnt things to do and they are good guidance.

i do hope the shutzhund club works out for you
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I understand, I suppose. I've always had a good head for figuring dogs out and working with them. The average trainer wouldn't be able to do figure out anything that I can't. HOWEVER- a good trainer, with good experience can recognize things that I either can't notice or didn't notice. Also, not that I have any experience in IPO, but I think I recall reading that there's aspects of it that one shouldn't do with one's own dog. Is that really the case anyone?
Endeavor has been my tracking dog since I got her. I went through a good nosework 1 course this spring just to see if I could learn anything or improve En's performance. There WERE a couple things that I learned that were game changers for us.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

What ipo club?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont need a trainer for my basset or for your regular pet. but no way could I have done ring sport with out a trainer.

Tim, what do you mean, " but I think I recall reading that there's aspects of it that one shouldn't do with one's own dog."

I dont know anything about IPO, IM a ring person, but IPO looks cool too. Steve is your IPO guy.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 am I dont need a trainer for my basset or for your regular pet. but no way could I have done ring sport with out a trainer.

Tim, what do you mean, " but I think I recall reading that there's aspects of it that one shouldn't do with one's own dog."

I dont know anything about IPO, IM a ring person, but IPO looks cool too. Steve is your IPO guy.
Ipo takes a team! You can't do it on your own!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Ipo is not easy as well and every now and then or once a week isn't enough either! I train 4-5 days a week
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Lisa- I wrote that while partially distracted last night. What I should have written is this:
I've read differing opinions on training bitework. And, now that I think about it, the local club I checked out a couple years ago was training (allegedly) PPD, not exactly IPO. When I asked about what kinds and levels of training they do themselves, outside the facility, their response was that they don't do anything that would have their own dogs looking to go for a grip on them. That jives with a lot if stuff I've read. Again, I've never trained in protection sport, so I'm completely talking out of my butt.
In your experience, or in your knowledge, is there a point in training where a dogs defensiveness and reactivity truly switch to actual aggression? I remember one of the guys at the club with a dutch puppy said that in PPD training they slowly push the dogs past fear, defensiveness, and just the game of biting the decoy.
Also, another reason to work with someone that knows what they're doing is tracking. Tracking is a PITA working on your own. I know- that's how I'm most often stuck doing it. You don't get as much useful time behind the dog when you have to put the dog up somewhere safe, go lay your track(s), go get the dog, and all that. If the only scent you ever want your dog to find is yours, you can do that. I've run in to problems where my dog breaks trail because it turns out she was following MY scent, not the game scent I had laid.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 am I dont need a trainer for my basset or for your regular pet. but no way could I have done ring sport with out a trainer.

thanks, I read it as not to use your own dog LOL

You cant do ring on your own either,
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am

thanks, I read it as not to use your own dog LOL

You cant do ring on your own either,
Nope that takes a team as well!
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Youre all right, I agree- sports take a TEAM. However, therein lies the distinction. A team is something entirely different from and not to be compared with an individual trainer for hire, much less a dog training "facility". Also, I didnt mean any offense or disrespect towards anyone who may be involved in "professional" dog training, especially not on this forum. Im sure there might be a few good trainers out there who are more passionate about the dogs than finding a way to make a quick buck. I just havent met any.

Tracking is something I definitely wouldnt be able to do entirely on my own. After doing some research though, I have begun laying a foundation. Basically, I just create a scent pad and lay down some kibble in the corners and center. Then I bring the dog over and say, "find food" (she knows what "food" is). We've only done this a couple times, but so far it seems like she will be a natural- good form (nose to the ground) and hasnt once left the scent pad yet. She naturally LOVES "hunting" my cats through the house. This is always interesting because one of the cats hides to avoid confrontation- so you can tell when/how the dog loses the trail. (Cleo doesnt show aggression towards them and I would never let her get even close to biting or otherwise injuring them in any way- but she enjoys finding them).

Steve, the club is DFW Working Dogs. We will only be able to go out to the club once a week but I train individually with my dog for at least two hours a day- every day. Also, as a service dog she will not be able to compete in protection so that lessens the load a little bit.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17