Feeding

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Re: Feeding

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 am some will just be lean. Thalie i always an easy keeper and maintained a good weight, SADIE is a bit tougher. she is very lean, as is her lineage. She always looks thinner. I have her on a good amount but she stresses it off. plus with her bad hips i would rather have her thinner.

you want to see the last rib
Thanks for the tip! I'm excited we've made progress, then it seems we are on track. Mostly just the last rib is showing. If he keeps doubling in size and needing more food I'll have to take a loan out! Lol
FB_IMG_1503099898113.jpg
FB_IMG_1503099898113.jpg (152.48 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is very beautiful !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:40 am We are on Fromm's Large breed puppy gold. It's also AAFCO certified and has the vitamins and nutrients I'm looking for. I've been researching foods that help prevent HD, etc and thought that was the best way to go. Yes, the higher protein of that food is likely why it's less. My senior Doxie gets grain free (severe allergies) and his serving size dropped significantly then too. I have read high protein is good but too high makes them put on weight too fast and cause joint and HD also. So imagine my surprise when he hulked out anyways! Lol
Very interesting, now youve got me wondering....do I need to be switching foods? lol, I did a lot of research too before picking Orijen. Surprisingly, Fromm's never came up. (Or maybe it did and I didnt notice). Im glad you mentioned that they have growth spurts though- everyone keeps telling me Cleo is getting bigger, but I just feel like the growth has slowed down a little bit. Hopefully she will have some more spurts. If she ends up being 70 pounds, that would make me very happy.

I did a bit of research on Fromms though. How much does your dog weigh? Because even if I switched, the recommended amount is still 3(and 1/8) cups for her age and weight. Honestly, I currently feed more than this if you include treats (I use orijen for this also) because she probably gets at least a cup a day of those. The only thing I dont like is that its 26% protein vs 40%. I have no real knowledge of canine physiology, but just from working out and human anatomy I know that a lot of protein at a younger age is definitely helpful in increasing size/mass. I figure dogs have to be at least somewhat similar.

Anyway, Im guessing the main difference in size between our dogs is probably boy vs girl and not the food- but who knows. Your boy definitely looks huge, happy, and healthy though- Im sure you are very proud :D.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/d ... endations/ <that's the feeding guide. We're at 4, and will need to add an eighth cup soon.

Recommended protein according to studies are 23% - 31%. And calcium and phosphorus at these average level. Here's a good reference for that. http://ivcjournal.com/feeding-large-breed-puppies/

Origen is a great food. If it works for ya stick with it. I'm a bit obsessive about dog nutrition because of my sickly little Doxie pal. He came to me emaciated, missing hair, and his litter mates had gouged his eye. It wasn't until him that I realized the huge impact the proper food has on a dog. Vets told me he would never be a pet quality animal and that I should put him down over and over again. But he was such a trooper. For a dog they swore to me wouldn't live to be a year old, he's now 13 and has a congenital disorder called IVDD that should prevent him from walking, but due to diet and exercise he's recovered and at 110%. (He bosses the Dutchie around, too! Lol.) Food matters. Not just if it's high protein or grain free, or small ingredients, but what works best with the dog.
FB_IMG_1499787703195.jpg
FB_IMG_1499787703195.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Interesting article. Two things that it points out are:

"A common misconception found in many internet articles is the claim that dietary protein should be controlled in large breed puppies to prevent skeletal abnormalities. This theory was disproved some years ago (Nap, 1991). "

and also

"Most nutritionists recommend that large, fast growing puppies eat diets containing at least 30% protein and 9% fat (dry matter basis)."

Im glad this is mentioned, because as I said- I dont really have a "medical" justification for insisting on a high protein content. Just my gut instincts tell me: more protein = more better. LOL.

Anyway, I also feed my dog Bully Max and VitaPlus supplements. However, because of Calcium/Phosphorous content, I alternate these and give them on different days. She gets Bully Max 4 days a week and VitaPlus on the other 3 days.

The truth of the matter is that the vitamin supplements probably dont make any difference because she is probably getting all of her nutrients from the Orijen. I asked the vet though and she said the supplements wont hurt the dog, so I give them in the hope that they are subtly making a positive difference in her overall development.

Terrible story about your little dog. He is lucky to have met an owner like yourself who refused to give up on him. I dont know if I would have been able to make the same choice :( so youre definitely very strong. Funny story though about bossing the dutchie around. One of my cats is the same way and its hilarious.

I would post some pictures of my girl for comparison, but I dont have enough good shots :S I should be taking more pictures before she grows up. Also, I dont know how to upload them on here since theyre not posted on the internet anywhere.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

zxs107020 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 pm Interesting article. Two things that it points out are:

"A common misconception found in many internet articles is the claim that dietary protein should be controlled in large breed puppies to prevent skeletal abnormalities. This theory was disproved some years ago (Nap, 1991). "

and also

"Most nutritionists recommend that large, fast growing puppies eat diets containing at least 30% protein and 9% fat (dry matter basis)."

Im glad this is mentioned, because as I said- I dont really have a "medical" justification for insisting on a high protein content. Just my gut instincts tell me: more protein = more better. LOL.

Anyway, I also feed my dog Bully Max and VitaPlus supplements. However, because of Calcium/Phosphorous content, I alternate these and give them on different days. She gets Bully Max 4 days a week and VitaPlus on the other 3 days.

The truth of the matter is that the vitamin supplements probably dont make any difference because she is probably getting all of her nutrients from the Orijen. I asked the vet though and she said the supplements wont hurt the dog, so I give them in the hope that they are subtly making a positive difference in her overall development.

Terrible story about your little dog. He is lucky to have met an owner like yourself who refused to give up on him. I dont know if I would have been able to make the same choice :( so youre definitely very strong. Funny story though about bossing the dutchie around. One of my cats is the same way and its hilarious.

I would post some pictures of my girl for comparison, but I dont have enough good shots :S I should be taking more pictures before she grows up. Also, I dont know how to upload them on here since theyre not posted on the internet anywhere.
You may know this already but a great natural source of joint supplement is beef trachea. It's the main chew I give my dog now, I put a little peanut butter inside when I leave for work in the mornings.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:26 am
You may know this already but a great natural source of joint supplement is beef trachea. It's the main chew I give my dog now, I put a little peanut butter inside when I leave for work in the mornings.
ooh I did not know this. How much do you give? How much is in there? I have a few joint supplements I give because each does not have everything I want. Thalie is old and Sadie has double hd so I wonder if these would be a good addition.
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm
Tennessee3 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:26 am
ooh I did not know this. How much do you give? How much is in there? I have a few joint supplements I give because each does not have everything I want. Thalie is old and Sadie has double hd so I wonder if these would be a good addition.
I give one 3" in the morning typically and if she's being obnoxious I'll give her one at night. Or used to rather, she typically won't sit still long enough to finish (there's much more interesting things to do like harass me till I'll play ) so they're spread throughout the house now LOL

Unfortunately I had the same questions as you but was unable to find the answers. They're coated in cartilage so they naturally have chondroitin and glucosamine. But it's a natural product, and I haven't found any specific numbers. The above was my solution, so I can't recommend them to replace a joint supplement but they're a nice tasty natural addition to a dogs diet.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

thanks !
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm I see this so often and honestly I think it's stupid!!! Let the damn dog eat! What a shit life having to do something for ever meal! This is like people that walk the dog and expect it to heel the whole walk! Let the dog explore sniff walk around! Same here let the dog eat! My dogs eat in their crates or in Yodas case In the pen in the yard... I track and use food for tracking and still feed regularly everyday! Imho let the dog eat and enjoy his food and not be bothered! Bothering them too much can cause food aggression issue or make your dog not eat! That every meal from the hand shit is stupid!!!! Give them a bowl and let them eat!
Ahhhh glad to read this. I feed from a bowl. I use a puzzle bowl now and then to change things up. Rogue gets snacks and sometimes it's from the Kong toys. I feed little bits by hand but not an entire meal. The hours that we feed the dogs are some of our most busiest hours at home, if I fed by hand I would be late every where.

I wouldn't mind being fed by hand... but only by a sexy guy 😍 😜
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Hmmm. I'll have to see where I can get beef trach from in SC. Not a lot of butcher options lol. To grocery stores have the sometimes? (I realize you'd have to ask if they did just like when I got cheap bits when we raw fed). Any ideas?
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm Hmmm. I'll have to see where I can get beef trach from in SC. Not a lot of butcher options lol. To grocery stores have the sometimes? (I realize you'd have to ask if they did just like when I got cheap bits when we raw fed). Any ideas?
Chewy.com Best bully stick beef trachea, $26 for 50 3" chews. Grass fed Brazilian beef.

(I have no financial interest in Chewys, best bully sticks, or beef production in general :lol:)

If you're wanting it to add to a raw diet, a true butchers shop with local sources of meat would probably be your best bet as they'll render their own animals, unlike Kroger who's typically getting beef sides. And there's also online raw food sales, but I can't make any specific recommendations.

ETA low country or upstate? I went to college in Charleston, I still miss it :| (well not right now actually, August was brutal)
Nicholas

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I get stuff from Chewey all of the time. Sadie waits by the door. but I think its more to eat the Fed ex guy than to see whats in the box.
ImageImage
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Tennessee3 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:36 pm
DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm Hmmm. I'll have to see where I can get beef trach from in SC. Not a lot of butcher options lol. To grocery stores have the sometimes? (I realize you'd have to ask if they did just like when I got cheap bits when we raw fed). Any ideas?
Chewy.com Best bully stick beef trachea, $26 for 50 3" chews. Grass fed Brazilian beef.

(I have no financial interest in Chewys, best bully sticks, or beef production in general :lol:)

If you're wanting it to add to a raw diet, a true butchers shop with local sources of meat would probably be your best bet as they'll render their own animals, unlike Kroger who's typically getting beef sides. And there's also online raw food sales, but I can't make any specific recommendations.

ETA low country or upstate? I went to college in Charleston, I still miss it :| (well not right now actually, August was brutal)
Upstate, we're on Lake Wylie! Also didn't realize you were talking about the jerkies trach, they don't last long enough. We tried putting them in a long to make them last longer but they're still gone in seconds. We switched back to bully sticks. Chewy seems more expensive than Amazon... The few things I looked up... Food and treats seemed more expensive so I stuck to Amazon. Maybe it's time to give it another look!
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm I get stuff from Chewey all of the time. Sadie waits by the door. but I think its more to eat the Fed ex guy than to see whats in the box.
Ha ha ha!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I'm always warey of amazon for suppliments, I never know if something has been opened or if its the real deal or not so id rather spend a bit more and go with someone I trust.
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 pm Chewy seems more expensive than Amazon... The few things I looked up... Food and treats seemed more expensive so I stuck to Amazon. Maybe it's time to give it another look!
I had mentioned something similar in another post elsewhere. I was told the stuff on Amazon isnt always legitimate. For example, I could buy Orijen off of there, but Orijen doesnt actually sell to Amazon (or subsidiaries) so who knows whether the food is real or how the seller is getting it. Another good website though is K9 Cuisine. (If youre like me and use Orijen, it is not sold to Chewys anymore).
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

I check shipping origin and sellers out religiously. So far that has proven the product I get. I also scan or look up barcodes to confirm origin.
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

BTW- here are some pics for comparison:
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG (958.34 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17