Feeding

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Re: Feeding

Post by zxs107020 »

The collar is 17"
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (901.34 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she is beautiful.

For amazon, unless it sold by the manufacturer I wont buy it
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 pm she is beautiful.

For amazon, unless it sold by the manufacturer I wont buy it
Thank you :D :D :D :DSlove:
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 pm I do all my foundation with food from hand or on the track but they still receive their meals... I switch to a ball on a rope for a reward as soon as they show me they know the behavior... but I'm speaking from a competition aspect! I know people that their dogs don't eat unless it's from their hand and to me that's just dumb... let the dog enjoy its meal in peace!
Well Steve, you might be upset to hear this: they told me at the IPO club too that I should be feeding her by hand :S So I guess its back to it- although, Im still waiting to hear back on whether or not I can join. Maybe if they reject me Ill go back to feeding her. Im pretty nervous though, Im running out of options. Theres only one more club left in my area which is Red River Working Dogs and they are even farther. So fingers crossed. :shock:
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm I see this so often and honestly I think it's stupid!!! Let the damn dog eat! What a shit life having to do something for ever meal!
Well, it looks like I will now be a member of the DFW Working Dogs club :D. You will not be happy to find out that it was recommended to me there that I make the dog work for all her food- so I guess I will be going back to that method LOL :S
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

zxs107020 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm Well, it looks like I will now be a member of the DFW Working Dogs club :D. You will not be happy to find out that it was recommended to me there that I make the dog work for all her food- so I guess I will be going back to that method LOL :S
Congrats! Working for food isn't necessarily the same as always feeding by hand. We use every feeding time as an opportunity to reinforce Hilde's basic obedience (spot, wait, etc.), or a quick search game, or we use food toys that keep her busy and engaged. Still, once she complies with a requested command she gets a pile of food to enjoy. Always doling out every bit by hand seems excessive.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

racingiron1 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm Congrats! Working for food isn't necessarily the same as always feeding by hand. We use every feeding time as an opportunity to reinforce Hilde's basic obedience (spot, wait, etc.), or a quick search game, or we use food toys that keep her busy and engaged. Still, once she complies with a requested command she gets a pile of food to enjoy. Always doling out every bit by hand seems excessive.
Thank you :D . But yea, thats basically what I meant- she has to work to her food. Not just being fed by hand but I mean using food as reward for training exercises.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I would starve if fed by hand. Unless again, it was by a sexy guy.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG