Weight

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Weight

Post by zxs107020 »

How much does your full grown DS weigh? How much did they weigh at 6 months? Just trying to gauge if my puppy is a good weight/size for her age. Some times people post pictures of their "6-month old DS" on facebook and I think a) theres no way its a DS or b) theres no way its 6-months old. Cleo was 27 pounds at 5 months and Im guessing shes probably about 30-35 right now. Im really anxious, curious to see how big shell get. The breeder said probably ~65 pounds, but Im hoping that with the right food/exercise that I might be able to push that to 70 or more?
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Weight

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

zxs107020 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm How much does your full grown DS weigh? How much did they weigh at 6 months? Just trying to gauge if my puppy is a good weight/size for her age. Some times people post pictures of their "6-month old DS" on facebook and I think a) theres no way its a DS or b) theres no way its 6-months old. Cleo was 27 pounds at 5 months and Im guessing shes probably about 30-35 right now. Im really anxious, curious to see how big shell get. The breeder said probably ~65 pounds, but Im hoping that with the right food/exercise that I might be able to push that to 70 or more?
Yoda is 80lbs most females are 55-65 why would you want to push the dog to weigh more? Keep ther at a natural healthy weight! Yoda is tall and large for a dutchie that's why he weighs so much plus he works 3-4 days a week hard! But I feed him raw and excersise him through training! He's ripped you can see every muscle in his body. It's nothing I did it's just his genetics and natural weight
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

demon was around 73 lbs at 5 months and is a healthy/lean 110lbs at 3 years old. hes a weirdly big guy though like his dad razer. if you do a search in the bar above theres a thread called "How large is your DS or Mal if you own one" where everyone gives an idea of what the norm is. your girl sounds like shes right where shes supposed to be:), i wouldnt try to push her past where shes meant to be if its even possible, as big puppy growth spurts can be harmful on development.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

zxs107020 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm but Im hoping that with the right food/exercise that I might be able to push that to 70 or more?
why? She will be what she will be. Is there a reason you want a 70lb dog? My girls are 55lbs . All of the females that used to be in my club were about that size too. The males were big though.

If you push her by feeding her more or more exercise you risk hurting her joints.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Post by Jas31663166 »

Cajun turned 12 weeks on Saturday and is now 23.5 pounds, but like some of the other post his parents are larger.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Wow, Cajun is 23.5 pounds? Gonna be a big dog, my Cleo was like 13.5 when I got her at 12 weeks hah. Well anyway I dont feed her extra or overwork her or anything like that, I just meant- she gets Orijen "puppy large" plus supplements. As far as why? Just because I want a big dog....lol. My next dog will be a Cane Corso (if I decide not to get another DS). My main concern was that the breeder said she should be about 65, which would be great- I just feel like shes not growing as fast as I was expecting, maybe? I thought she would be 40-45 lbs by now but that was just a number I pulled out of the air, dont have any gauge to go by, which is why I created this thread :) Thank you all for the responses!
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Riddick weighs now around 90 pounds. Asia weighs around 55 pounds and Zoe weighs around 60 pounds.
Dree_19
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Sporting a 3 pack on New England's coast.

Post by Dree_19 »

Such a vast range of size/weight you really can't compare one to another. West is 50lbs at 5 months, lean and lanky but muscular. He's on Orijen LBP kibble plus Vital Essentials freeze-dried raw daily. Vet says he will be big fora Dutch. Easton (GSD) is 4 months and 45lbs. HE is going to be massive! :eek:
"West" (Vrijheid's Xtreme DOB 4/9/17)
"Easton" (DDR GSD DOB 5/18/17)
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Rogue is 19 weeks tomorrow and weighs 36 lbs.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG